Being/Looking Young -- Detrimental to Interviews?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
walnuto

Being/Looking Young -- Detrimental to Interviews?

Postby walnuto » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:17 pm

Has anyone had this experience? I am a younger law student, and I'm wondering if partners tend to screen out younger-looking candidates since it looks less professional in front of clients.

acrossthelake

Re: Being/Looking Young -- Detrimental to Interviews?

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:22 pm

I look rather young. Just the other day somebody asked me if I was going to be starting college this fall! This didn't hurt me in interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:27 pm

I'm 21 and just went through OCI. I also look even younger than my age (carded at movie theaters, asked what grade I'm in during haircuts). My performance has been consistent with my grades and work experience (none).

Void

Postby Void » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm 21 and just went through OCI.

Dear god, what the fuck are you doing at OCI? Return to undergrad and get drunk immediately. You're wasting the best years of your life.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:35 pm

I just went on a callback last week where the interviewer kept telling me I was 12 (I'm 22). I don't know how that went over, but I should find out in a week or so.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:46 pm

Void wrote:

Dear god, what the fuck are you doing at OCI? Return to undergrad and get drunk immediately. You're wasting the best years of your life.

I was thinking I could do this during 2L and 3L?

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Void wrote:

I was thinking I could do this during 2L and 3L?

Dude thats awesome. I would love to be starting my career that young. I'm 23 turning 24 and just did OCI. Would love to roll back the clock and be making 6 figures at the age I am now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:51 am

Anecdotal of course, but the one screener where the partner made mention of how he too had gone straight from undergrad to law school and felt so much younger than all his peers is the one screener that has resulted in a callback for me so far. Though admittedly I'm still waiting to hear from about 10 firms. So it, like everything else, is entirely circumstantial. Some partners may surely be turned off by it, while others may find it as grounds for establishing a connection. There's nothing worth over-thinking. I'm 22 btw.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:59 am

21 and went through OCI as well. Didn't hurt me, but we'll see as offers/dings roll around.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:42 am

I don't think so. I'm Asian and straight through. People have asked what year I am in high school outside of OCI. I don't think anyone looks that young in a suit. The callbacks I have had were from screeners where the interviewer ranged in age from mid-30s to late 50s. It really doesn't matter.

androstan

Postby androstan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:20 pm

Woman, advantage.
Man, disadvantage.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:28 pm

Also get the "what year are you" in high school/college question a lot. Decent but not great grades and have still done plenty well at interviews. I think it's more based on connection, no matter the age gap with your interviewer. All of is anecdotal though.

Return to “Legal Employment”