How Late is Too Late? - DPW, Paul Weiss

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How Late is Too Late? - DPW, Paul Weiss

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:18 pm

I've got DPW on the 6th and Paul Weiss on the 12th. I responded very quickly for both but these were the earliest times that I could schedule (Paul Weiss even had interview days open for the entire week after the 12th). Both dates seem ridiculous.

Anyone out there with experience interviewing that late in the game? Any advice? I'm worried that both interviews could be an exercise in futility. I know a lot of other T14's just finished up OCI so there may be others from peer schools interviewing at that time which would mean they probably leave some spots open but I have to think that a majority of firms' classes are filled by that point.

goldeneye

Re: How Late is Too Late? - DPW, Paul Weiss

Postby goldeneye » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:38 pm

This is a silly question partly because the answer shouldn't change how you approach the interview. Do your best regardless. They wouldn't pay to host you or waste attorney time (30 minutes at $500/hour) if they had no intention of giving you a chance.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:08 pm

There are tons of people at NYU who have interviews at Sept 10th, and even Sept 17th, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:14 pm

I got a callback today and scheduled it for late next week. I know that's still a week earlier than OP, but would that be considered late too? I was told by a different recruiting coordinator that it's best to schedule callbacks for your favorite firms a little later because you only get better at interviewing as the process goes by. So I decided to leave some space before this firm so I can do a few callbacks first. Only about 9-11 days later than the first opening, but do you think I should call back and try to move it up?

Which leads me to my second question. How do most firms actually make their hiring decisions? At the end of each week? All together at the end? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:15 pm

do you think there is some tactic on the firm's part for this? seems like I know a lot of people at HYS with much earlier CB dates.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:29 pm

Both Chicago and Stanford's OCI starts this week and lasts till 8/29...

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was told by a different recruiting coordinator that it's best to schedule callbacks for your favorite firms a little later because you only get better at interviewing as the process goes by.

Hiring is generally rolling...this is terrible advice.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:48 pm

Icculus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was told by a different recruiting coordinator that it's best to schedule callbacks for your favorite firms a little later because you only get better at interviewing as the process goes by.

Firms with large classes must have some sort of idea about yield rates. They aren't just handing out offers until they fill a class up. Sept. 6 is still in the heart of callback season. I'm not sure why everyone thinks they can only over overfill a class. It seems just as likely they'd ding too many people early and have to be easier later.

I'd be more concerned with firms with tiny SA classes regarding timing.

I'm sure timing is somewhat of a factor, but TLS this year is way overhyping how important when your callback is.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:58 pm

I work at [one of those firms] and am quite close with [a person extremely influential to our hiring process], and have no reason to believe you would be at any kind of disadvantage whatsoever based on that timing.

These firms are big enough that while hiring is rolling, this timing is not going to be a major factor.

Also if I wind up interviewing anybody on [that date] I'll try to read your soul and see if you're the nervous one from TLS : ]

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I work at [one of those firms] and am quite close with [a person extremely influential to our hiring process], and have no reason to believe you would be at any kind of disadvantage whatsoever based on that timing.

These firms are big enough that while hiring is rolling, this timing is not going to be a major factor.

Also if I wind up interviewing anybody on [that date] I'll try to read your soul and see if you're the nervous one from TLS : ]

Same here. I'll mark my calendar for that date. I'm biased in thinking that TLSers make great associates so try to hint that you're a
TLSer to everyone you interview on that date. Let's make the code word - "ducky tie"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:08 pm

Some great advice that will likely soothe your nerves is that if you are from a T14 school, most major firms are concerned about making sure they have people from YOUR school in their summer class. now obviously this doesn't apply to elite smaller firms, nor to a smaller satellite office of a big firm, but does it apply to DPW and Paul Weiss NY? You bet it does.

If your entire class year at your school was doing CBs say, a week earlier than you at each firm, then I'd be concerned. But if they are doing CBs at the same time, dont worry about the other schools. These firms likely have seats reserved for people from YOUR school. They don't want a total blackout from a T14 school in any given summer class, especially if its a school they regularly take several students from.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:46 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Icculus wrote:

Firms with large classes must have some sort of idea about yield rates. They aren't just handing out offers until they fill a class up. Sept. 6 is still in the heart of callback season. I'm not sure why everyone thinks they can only over overfill a class. It seems just as likely they'd ding too many people early and have to be easier later.

I'd be more concerned with firms with tiny SA classes regarding timing.

I'm sure timing is somewhat of a factor, but TLS this year is way overhyping how important when your callback is.

My point is simply that I don't think it makes sense to postpone an interview so you can interview other places and get experience. By CBs people should be ready to interview. Do I think a few days difference is really going to matter? Probably not, but at the same time, due to scheduling conflicts with other firms I could not make it to a CB at a particular firm for two weeks. By the time I had gotten there I think they had already made several offers to people from my school, and like 6 or 7 accepted, while I doubt that is the only reason I didn't get an offer I think it played a part.

Return to “Legal Employment”