Asking For Time Off Before Accepting - Please Help!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Asking For Time Off Before Accepting - Please Help!

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:23 pm

I was offered a post-graduate law clerk position with a midsize firm recently. However, I have a bar trip planned in mid-September, for 2 weeks. Would it be ok for me to ask for the bar trip time off, when I accept the offer? I intend to phrase the request in a way that makes it clear that working for the firm is an absolute priority and that if the trip might cause any conflicts/issues, I'm happy to forgo it. My concern is that I don't want to either come across as ungrateful (by asking for time off right away) or to potentially start the position in any sort of negative light (the clerk position has the potential to turn into an attorney position if there is an opening, so it's almost a trial period before bar results come out). Do you think it would be ok to make the time off request, or would that be unwise?

Please help, I need to respond ASAP to the firm!

Anonymous User

Re: Asking For Time Off Before Accepting - Please Help!

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:26 pm

OP here - also assuming that this might be a reasonable request to make, is it better to make it via telephone or by e-mail (in order to avoid putting the hiring attorney directly on the spot)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:50 pm

Anyone have thoughts on this?

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:54 pm

Accept the offer. Once they receive your response, ask what the start date is, and whether it is flexible. If it's not flexible, cancel your trip.

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:54 pm

I don't see how it could hurt if you phrase it in the way you mentioned. Say you have had a vacation planned for a while for after the bar, and you would very much still like to go on it but that you would be more than willing to cancel if there is any conflict between the position and the vacation.

I would do it over the telephone.

iplulzer

Postby iplulzer » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:01 pm

badaboom61 wrote:Accept the offer. Once they receive your response, ask what the start date is, and whether it is flexible. If it's not flexible, cancel your trip.

Accept the offer. Then TELL them that you have a long -planned trip in mid-September and that you'd rather start in late Sept if possible.

Don't ask whether the start date is flexible. Assume that it is, and that you'll just need to hash out when.

Unless they have some hugely pressing matter for which they need bodies asap, there NO reason you can't start later -- or earlier and take the time off.

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:07 pm

iplulzer wrote:Accept the offer. Then TELL them that you have a long -planned trip in mid-September and that you'd rather start in late Sept if possible.

Don't ask whether the start date is flexible. Assume that it is, and that you'll just need to hash out when.

Unless they have some hugely pressing matter for which they need bodies asap, there NO reason you can't start later -- or earlier and take the time off.

Not this. Be apologetic and grateful for the offer/willing to do whatever they prefer. 95% of hiring partners would understand and be perfectly willing to work around it. The other 5% may well ask you forgo your vacation, which ITE if it is a job you want to take you would be dumb to pick vacation over employment.

BostonLove

Postby BostonLove » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:13 pm

Birdnals wrote:I don't see how it could hurt if you phrase it in the way you mentioned. Say you have had a vacation planned for a while for after the bar, and you would very much still like to go on it but that you would be more than willing to cancel if there is any conflict between the position and the vacation.

I would do it over the telephone.

+1

I've had the person hiring me ask if I had anything upcoming before, which made it easier. While that didn't happen here, it made me realize that this conversation is better in person or over the phone. I also agree that telling is inappropriate - phrase it as a question. I imagine most people would be fine with this unless they had a major project or something for you to start asap.

Return to “Legal Employment”