Getting an apartment in a big city (no past job or lot of $)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Getting an apartment in a big city (no past job or lot of $)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:53 pm

Greetings, I am a recent law school grad. I'm going to be moving to a big city (e.g., LA/NYC/DC) this fall and am planning to move into an apartment. Back when I was a little undergrad, I had to have my mommy and daddy guarantee my lease agreement when I got an apartment. I don't have any parents to do that for me anymore, and I was wondering what all your experiences were like when getting a new apartment by yourself after law school?

I do have a job lined up in this big city, but I have never worked before (anything beyond internships and waiting tables); I use and pay off my credit card, but not too much; and I only have around $9000 in my bank account right now (I hear it's customary for the landlord to ask for your bank account number); but I will have a stream of income coming in in the future (not big law income, though).

As you can see, I'm quite green and am a young buck K-JDer. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Void

Re: Getting an apartment in a big city (no past job or lot of $)

Postby Void » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:Greetings, I am a recent law school grad. I'm going to be moving to a big city (e.g., LA/NYC/DC) this fall and am planning to move into an apartment. Back when I was a little undergrad, I had to have my mommy and daddy guarantee my lease agreement when I got an apartment. I don't have any parents to do that for me anymore, and I was wondering what all your experiences were like when getting a new apartment by yourself after law school?

I do have a job lined up in this big city, but I have never worked before (anything beyond internships and waiting tables); I use and pay off my credit card, but not too much; and I only have around $9000 in my bank account right now (I hear it's customary for the landlord to ask for your bank account number); but I will have a stream of income coming in in the future (not big law income, though).

As you can see, I'm quite green and am a young buck K-JDer. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

I've rented a dozen apartments in my life and I would never give my LL my bank account number. That sounds wrong. But maybe it's a weird regional thing?

So you have no documented income. You'll have a tough time. Consider roommates (I.e. moving in with someone who already has an apartment) for a few months until you get some paychecks. That way you could also get a feel for the city before really settling down.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:36 am

Void wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Greetings, I am a recent law school grad. I'm going to be moving to a big city (e.g., LA/NYC/DC) this fall and am planning to move into an apartment. Back when I was a little undergrad, I had to have my mommy and daddy guarantee my lease agreement when I got an apartment. I don't have any parents to do that for me anymore, and I was wondering what all your experiences were like when getting a new apartment by yourself after law school?

I've rented a dozen apartments in my life and I would never give my LL my bank account number. That sounds wrong. But maybe it's a weird regional thing?

So you have no documented income. You'll have a tough time. Consider roommates (I.e. moving in with someone who already has an apartment) for a few months until you get some paychecks. That way you could also get a feel for the city before really settling down.

Okay, thanks. That's good to know re the bank account #.

Any other thoughts?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:38 am

I don't know about those cities specifically, but usually if you have a job, you can get an offer letter stating your income, and landlords will accept that as verification of income. If you have the first month-last month-deposit required (or whatever is the custom in that city) and verification of income you should be fine.

Void

Postby Void » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:44 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I don't know about those cities specifically, but usually if you have a job, you can get an offer letter stating your income, and landlords will accept that as verification of income. If you have the first month-last month-deposit required (or whatever is the custom in that city) and verification of income you should be fine.

Good point here. I have actually done this before.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:53 am

Used to work as a real estate agent during college summers; I do not think off Ll can do anything with your bank account, but overall that is unheard off in my experience.
Generally, having money for first month, deposit, and last month + proof of income/employment tends to be enough for getting a one-year lease on an apartment.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:56 am

Void wrote:

Just take your offer letter in; you will be fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:08 am

I don't know where I got it in my brain that LLs can check a person's bank account to see how much money they had. Maybe I imagined it because I thought LLs would want to be up all in your financial issues to make sure you weren't some dead beat.

But it seems, based on what you're telling me, as long as I can make a deposit for two month's rent (and a security deposit I guess?) and show the LL an offer letter with my income on it, I should be fine. Correct?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:10 am

Yep. And not all cities require 1st month + last month + deposit - I've only lived in places that just require a deposit - but that would be the most you'd need, I think. (My understanding is that NYC does 1st/last/deposit but I don't know about the others.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:16 am

Thanks Ms. Mouse.

BTW, since yall are such helpful people (THANK YOU!), I thought I'd ask another question. How do I pay my last utility/cable bill? As you can probably garner, I'm going to be moving out my current apartment and into a new one (hopefully). How do I pay for the last utility bill? I'll obviously be moved out by the time it's calculated.

(I have roommates too, but I'm not going to complicate my question by throwing them into the situation. We already got our own system of splitting bills).

