Callback research

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Callback research

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:05 pm

So I went through all the usual channels for screener research (Chambers, X&Y.com, Vault, ATL, TLS) - what should I be prepared for during my callbacks? I've heard the interview is more like a 50/50 split me selling them/them selling me, so I assume there will be a lot more room for me questioning them.

OneMoreLawHopeful

Re: Callback research

Postby OneMoreLawHopeful » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:35 pm

The websites you cited are great for firm-wide research, but can be terrible for office-specific research. Look at the website of the firm and look at what they actually do at the office your CB is with.

When you do that, be sure to look at "recent representations" for the partners at the office. Most big firms claim they do everything at every office, but on closer inspection the offices are actually more focused than that. Also, if at all possible, look up the actual attorneys you are interviewing with (they usually give you names a day or two in advance).

This will help you develop more inviting questions. As an example of why, even if the firm has a massive antitrust practice, a question about antitrust won't go anywhere if you've talking to an IP associate at an office that doesn't cross staff any of the antitrust matters.

BostonLove

Postby BostonLove » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:32 pm

This is likely a dumb question: what is x&y.com? Nothing came up for me on google.

Sorry, I don't have anything to add in response to CB prep.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:10 pm

BostonLove wrote:This is likely a dumb question: what is x&y.com? Nothing came up for me on google.

firm website. My bad

BostonLove

Postby BostonLove » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BostonLove wrote:This is likely a dumb question: what is x&y.com? Nothing came up for me on google.

firm website. My bad

Oh.... that makes a lot of sense. Sorry for the idiot moment! :)

Best of luck in the interview!

Return to “Legal Employment”