Have you had firms refuse to reimburse?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Have you had firms refuse to reimburse?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:14 pm

I am traveling to the Bay Area for 3 firm CB's but will be staying for four hotel nights (given the timing of my callbacks). Have you ever had a firm refuse to reimburse for a hotel night? Would not like to pay for $500/night out of pocket.

Re: Have you had firms refuse to reimburse?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am traveling to the Bay Area for 3 firm CB's but will be staying for four hotel nights (given the timing of my callbacks). Have you ever had a firm refuse to reimburse for a hotel night? Would not like to pay for $500/night out of pocket.

Standard policy is one night per interview. Either motel 6 the middle night, or fly back and forth. Maybe they budge but they don't have to.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:26 pm

Contact your host firm and explain? I'm sure this has happened before. I'm sure it would be cheaper than each firm paying for airfare. Maybe say you're willing to do that but noticed this would be cheaper?

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am traveling to the Bay Area for 3 firm CB's but will be staying for four hotel nights (given the timing of my callbacks). Have you ever had a firm refuse to reimburse for a hotel night? Would not like to pay for $500/night out of pocket.

Standard policy is one night per interview. Either motel 6 the middle night, or fly back and forth. Maybe they budge but they don't have to.

This.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:06 pm

ImNoScar wrote:Contact your host firm and explain? I'm sure this has happened before. I'm sure it would be cheaper than each firm paying for airfare. Maybe say you're willing to do that but noticed this would be cheaper?

This. I did something similar recently for NYC firms on short notice. Just one-way the plane ticket was $1100. I mentioned the situation to the recruiter during the interview (just talking about my interest in NYC and how much i'd been flying up and back) and she said they would have been happy to just pay for the extra night of hotel instead. Of course, this will vary by firm and maybe even by recruiter but its worth a shot, especially if the hotel is, as you said, $500/night (which I doubt because even the Waldorf isn't $500/night).

Edit: Of course, there's also the possibility that this rocks the boat too much with a firm and hurts your chances. I don't think that's very likely to happen but its often easier to tip-toe around as softly as possible and not make waves.

Return to “Legal Employment”