Current Silicon Valley Summer Associate taking questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
walnuto

Re: Current Silicon Valley Summer Associate taking questions

Postby walnuto » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:38 pm

..." what worked or didn't at OCI, what pissed people off about fellow summers"

Would like to know the answer to both subjects :)

Donkeykongmadness

Postby Donkeykongmadness » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can you say how long it took for you to hear back after a callback?

1-2 days but in some cases it was 2 weeks.

Donkeykongmadness

Postby Donkeykongmadness » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:32 pm

walnuto wrote:..." what worked or didn't at OCI, what pissed people off about fellow summers"

Would like to know the answer to both subjects :)

Sure, but could you be a bit more specific? I could write a book on either of those subjects. :)

Donkeykongmadness

Postby Donkeykongmadness » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any thoughts on Goodwin's young office?

What do you mean?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:51 pm

Hey any thoughts on WSGR antitrust practice. I interviewed in DC and really liked the vibe. Trying to decide between them and a magic circle firm i like, headquartered in dc

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:54 pm

Any example of "lack of enthusiasm" that you've heard lately?

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:59 pm

I'm guessing you work less than people in NYC corporate, but are your hours inconsistent enough that it's still difficult to keep plans with friends, etc.?

On a totally different note, any idea what exit options are like for litigators in the traditional SF/SV firms like WSGR, Orrick and MoFo? Is it just a lot of IP litigators going in-house at tech companies? I know this outside your realm of experience but maybe you have some second-hand info.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:15 pm

Yukos wrote:I'm guessing you work less than people in NYC corporate, but are your hours inconsistent enough that it's still difficult to keep plans with friends, etc.?

On a totally different note, any idea what exit options are like for litigators in the traditional SF/SV firms like WSGR, Orrick and MoFo? Is it just a lot of IP litigators going in-house at tech companies? I know this outside your realm of experience but maybe you have some second-hand info.

Why would a summer's hours be inconsistent?

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:27 pm

bk1 wrote:
Yukos wrote:I'm guessing you work less than people in NYC corporate, but are your hours inconsistent enough that it's still difficult to keep plans with friends, etc.?

Why would a summer's hours be inconsistent?

Oops forgot this was a summer. So, uh, I guess my questions aren't relevant at all to your situation, sorry.

Donkeykongmadness

Postby Donkeykongmadness » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey any thoughts on WSGR antitrust practice. I interviewed in DC and really liked the vibe. Trying to decide between them and a magic circle firm i like, headquartered in dc

While Wilson's group may be fine (I have no idea), I would stay away from a specialty niche group like that. Focus on being a generalist in your early years and learn the ins and outs of servicing startups and emerging growth companies. Then after a couple years of trying various projects start to focus on a couple areas and then lateral if you want.

Donkeykongmadness

Postby Donkeykongmadness » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any example of "lack of enthusiasm" that you've heard lately?

Sometimes too much enthusiasm is a negative so keep that in mind.

Lack of enthusiasm: not trying to to save associates and partners time and doing sloppy work, not going to firm events (jfc, how hard is it to just close out your social life for 2-3 months?), walking around like you're on vacation. Big law is about workin hard and playing hard.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:21 pm

Got a ding from a callback from one of these places

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:00 am

Donkeykongmadness wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey any thoughts on WSGR antitrust practice. I interviewed in DC and really liked the vibe. Trying to decide between them and a magic circle firm i like, headquartered in dc

While Wilson's group may be fine (I have no idea), I would stay away from a specialty niche group like that. Focus on being a generalist in your early years and learn the ins and outs of servicing startups and emerging growth companies. Then after a couple years of trying various projects start to focus on a couple areas and then lateral if you want.

I doubt Wilson's antitrust practice is servicing startups.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:14 pm

From what you've seen, how realistic is it for a non-hard science background (i.e. humanities major in undergrad) to SA after having expressed a particular interest in (hard) IP lit?

