Telling a firm they are 1st choice after CB

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273553
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Telling a firm they are 1st choice after CB

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:30 pm

I had a CB with a firm a week and a half ago in my target market. I really liked the firm and think it would be a good fit. Now that OCIs are over (didn't go that well), I'd like to let the firm know that I'm still interested and they are my top choice.

1) I assume email is probably best, but is there any reason a phone call here might be better?
2) I would like to say something along the lines of "after interviewing with other firms from [legal market] during OCI, I believe that your firm is the best fit for me." Good idea? I don't want to seem like I'm bashing the other firms.

Thanks

quesniot
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:18 pm

Re: Telling a firm they are 1st choice after CB

Postby quesniot » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:34 pm

I think that's fine. In thank you notes / emails it is appropriate to express interest and state that the firm is your top choice. It will be quite awkward if they extend the offer and you go elsewhere. I guess it depends on the market (i.e., NYC you will be forgotten, but a smaller market it may be remembered).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273553
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Telling a firm they are 1st choice after CB

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:36 pm

I dunno. I assume you already sent out thank you emails?

I would be hesitant to make any further communication unless there's some looming deadline prompting it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273553
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Telling a firm they are 1st choice after CB

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I dunno. I assume you already sent out thank you emails?

I would be hesitant to make any further communication unless there's some looming deadline prompting it.


I sent out thank you emails the day after. I thought it was pretty standard to touch base after 2 weeks if you haven't heard anything. It's a larger secondary market, if they changes anything.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273553
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Telling a firm they are 1st choice after CB

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:41 pm

It sounds both awkward and desperate and if it has already been a week and a half since your callback I do not think it is necessary. If it was something you wanted to say during the callback then that would be fine, but at this point it is not worth it.


lolwat
Posts: 604
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: Telling a firm they are 1st choice after CB

Postby lolwat » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It sounds both awkward and desperate and if it has already been a week and a half since your callback I do not think it is necessary. If it was something you wanted to say during the callback then that would be fine, but at this point it is not worth it.


Yeah, pretty much this. You say it right after the callback if you were going to; otherwise, the next chance to say it is when you have another offer pending from another firm and you want to basically use that offer to make your top-choice firm hurry up and make a decision.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273553
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Telling a firm they are 1st choice after CB

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:20 pm

Anecdotally, I told my top choice firm that they were my first choice in an e-mail about 3-4 weeks after the CB, and received an offer later that day. I guess I don't see how it could hurt.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273553
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Telling a firm they are 1st choice after CB

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:22 pm

I did this with my top choice firm and they used that as a reason to offer someone else the job first, knowing I would always be available as a backup. Never got the offer.

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Telling a firm they are 1st choice after CB

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:26 pm

I have a friend who did this right before a different offer was supposed to expire, saying that if he was given the offer, he would accept. He got the offer and spent this past summer there. But I think the urgency of "and I have another offer expiring" made him look less desperate. This seems a bit early.

echooo23
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:29 pm

Re: Telling a firm they are 1st choice after CB

Postby echooo23 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I did this with my top choice firm and they used that as a reason to offer someone else the job first, knowing I would always be available as a backup. Never got the offer.


How do you know this?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273553
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Telling a firm they are 1st choice after CB

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:02 pm

echooo23 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I did this with my top choice firm and they used that as a reason to offer someone else the job first, knowing I would always be available as a backup. Never got the offer.


How do you know this?


Because I pressed the recruiter given how well everything went and she told me.

User avatar
manofjustice
Posts: 1323
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Re: Telling a firm they are 1st choice after CB

Postby manofjustice » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
echooo23 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I did this with my top choice firm and they used that as a reason to offer someone else the job first, knowing I would always be available as a backup. Never got the offer.


How do you know this?


Because I pressed the recruiter given how well everything went and she told me.


Holy shit.

User avatar
manofjustice
Posts: 1323
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Re: Telling a firm they are 1st choice after CB

Postby manofjustice » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:35 pm

Sup Kid wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FltRUoAaGdo


I want to go to that school. Awesome.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273553
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Telling a firm they are 1st choice after CB

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:32 pm

had a CB friday with my first choice firm. one of my interviewers was the current hiring partner.

when i send thank you emails tonight, and if i want to mention that the firm is my top choice, should i just include the "top choice" bit to the hiring partner?

also, is it too much to basically say "because you are my top choice firm, if i am given an offer, i will accept it" ?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273553
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Telling a firm they are 1st choice after CB

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:15 pm

manofjustice wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
echooo23 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I did this with my top choice firm and they used that as a reason to offer someone else the job first, knowing I would always be available as a backup. Never got the offer.


How do you know this?


Because I pressed the recruiter given how well everything went and she told me.


Holy shit.


Not that shocking, I really appreciated the honesty and it was a great life lesson. Everything ended up ok for me in the long run. I ended up getting my job by saying how much I liked my firm, but supplementing that with a "hey I got an offer elsewhere, and if you do not respond by X date, I will have to decline this offer." That worked much better.

There's nothing wrong with saying a firm is your first choice, but it sounds desperate if you dont have other options. Saying "I have an offer at firm x, but i strongly prefer your firm and must give firm X a decision soon" works WAY better than saying a firm is your first choice. Law firms love confirmation that you are highly desired. TLDR: Only mention if in conjunction with another offer deadline otherwise it sounds desperate sort of like the guy who cant get a girl and therefore tells every girl on the first date how its the best first date ever. Only tip your hand once you have other options.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.