Cancel CB?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cancel CB?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:01 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Cancel CB?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:02 pm

Nota bene - I live in the same area as the firm, so they haven't incurred travel expenses.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got an offer at my #1 firm but have a CB tomorrow at 10:30 a.m. I have a sneaking suspicion the recruiting manager will be checking email tonight. Is it insane to cancel this late?

I'm in a similar position. I think the standard advice is to give at least 24 hours notice (48 is preferable), but obviously the actual ramifications for you are likely to be nil. But you should still go. It's only half a day.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:06 pm

thanks for replying. it's decided then. would you mind deleting the quoted portion? killing this thread.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got an offer at my #1 firm but have a CB tomorrow at 10:30 a.m. I have a sneaking suspicion the recruiting manager will be checking email tonight. Is it insane to cancel this late?

I'm in a similar position. I think the standard advice is to give at least 24 hours notice (48 is preferable), but obviously the actual ramifications for you are likely to be nil. But you should still go. It's only half a day.

If you are 100% certain that you would not accept an offer from this firm, cancel. Even on 10 minutes' notice. Trust me, the attorneys whose time you would otherwise be wasting will thank you for it. I really don't understand the advice of people who think you should waste the time of the attorneys who are going to interview you (never mind your own time).

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:40 pm

Wasting people's time is the far more annoying option. And cancelling opens spots for other people

enibs

Postby enibs » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:05 pm

In addition, if you interview with a firm that you no longer have any interest in, and let yourself be considered for an offer, you may be taking an offer away from one of your classmates. Most firms have target offer ranges by school - an offer for you is likely to mean no offer for someone else from your school who would have received an offer had you not been a candidate. Once you are sure you are no longer interested in a firm, you will be doing everyone a favor by withdrawing, no matter what stage of the process.

harbin

Postby harbin » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:32 pm

Ask your CSO. Many have pretty stringent on-campus cancellation policies that might extend to outside interviews and CBs as well. Not sure how these would be enforced though.

Return to “Legal Employment”