Getting an apartment in a big city (no past job or lot of $)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TTRansfer

Re: Getting an apartment in a big city (no past job or lot of $)

Postby TTRansfer » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:54 am

snowpeach06 wrote:Moving to DC is making me want to kill myself. Finding a decent place when things are so expensive sucks. I'm litterally on a bus to check out places I hate now to see if I can deal. I'm probably getting a roomie (hopefully I can find a cool one) and still can't afford much. Thank god my dad is willing to co-sign or no landlord would ever let me rent.

So don't live in DC. It's a fuck ton cheaper to live in VA or MD and commute. I live in Alexandria and love it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:04 am

DC is a fucking hard place to live. The housing is incredibly expensive and the traffic is terrible. Good luck snow, good luck.

I wanted to bump this thread and ask people if they've ever tried living in university apartments/dorms without being a student. One of my friends said he did that while living in DC. He actually was able to live in a dorm. It sounds convenient. Anyone try that before in NYC? Thinking about it myself.

guano

Postby guano » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:04 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Other than NYC, you shouldn't have to suck some land lords cock for an apartment. You are a college educated lawyer with a job. Landlords love people like you since you'll pay rent on time and won't trash the place.

Yeah, this has been my experience. I've gotten exceptions to "no pests" policies, for instance, because I looked so darn respectable.

FTFC

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:40 am

TTRansfer wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:Moving to DC is making me want to kill myself. Finding a decent place when things are so expensive sucks. I'm litterally on a bus to check out places I hate now to see if I can deal. I'm probably getting a roomie (hopefully I can find a cool one) and still can't afford much. Thank god my dad is willing to co-sign or no landlord would ever let me rent.

So don't live in DC. It's a fuck ton cheaper to live in VA or MD and commute. I live in Alexandria and love it.

I just found a place in MD, and it's even hard to find a place outside the city if you are on a budget. It's a metro area problem, not just DC.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:52 am

You can find deals in the burbs, but it's still not cheap if want to be near a metro stop.

I'm seeing a lot on padmapper in arlington for under 1500. That's pretty good.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:12 pm

TTRansfer wrote:

Yeah, I actually wound up moving to Arlington. That was my intention all along (because I like being able to drive to run errands), but Arlington isn't any cheaper than DC. I got a pretty good deal on an apartment near the metro, but I'm still spending half my income on it. When I was looking online there were some places in Alexandria that were more affordable (a lot were about what I'm paying now), but the commutes looked like they would range from 45 minutes to an hour, and I just didn't want to deal with that. It takes me 20-30 minutes to get to/from work now. In the rent vs. commute balancing act, I'm probably always going to pay more for a shorter commute.
Anonymous User wrote:DC is a fucking hard place to live. The housing is incredibly expensive and the traffic is terrible. Good luck snow, good luck.

I wanted to bump this thread and ask people if they've ever tried living in university apartments/dorms without being a student. One of my friends said he did that while living in DC. He actually was able to live in a dorm. It sounds convenient. Anyone try that before in NYC? Thinking about it myself.

I had a friend live in a dorm, but it was just for the summer. Even so, it was dorm rooms with no kitchen, so the money she spent eating out (and the weight she gained) made it not worth it.

Return to “Legal Employment”