Ask to be host firm?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Ask to be host firm?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:02 am

Do you have to call up a firm and ask the recruiter if the firm would be willing to be a host firm for a week, or do you just use it as a host firm without asking?

Anonymous User

Re: Ask to be host firm?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:14 pm

No, you don't need to ask. When you call the travel person, let me know that you are visiting other firms. They will split the cost, but you need to pick a host firm. I go with the firm that requires the least out of pocket expense. I'd rather the cost go directly to the firm versus completing reimbursement forms for air and hotel.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:21 pm

Yeah, just pick a firm to host and call the travel department. They usually include the number for the travel department in the CB email.

You might also consider which hotel each firm uses.

fingerscrossedxx

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:29 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:Yeah, just pick a firm to host and call the travel department. They usually include the number for the travel department in the CB email.

You might also consider which hotel each firm uses.

How does one find this out? Asking the recruiting department? TLS?

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:31 pm

fingerscrossedxx wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:You might also consider which hotel each firm uses.

How does one find this out? Asking the recruiting department? TLS?

I've been able to find it out in a lot of cases through TLS and/or friends with CBs at the same firms.

I guess it's not that important, but some hotels are more or less conveniently located. And it can be a great chance to stay in some extremely expensive hotels. I'm booked into a Four Seasons next week, and I know I missed out on another Four Seasons by choosing the wrong host firm. Gives you something to think about besides the stress of CB season.

harbin

Postby harbin » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:34 pm

Sorry to slightly derail, but once you've submitted your reimbursement to the host firm how long does it generally take for them to get back to you?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:35 pm

Some firms include their preferred hotels on the travel memo sent with your CB info. Most of the time, they will book the hotel closest to the host firm, which may be an additional consideration. I don't think it should be a top concern. Pick the host firm with the least out of pocket expense and roll from there.

Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:37 pm

Reimbursements: I was told 2-4 weeks, depending on the billing department at the firm.

Return to “Legal Employment”