I know there are quite a few mid to senior level associates and partners with that sort of background, but at least one attorney has told me off-hand that it's somewhat of an uphill battle in this market for non-engineers to break into IP lit. Thanks in advance.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:From what you've seen, how realistic is it for a non-hard science background (i.e. humanities major in undergrad) to SA after having expressed a particular interest in (hard) IP lit?

I know there are quite a few mid to senior level associates and partners with that sort of background, but at least one attorney has told me off-hand that it's somewhat of an uphill battle in this market for non-engineers to break into IP lit. Thanks in advance.

(Not OP)

It depends on the firm. Some firms (e.g. Quinn) don't care and let anybody go into patent lit. Other firms do care and prefer that science people go into patent lit.

Donkeykongmadness

Postby Donkeykongmadness » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:26 pm

I think it's less common at SV firms where engineers and science back grounds with a JD Degree are plentiful.

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:From what you've seen, how realistic is it for a non-hard science background (i.e. humanities major in undergrad) to SA after having expressed a particular interest in (hard) IP lit?

(Not OP)

It depends on the firm. Some firms (e.g. Quinn) don't care and let anybody go into patent lit. Other firms do care and prefer that science people go into patent lit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:36 pm

Have a CB with Cooley, really like them but everyone I speak in the valley says "WSGR is the best". Any idea on how Cooley does distinguish or likes to think it distinguishes itself from WSGR? They're obviously competing for work, I'm just wondering if Cooley has a slightly different business model or expertise or client approach.

Donkeykongmadness

Postby Donkeykongmadness » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:06 pm

Cooley = better culture (more relaxed), more focused on biotech.
Wilson has a silo business model so the firm is more of a collection of smaller firms.

Anonymous User wrote:Have a CB with Cooley, really like them but everyone I speak in the valley says "WSGR is the best". Any idea on how Cooley does distinguish or likes to think it distinguishes itself from WSGR? They're obviously competing for work, I'm just wondering if Cooley has a slightly different business model or expertise or client approach.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:28 am

Donkeykongmadness wrote:Cooley = better culture (more relaxed), more focused on biotech.
Wilson has a silo business model so the firm is more of a collection of smaller firms.

Anonymous User wrote:Have a CB with Cooley, really like them but everyone I speak in the valley says "WSGR is the best". Any idea on how Cooley does distinguish or likes to think it distinguishes itself from WSGR? They're obviously competing for work, I'm just wondering if Cooley has a slightly different business model or expertise or client approach.

FWIW, I was told Wilson is moving away from the silo model toward a system with one large corporate group with a central assignment coordinator.

Donkeykongmadness

Postby Donkeykongmadness » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:09 pm

Summer associate season is starting up again, so I thought I'd refresh this to see if I can help assuage anyone's anxiety.

I worked in Corporate at a SV firm last summer. Will be starting at the firm this fall.

Fire away.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:22 pm

Thanks for answering questions!

For someone with tech experience but no hard-science background interested in tech transactional (esp. for start-ups), what is the best way to approach OCI? I guess first in terms of telling a firm whether I am interested in corporate trans vs. IP trans? Anything else you think is helpful. Apologize if this is a stupid 1L question with an obvious answer.

Donkeykongmadness

Postby Donkeykongmadness » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for answering questions!

For someone with tech experience but no hard-science background interested in tech transactional (esp. for start-ups), what is the best way to approach OCI? I guess first in terms of telling a firm whether I am interested in corporate trans vs. IP trans? Anything else you think is helpful. Apologize if this is a stupid 1L question with an obvious answer.

Most corporate associates in SV firms aren't hard science backgrounds. Many have a personal interest in tech or start-ups. Communicate that interest in a way where you don't seem like an opportunist, but like someone who is genuinely interested. For example, one might say "I've met many entrepreneurs over the course of my adult life and I really respect their energy and vision." Then explain a short anecdote or something to bring it home. That works a lot better than saying "It's crazy how frothy things are getting in the Valley. I wanna get in because these guys are raking it in."