And if anyone has contradictory opinions about the above, please let me know! =)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:I don't know where I got it in my brain that LLs can check a person's bank account to see how much money they had. Maybe I imagined it because I thought LLs would want to be up all in your financial issues to make sure you weren't some dead beat.

But it seems, based on what you're telling me, as long as I can make a deposit for two month's rent (and a security deposit I guess?) and show the LL an offer letter with my income on it, I should be fine. Correct?

Yes you should be fine in most places. Of course, this is subjective (not legal, but too costly for you to legally challenge a LL demanding to see bank account), and a LL might be weird, but in that case, you should probably avoid that LL. The standard where I worked however was simply first, last, deposit, and proof of income.

If you are the person named for the bill, tell them to send your last bill at your new address. Then split it with your roommates. Also make sure to tell them that past a particular date, you will no longer be there, so they will not keep on charging you for the expenses of others.
Last edited by Pokemon on Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks Ms. Mouse.

BTW, since yall are such helpful people (THANK YOU!), I thought I'd ask another question. How do I pay my last utility/cable bill? As you can probably garner, I'm going to be moving out my current apartment and into a new one (hopefully). How do I pay for the last utility bill? I'll obviously be moved out by the time it's calculated.

(I have roommates too, but I'm not going to complicate my question by throwing them into the situation. We already got our own system of splitting bills).

Really, dude? I'm surprised you don't have direct bill. You can call and pay over the phone, mail a check, or pay online depending on your provider.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:32 am

dr123 wrote:

Really, dude? I'm surprised you don't have direct bill. You can call and pay over the phone, mail a check, or pay online depending on your provider.

My lack of worldliness (I am your consummate egg head K-JDer) is only matched by my laziness. I never changed from paper to electronic statements.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
dr123 wrote:

My lack of worldliness (I am your consummate egg head K-JDer) is only matched by my laziness. I never changed from paper to electronic statements.

Just call and make a payment or have them forward your bill to your new address.

sap

Postby sap » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:37 am

Some internet-ready form applications do ask for bank account/balance in it. The type of person using this google-able print-off form generally hasn't taken the time to do an actual application. Just say "I'm not giving you my bank accounts..." chances are, they've never really looked that closely. One time a roommate gave me this form, and I was like, dude, no, and he was like, "oh, I just looked for a standard form because my LL wanted some form of application, sorry" (in SF). So it might happen, but generally it'll be because the LL is someone who just does everything themselves because they own one house/apartment and they just googled up a form, rather than because an institutional LL cares.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:38 am

Just be aware of income requirements. You don't have biglaw salary. In NYC at least, they typically want 40 times the rent in income.

tachikara

Postby tachikara » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:51 am

I couldn't meet 40x in my first apartment, so they increased my security deposit instead.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:00 am

Moving to DC is making me want to kill myself. Finding a decent place when things are so expensive sucks. I'm litterally on a bus to check out places I hate now to see if I can deal. I'm probably getting a roomie (hopefully I can find a cool one) and still can't afford much. Thank god my dad is willing to co-sign or no landlord would ever let me rent.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:24 am

OP here. Any LLs ever try to pull fast ones on you guys? Pitfalls to watch out for? I'm going to downplay my whole "just graduated" bit and overplay the working professional in the legal industry schtick. Maybe help my bargaining power? haha

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Any LLs ever try to pull fast ones on you guys? Pitfalls to watch out for? I'm going to downplay my whole "just graduated" bit and overplay the working professional in the legal industry schtick. Maybe help my bargaining power? haha

Its harder with commercial properties vs. Independent landlords, but I've learned it never hurts to ask for a discount. The worst they can say is no. Just stress that you've been a good tenant in the past.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:16 pm

Other than NYC, you shouldn't have to suck some land lords cock for an apartment. You are a college educated lawyer with a job. Landlords love people like you since you'll pay rent on time and won't trash the place.

tachikara

Postby tachikara » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:27 pm

If it's NY, and you find a place that you like, you need to be ready with a checkbook in hand to put down a deposit. Good apartments can go fast.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:43 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Other than NYC, you shouldn't have to suck some land lords cock for an apartment. You are a college educated lawyer with a job. Landlords love people like you since you'll pay rent on time and won't trash the place.

Yeah, this has been my experience. I've gotten exceptions to "no pets" policies, for instance, because I looked so darn respectable.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:37 am

Bump for additional input.

Void

Postby Void » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:Bump for additional input.

Just go for it, dude. I understand your concerns but I assure you that you'll figure this stuff out on your own- it's part of growing up.

Return to “Legal Employment”