Cravath Decision

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
anon123456

Re: Cravath Decision

Postby anon123456 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:had a Thursday interview. got a spot offer. be wary of the no-same-day.

this thursday? corp or lit?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:40 pm

Got a same day offer yesterday (Saturday/24th). All Corp.

For those with offers - anyone say yes yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:14 pm

Anyone interview today and receive an offer?

I thought it went pretty well, but left without an offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:26 pm

Same situation as above. Also haven't received call tonight.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:19 pm

Interviewed on Monday, met the hiring partner but no spot offer/call last night. Did anyone get a spot offer on Monday?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:48 pm

Does Cravath still do same day offers? Went there this week and didn't walk out with an offer. Rejected?!!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:54 pm

I interviewed yesterday and received a spot-offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:16 am

Did anyone get CBs from Cravath later on (so not the first couple of days post-OCI screener at your school)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:43 am

Yeah, I'm genuinely taken aback by my experience there. I had a great day, really enjoyed everyone I met. When I feel good about one of these, I'm usually on considering I have offers on the table from 3 very selective firms. With this, I met 3 partners- spoke to each for over 40 minutes. In the conversation, the way they were speaking, it seemed to tip towards me having impressed them in the sense that they'd want to extend an offer. I have great grades. I met one associate. Went for lunch with two awesome associates. I know for a fact that the corporate hiring partner was there because I had seen his picture and saw him walking around and I was winding down. Nonetheless, I was sent to recruitment with a piece of paper of the people I met with and so far- nothing.

I'm pretty disappointed and surprised as well.

ragelion

Postby ragelion » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah, I'm genuinely taken aback by my experience there. I had a great day, really enjoyed everyone I met. When I feel good about one of these, I'm usually on considering I have offers on the table from 3 very selective firms. With this, I met 3 partners- spoke to each for over 40 minutes. In the conversation, the way they were speaking, it seemed to tip towards me having impressed them in the sense that they'd want to extend an offer. I have great grades. I met one associate. Went for lunch with two awesome associates. I know for a fact that the corporate hiring partner was there because I had seen his picture and saw him walking around and I was winding down. Nonetheless, I was sent to recruitment with a piece of paper of the people I met with and so far- nothing.

How much do you lift tho?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:59 am

Blows, bro. You just never know. Not sure it's dead yet though. Wait it out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah, I'm genuinely taken aback by my experience there. I had a great day, really enjoyed everyone I met. When I feel good about one of these, I'm usually on considering I have offers on the table from 3 very selective firms. With this, I met 3 partners- spoke to each for over 40 minutes. In the conversation, the way they were speaking, it seemed to tip towards me having impressed them in the sense that they'd want to extend an offer. I have great grades. I met one associate. Went for lunch with two awesome associates. I know for a fact that the corporate hiring partner was there because I had seen his picture and saw him walking around and I was winding down. Nonetheless, I was sent to recruitment with a piece of paper of the people I met with and so far- nothing.

Same boat. Met with 4 partners including 1 after lunch. Each one probably lasted almost an hour so I thought I was in good shape. No spot offer though and at this point I'm assuming ding.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:00 am

I'm sorry about the silence but there is too much reliance on your perspective of the interview and not the interviewers'. They are meant to be nice so a good number of the interviews are going to feel like they went well. Focus on other interviews right now. They may call when you least expect. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:46 pm

Pretty much the same experience: 3 partners before lunch, lunch with 2 great associates, meeting with 1 associate after. My interviews were all pleasant, lasting from 30 minutes to 90 minutes, but I think it was obvious to everyone, including myself, that I wasn't a personality fit...plus I questioned the merits of the rotation system, which apparently is a no-no. I left with a piece of paper and received the ding letter yesterday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Pretty much the same experience: 3 partners before lunch, lunch with 2 great associates, meeting with 1 associate after. My interviews were all pleasant, lasting from 30 minutes to 90 minutes, but I think it was obvious to everyone, including myself, that I wasn't a personality fit...plus I questioned the merits of the rotation system, which apparently is a no-no. I left with a piece of paper and received the ding letter yesterday.

What type of people fit at cravath? From my experience there isn't a cravath type. But keep your head up in sure you have other great options.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:38 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What type of people fit at cravath? From my experience there isn't a cravath type. But keep your head up in sure you have other great options.

I don't know if there is necessarily 1 type, but I found partners and several associates there to me a lot more direct, outgoing, and even 'fratty'. All really impressive, hard working, and intelligent, but seemingly a lot less bookish than people at places like Sullivan, Davis Polk, Debevoise, and Cleary.

it really just depends who u meet because none of my cleary/debevoise/davis Polk/sullivan interviewers were bookish. They were all outgoing. And half of my cravath interviewers were bookish. But cravath is one of many great firms if they don't take someone there are a lot of peer firms that will.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:25 pm

When I did my CSM CB, the hiring partner was on a client call and I was unable to meet with him at the end of the day. He called that evening, talked to me for 2 min, and gave me an offer over the phone.

(Note: I am class of 2013, so YMMV now that Damien is no longer the corporate hiring partner)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I am not disappointed at all (other offers help!), but thanks for the cheer! I realized I didn't fit in there, so it wasn't a surprise. I'm truly not comfortable in a place as buttoned-up and formal as Cravath. The hierarchy was just too in your face and everything is way too bound up in the rotation. I am more of a free-market type.

And I don't agree with the generalization made about DPW, S&C, Cleary being more bookish than Cravath; my experience is quite the opposite and I felt more comfortable with the culture/friendliness at Cleary and DPW.

But really the point of my post is that just as I was figuring out whether I would fit in there, they were figuring out the same thing. I fit better at DPW.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:35 am

Yeah, I also was interested in CSM because I thought they were less bookish than S&C, yet more professional than Skadden.

I interviewed there on Wed., no meeting with hiring partner and left with a piece of paper. No ding letter, but I assume that's a product of Labor Day. Should be arriving Tuesday. FML.

Return to “Legal Employment”