Working for Peanuts

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
hoos89

Re: Working for Peanuts

Postby hoos89 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:58 pm

KD35

Postby KD35 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:16 pm

Ask again once you have a job.
Side note: When you don't get this 130k "peanut" position, what will your 45K position be referred to as?

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:37 pm

You should walk into the managing partner's office and ask if he can write you a letter of recommendation to go lateral out to some firm in another market. Then ask when you expect the offer.

But for real? Slim to no chance you can "lateral" now. Those firms that pay the non-peanut pay of 160gs have a perfect lot of SA's they can offer or no-offer at their whim. They could also wait and pick a 2L and have them start in another 2 years.

You need to prove your more than a hotshot law student blowing hella smoke.

Put in your hours and put in your years and lateral out. Otherwise decline the offer and let someone more grateful work for that miserly pittance of $130,000.00.

J. D.

Postby J. D. » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:46 pm

Gorki wrote: Slim to no chance you can "lateral" now. Those firms that pay the non-peanut pay of 160gs have a perfect lot of SA's they can offer or no-offer at their whim. They could also wait and pick a 2L and have them start in another 2 years.

Maybe lateral was/is the wrong word. Not sure what the word is to describe going to OCI (with an offer in hand or a story about my SA not having yet been decided). I called it lateralling, perhaps there is a better description. And no, $130K is only chump change to my feisty friend…. but yeah, if my callbacks offered up an extra +$15K, I’d give it my attention (to me an extra $15K is not peanuts). FWIW: 3L OCI is not nearly as dead as often reported here.

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:56 pm

J. D. wrote:
Gorki wrote: Slim to no chance you can "lateral" now. Those firms that pay the non-peanut pay of 160gs have a perfect lot of SA's they can offer or no-offer at their whim. They could also wait and pick a 2L and have them start in another 2 years.

Maybe lateral was/is the wrong word. Not sure what the word is to describe going to OCI (with an offer in hand or a story about my SA not having yet been decided). I called it lateralling, perhaps there is a better description. And no, $130K is only chump change to my feisty friend…. but yeah, if my callbacks offered up an extra +$15K, I’d give it my attention (to me an extra $15K is not peanuts). FWIW: 3L OCI is not nearly as dead as often reported here.

Yes, the actual statistics produced by NALP are outweighed by your sleigh hint that we are all mistaken.

J. D.

Postby J. D. » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:16 pm

Randomnumbers wrote:Yes, the actual statistics produced by NALP are outweighed by your slight sleigh hint that we are all mistaken.

The NALP stats for 2013….ohh wait a minute there are no stats for 2013… if only they owned a crystal ball. Maybe they could run over to Target and pick one up for five bucks

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:26 pm

J. D. wrote:
Randomnumbers wrote:Yes, the actual statistics produced by NALP are outweighed by your slight sleigh hint that we are all mistaken.

The NALP stats for 2013….ohh wait a minute there are no stats for 2013… if only they owned a crystal ball. Maybe they could run over to Target and pick one up for five bucks

Ok his data is a year old. Where's your data?

Get the fuck out. You sound like an asshat. No one is going to "help" you. I hope you're a troll

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:29 pm

J. D. wrote:

There is absolutely no indication that 3L hiring will improve markedly and there are no predictions that it will. NALP has addressed the idea that overall hiring will be flat compared to last year. I'm not sure why you are arguing this point. If you want another job start gunning for one right now. Or gun for a clerkship if it isnt too late. Maybe you will get lucky. Arguing isn't solving your problem. You have multiple answers to your question. Trading up firms is hit or miss and practice group specific. And you don't have an offer yet to trade up from anyway.
I'm not sure what you are hoping to achieve.

You should have done OCI if you were looking.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:31 pm

mr.hands wrote:
J. D. wrote:

Ok his data is a year old. Where's your data?

Get the fuck out. You sound like an asshat. No one is going to "help" you. I hope you're a troll

Ah, probably a troll. I always get trolled because I prefer to try to help if I can.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:20 am

I'm still waiting for my latte bitch. If you were my fucking paralegal or legal secretary I would have shown you the door already.

Seriously though brah - adjust your attitude. You MAY get this job. MAY. And if you do, realize that are the bottom of the fucking food chain. If you're lucky enough to get an offer - gain some humility quickly. You come in and piss off the wrong senior associate or even the wrong staff member and it will be over pretty quickly for you. You won't get fired - you'll just go nowhere. And looking to move for $15K is fucking TTT (for the record).

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:13 am

It's been made abundantly clear that the OP was tone deaf, and we've wandered away from the issue of trading up in 3L.

Return to “Legal Employment”