Why and how did I get this screener?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Why and how did I get this screener?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:20 am

No lottery system. At a lower T1. I am not even in the top 50% of the class. I was top 25% first semester, shit happened and I got one grade that fucked me over since it was a four credit class and my gpa and ranking plumetted. OCI has been a no go (expected) but I still apply to everything. Been really depressed because my job prospects seem shitty. I got a screener at a V10 in DC. Is this just likely to be a ding no matter how awesome my interview is? Why would they even interview me? How do you overcome bad grades in an interview? Didn't ask for a cover letter, just my résumé, unofficial transcript, and writing sample. I'm honestly wondering whether it was some type of clerical error..

Advice please.

Void

Re: Why and how did I get this screener?

Postby Void » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:No lottery system. At a lower T1. I am not even in the top 50% of the class. I was top 25% first semester, shit happened and I got one grade that fucked me over since it was a four credit class and my gpa and ranking plumetted. OCI has been a no go (expected) but I still apply to everything. Been really depressed because my job prospects seem shitty. I got a screener at a V10 in DC. Is this just likely to be a ding no matter how awesome my interview is? Why would they even interview me? How do you overcome bad grades in an interview? Didn't ask for a cover letter, just my résumé, unofficial transcript, and writing sample. I'm honestly wondering whether it was some type of clerical error..

Advice please.

If you want a chance at getting this job, you need to walk into that screener with NONE of these thoughts in your head. Who cares why you got the interview? That's in the past. Your job now is to maximize your interview performance and keep your confidence level high. Clerical error or not, you have been given a shot, and you'll blow it if you walk into that room thinking you're unworthy.

Robespierre

Postby Robespierre » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:52 am

Is there something on your resume that stands out? For example, are you URM? Do you have unusual work experience? Are you fluent in a foreign language? If so, that might be how you got the screener.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:14 am

In this situation, go to the interview and advise them of the clerical error. Be sure to ask for your rejectin letter on the way out the door. They will appreciate your assistance w their recruiting efforts

TooOld4This

Postby TooOld4This » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:17 pm

Why do you care?

You have an interview. Everything else is noise.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:21 pm

You need to get over this inferiority complex and rock the interview. Best of luck. If you have time, buy the Guerrilla Guide to Getting the Legal Job of your dreams. There's a section in there on how to tactfully deal with less-than-stellar grades. You can PM me as well and I can give you some pointers from the book if you don't have time to buy it.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:28 pm

Honestly? They probably had to fill up their OCI slots. Your chances a V10 in DC is slim as fuck.

But an interview is an interview. Maybe you'll impress them.

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:30 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Honestly? They probably had to fill up their OCI slots. Your chances a V10 in DC is slim as fuck.

But an interview is an interview. Maybe you'll impress them.

Impressing the screener is one thing, impressing the callback and the hiring committee is a whole nother animal

and lulz

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:17 pm

Yes I am a minority (not hispanic or AA though) and a female and do have unique language skills though I don't think it is relevant for the firm's work since they do not work in that country. And filling up OCI slots, really? I thought it was the firms' prerogative... BTW I was mistaken, not a V10 firm, but in the V50, not sure if that makes a difference. I'm almost positive there were candidates with much better grades that they could've chosen to "fill up slots" but thanks all for the pointers.

Return to “Legal Employment”