If you are actually interested in IP trans and the firm will allow you to work in IP without a science degree, then mention that you are very interested in IP work but would also enjoy general corporate work if that's what the firm's needs are. Back this up with classes you've taken or guest speakers who have come in to talk about their jobs. The guest speaker angle is a great way of showing your enthusiasm. "In IP classs X, we had a couple of guest speakers come in who talked to us about copyright issue A and it clicked with me." Be specific enough to show you're not bullshitting but keep it brief. No interviewer likes long winded stories.

To show your general start-up interest, say that you don't think you could be an entrepreneur yourself, but you would give your left nut to work with entrepreneurs because you're always amazed at the ideas and ventures that come out of Silicon Valley every day. (Don't say left nut -- you know what I mean). Back that up with news sites you follow like Techcrunch, etc.

Another great way to show interest is to ask how Silicon Valley firm A differentiates itself from other SV firms. Interviewers love to sell their own firms and it will flip the tables by putting you on the buy side of the interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:16 am

I'm in the process of bidding for PLIP, and having trouble distinguishing which firms would be (most) interested in my background. I am spending my 1L summer on the East Coast in the Electrical/Software and Mechanical group, doing both pros and lit. I don't have any background with life sciences.

I hope to make it to California (Bay Area Native) for 2L summer. Are any of the major players firms that I should not even waste a bid on? As in they only do life science patent work? Or do all of the major players do enough EE-type litigation that I would have a shot there?

Thanks for taking questions!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:13 am

Donkeykongmadness wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for answering questions!

Most corporate associates in SV firms aren't hard science backgrounds. Many have a personal interest in tech or start-ups. Communicate that interest in a way where you don't seem like an opportunist, but like someone who is genuinely interested. For example, one might say "I've met many entrepreneurs over the course of my adult life and I really respect their energy and vision." Then explain a short anecdote or something to bring it home. That works a lot better than saying "It's crazy how frothy things are getting in the Valley. I wanna get in because these guys are raking it in."

If you are actually interested in IP trans and the firm will allow you to work in IP without a science degree, then mention that you are very interested in IP work but would also enjoy general corporate work if that's what the firm's needs are. Back this up with classes you've taken or guest speakers who have come in to talk about their jobs. The guest speaker angle is a great way of showing your enthusiasm. "In IP classs X, we had a couple of guest speakers come in who talked to us about copyright issue A and it clicked with me." Be specific enough to show you're not bullshitting but keep it brief. No interviewer likes long winded stories.

To show your general start-up interest, say that you don't think you could be an entrepreneur yourself, but you would give your left nut to work with entrepreneurs because you're always amazed at the ideas and ventures that come out of Silicon Valley every day. (Don't say left nut -- you know what I mean). Back that up with news sites you follow like Techcrunch, etc.

Another great way to show interest is to ask how Silicon Valley firm A differentiates itself from other SV firms. Interviewers love to sell their own firms and it will flip the tables by putting you on the buy side of the interview.

I come from a startup background (started/sold my own in UG) and also a short amount of time in finance (M&A, PEG, VC) for the 2 years between UG and LS. Now a 1L and would love to handle the Legal side of the coin from here on out, at least for the foreseeable future. How should i approach this with employers in the SV area. One comment I get from a few groups is a concern I would take another opportunity or start another business and to be honest idk how to respond other than saying, I won't. What's your take on that? I think my background would be of benefit to firms in the VC/Startup space because of my past experience, but I'm not sure how to leverage it to a certain degree.

Donkeykongmadness

Postby Donkeykongmadness » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm in the process of bidding for PLIP, and having trouble distinguishing which firms would be (most) interested in my background. I am spending my 1L summer on the East Coast in the Electrical/Software and Mechanical group, doing both pros and lit. I don't have any background with life sciences.

I hope to make it to California (Bay Area Native) for 2L summer. Are any of the major players firms that I should not even waste a bid on? As in they only do life science patent work? Or do all of the major players do enough EE-type litigation that I would have a shot there?

Thanks for taking questions!

All of the SV firms will appreciate your background. If you were considering the satellite offices, that answer might change as some satellite offices are more life science focused.

Return to “Legal Employment”