should I choose major or minor dept for callback

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

should I choose major or minor dept for callback

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:29 pm

I have an upcoming CB and I am supposed to choose which department I am interested in so they can pair me with those attorneys. I am interested in a bunch of things and at this point would be okay with any department as long as I get hired. However, I could either choose litigation (which is a huge department), or I could choose a smaller department (like enviro, tax, real estate, etc).
I definitely have an interest in some of the smaller departments, but I'm okay with general lit as well. Would I be at a disadvantage if I choose a small dept? Maybe it would give me a higher chance to get hired since everyone else will choose litigation/corporate, so less competition for me. BUT at the same time, maybe the small department is not looking for more people so if I choose it, would it ruin my chances to get hired?

Anonymous User

Re: should I choose major or minor dept for callback

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:27 pm

If you think most folks are going to go for gen lit then I would pick a smaller department that you think will be unpopular and sell yourself hard.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:07 pm

1. how do I find out which smaller dept needs people?
2. does it matter in the hiring decision which dept I pick? as in, would they decide whether to give me an offer depending on which dept I choose for the CB?

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:09 pm

I would just choose the biggest practice area. Going for a smaller one is risky.

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:58 pm

Danger Zone wrote:I would just choose the biggest practice area. Going for a smaller one is risky.

I agree with this. You'll really have to show why you are interested. Probably hiring less people as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:41 am

goldeneye wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:I would just choose the biggest practice area. Going for a smaller one is risky.

I agree with this. You'll really have to show why you are interested. Probably hiring less people as well.

I agree twice over. Had a screener with a firm wherein I expressed my (genuine) interest in real estate and was told how, the year prior, the firm "was not looking to hire anyone in anything outside of litigation" but for this year she was not entirely sure whether they'd be hiring outside of litigation. Now for me, I'd rather not get that job than to wind up practicing in an area that doesn't necessarily interest me. I won't bore you with my personal life story and how I COULD see myself doing litigation, but if you honestly think you'll be happy in lit, I suggest you stick to it.

As I've heard from a NUMBER of firms (I rarely omit my interest in transactional work during interviews), post-recession, many firms are in little hurry to expand their transactional practices. Besides, many firms will allow you try out different practice areas during your summer, so expressing an interest in lit won't preclude you from trying transactional in most cases. However, expressing an interest in transactional may cause you to be precluded from an offer altogether if they're not looking to build up that practice. My two cents.

Return to “Legal Employment”