How do you handle invitations to a firm that is hours away?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Hutz_and_Goodman

How do you handle invitations to a firm that is hours away?

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:55 pm

When you get an invite to a firm that is far away, how do you handle it? Got invite to Hogan Lovells DC, and the recruiter asked when I would be in town (i.e. they won't be paying). I could fly there or long drive. I have other applications at other DC firms, so does it make sense to wait and try to do multiple preliminary interviews at the same time?

Anonymous User

Re: How do you handle invitations to a firm that is hours away?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:59 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:When you get an invite to a firm that is far away, how do you handle it? Got invite to Hogan Lovells DC, and the recruiter asked when I would be in town (i.e. they won't be paying). I could fly there or long drive. I have other applications at other DC firms, so does it make sense to wait and try to do multiple preliminary interviews at the same time?

Schedule the Hogan interview. Follow up with other firms letting them know when you'll be in town. There really is no other practical way to do this You can't wait around for those other interviews to possibly materialize.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:When you get an invite to a firm that is far away, how do you handle it? Got invite to Hogan Lovells DC, and the recruiter asked when I would be in town (i.e. they won't be paying). I could fly there or long drive. I have other applications at other DC firms, so does it make sense to wait and try to do multiple preliminary interviews at the same time?

Schedule the Hogan interview. Follow up with other firms letting them know when you'll be in town. There really is no other practical way to do this You can't wait around for those other interviews to possibly materialize.

I know this makes sense, but even if I do the drive at a minimum I'm going to spend $300 (gas + 1 night of hotel) unless I stay with a friend outside of DC and drive in, that just seems like a huge amount of money given that it is a first round interview (but obviously Hogan is not coming to my OCI so this is my only way to interview there).

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:09 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I know this makes sense, but even if I do the drive at a minimum I'm going to spend $300 (gas + 1 night of hotel) unless I stay with a friend outside of DC and drive in, that just seems like a huge amount of money given that it is a first round interview (but obviously Hogan is not coming to my OCI so this is my only way to interview there).

Do they do phone or Skype interviews? I did a Skype interview with my 1L firm.

haus

Postby haus » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:46 pm

What is your level of need for this possible job? How badly do you want the job that this interview may represent?

If you have a lot of other options, you do not really want to be in the DC area, or you simply feel freaked out about being more than 20 miles away from your living room, maybe you want to let this go.

If this is a budget issue, I get that. I spent a few semesters where I would travel from Northern Virginia (where I lived and worked) to Massachusetts one night a week to attend classes (returning the following morning). Yes travel can stink, and it can be expensive, but if you are up against it you can find ways to make it fairly affordable. For instance, the hotel room is a nice to have, not a necessity (if you can afford it great, if not sleep at the airport or in your car). Try to schedule you meeting for the day that you arrive, as long as business has been taken care of, it matters little if you look disheveled the following day.

Good luck with whatever path that you choose.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:34 pm

haus wrote:What is your level of need for this possible job? How badly do you want the job that this interview may represent?

That's really the question. I know more than one person who flew to Chicago for as little as two or even one interview at the Loyola Patent law fair. And one of the one-interview wonders got the job.

For a good firm in a good market, if $$$ allows, I would drive/fly out to a CB anywhere on my own tab in a heartbeat. But then I am a 3L with average credentials.

Are you sure it's a preliminary interview? Generally when a firm invites you to the office, it's a CB.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
haus wrote:What is your level of need for this possible job? How badly do you want the job that this interview may represent?

That's really the question. I know more than one person who flew to Chicago for as little as two or even one interview at the Loyola Patent law fair. And one of the one-interview wonders got the job.

For a good firm in a good market, if $$$ allows, I would drive/fly out to a CB anywhere on my own tab in a heartbeat. But then I am a 3L with average credentials.

Are you sure it's a preliminary interview? Generally when a firm invites you to the office, it's a CB.

This is a screener interview not a CB. For a CB I would definitely go.

Return to “Legal Employment”