leverage your CB?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

leverage your CB?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:16 am

I was advised by my school's OCS to leverage my CB by telling other firms located in the same area that I'll have a CB at XXX days and would love to use the opportunity to talk about working with them as a SA. To clarify, this is to reach out to firms that I haven't got CB or rejections from yet.

I don't really see the rational of doing so. Are firms more likely to give you a CB simply because you're in the neighborhood on other firms' expense?

rad lulz

Re: leverage your CB?

Postby rad lulz » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:I was advised by my school's OCS to leverage my CB by telling other firms located in the same area that I'll have a CB at XXX days and would love to use the opportunity to talk about working with them as a SA. To clarify, this is to reach out to firms that I haven't got CB or rejections from yet.

I don't really see the rational of doing so. Are firms more likely to give you a CB simply because you're in the neighborhood on other firms' expense?

In a word, yes, but the firms usually split the expenses

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:19 am

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was advised by my school's OCS to leverage my CB by telling other firms located in the same area that I'll have a CB at XXX days and would love to use the opportunity to talk about working with them as a SA. To clarify, this is to reach out to firms that I haven't got CB or rejections from yet.

So...you're a better candidate because firms can save a few hundred of bucks on CB expense on you?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

So...you're a better candidate because firms can save a few hundred of bucks on CB expense on you?

More that it shows desirability and commitment to the area

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:49 am

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

More that it shows desirability and commitment to the area

That makes more sense to me! Thank you!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:47 am

any risks associated with doing so?

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:58 am

Also if you are in the area and they are slow on making their CB decisions, having to pay less to have you there may make them make a faster decision.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:any risks associated with doing so?

Not really

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:06 am

I did exactly this last year and I got a CB from a firm that did not extend a formal one after our initial screener. I then got that offer and worked there this past summer.

swtlilsoni

Postby swtlilsoni » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:10 am

you mean you had already received a rejection from them? or you hadn't heard from them at all yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:14 am

swtlilsoni wrote:you mean you had already received a rejection from them? or you hadn't heard from them at all yet.

It was a soft rejection. "We are not able to extend you a formal callback right now, but if you are in area and want to chat with any attorneys from our firm, please let us know." Overall I think they were testing my dedication to the area and did not want to waste money flying me in if I was not actually that interested.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:15 am

swtlilsoni wrote:you mean you had already received a rejection from them? or you hadn't heard from them at all yet.

OP here. I was referring to firms that haven't heard a word from.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:26 pm

Is there anyone who advises against leveraging callbacks?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:06 am

I am applying to two different offices of one firm and have already received a CB for one office (less preferred). I will also be in the city of the other office (more preferred) next week for CB's.

Should I still try to leverage callbacks with this firm? Will doing so make it harder for me to sell myself at office #2 and hurt my chances there? Office #1 is in my preferred legal market, but I haven't heard back yet.

I'm thinking that a CB in the hand is worth two in the bush, but I would love to hear other people's thoughts on this situation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:11 pm

Can anyone help me out with my question above?

Return to “Legal Employment”