Informational Interviews before CB?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Informational Interviews before CB?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:46 pm

I received a CB with a firm where I have only met with one attorney previously. I would like to meet with her again and potentially others before my CB (in September). Is it appropriate to ask her/others to meet for an informational interview in light of my CB?

AntipodeanPhil

Re: Informational Interviews before CB?

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:15 pm

At a callback, they're going to ask you some questions about your background, interest in the firm, etc, and then give you a chance to ask questions about them.

You're asking whether it is appropriate to request an interview where they will ask you some questions about your background, interest in the firm, etc, and then give you a chance to ask questions about them, before the callback?

Sounds fine to me.

hichvichwoh

Postby hichvichwoh » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:39 pm

A better idea is to find an alum or someone else.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:39 pm

hichvichwoh wrote:A better idea is to find an alum or someone else.

Thanks. I'm not looking to contact my interviewer - just someone that I met through networking previously who works at that firm. I was thinking of contacting her again and then an alum from my law school.

ipguy

Postby ipguy » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:48 pm

Nothing wrong with this per-se, why did you schedule the CB so far out?

Your "informational interview" will likely be reported back if you do anything odd, so treat it the same as the CB.

onehellofaride

Postby onehellofaride » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:59 pm

Personally, if I were a hiring partner, which I am not, I would think it was very silly of you to try and schedule an "informational interview" prior to your callback. Just reach out to an alumni at the firm to get answers questioned - but remember that even when you are talking to this alumni you will still be judged and reviewed based on your questions and answers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:12 pm

OP here.

ipguy wrote:Nothing wrong with this per-se, why did you schedule the CB so far out?

Your "informational interview" will likely be reported back if you do anything odd, so treat it the same as the CB.

The firm is starting CBs in September, so I actually got one of the first CB times.

Noted. I was planning on following up with this person anyway, but I'll definitely be even more careful now to treat it more as a CB than a follow up meeting.

onehellofaride wrote:Personally, if I were a hiring partner, which I am not, I would think it was very silly of you to try and schedule an "informational interview" prior to your callback. Just reach out to an alumni at the firm to get answers questioned - but remember that even when you are talking to this alumni you will still be judged and reviewed based on your questions and answers.

That's what I was trying to figure out. I wanted to have a follow up meeting with this attorney anyway, so it isn't through the firm just asking for an informational interview. I would think that is similar to reaching out to random alumni, but I was curious if people thought it would be awkward or if it was a no-go to contact attorneys at the firm prior to a CB.

Thanks for the advice!

Return to “Legal Employment”