USAO DNJ - Summer internship and semester externship

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

USAO DNJ - Summer internship and semester externship

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:03 pm

Have an offer for semester but not sure whether to accept, because I have other opportunities and time constraints. I would take on the externship if it offered good experience. Has anyone on here done either a summer internship or a semester externship? If so, can you anonymously state which one and what your experience consisted of and if you would recommend it to someone interested in white collar matters? Were there good opportunities to network with AUSAs?

Anonymous User

Re: USAO DNJ - Summer internship and semester externship

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:19 pm

Got to sit in on lots of trials. Pretty much all my work was memos. You do get to kind of prosecute misdemeanors (essentially negotiate with Ds accused of parking tickets, small amounts of marijuana possession, etc) which can be fun. Not really much networking opportunity.

kalvano

Re: USAO DNJ - Summer internship and semester externship

Postby kalvano » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:24 pm

I worked in the Dallas USAO office over my spring semester of 2L, and it was hard to juggle classwork and the time commitment to the office. It was also probably the single most fun thing I did during law school, and I would have happily done another semester. I got a lot of writing and research experience, got to attend to several different trials, and got to take a couple of field trips. The people were great, and the work was super interesting. If you have a chance to do it, I wouldn't hesitate. If your experience is half as good as mine was, it'll be the highlight of law school.

Return to “Legal Employment”