Statement of interest Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Statement of interest

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:01 pm

Hi everyone. I recently graduated and will be starting a state-level clerkship within the next few weeks. My clerkship has the potential to last 2 years if I would like it to, but I really would like to start something else next fall. I graduated in the top 15% of my class at a T2 school, high ranking editor of the main law review, public interest work experience both summers and during school.

I am applying to federal clerkships, honors programs (I received an interview for one program last year but didn't get an offer), and public interest fellowships particularly. Many of these positions require a statement of interest, and if they don't then they require a strong cover letter. I never really know what to write in a statement of interest that doesn't sound like, "blah blah blah I have a passion for this area of law blah blah blah." All the positions I am applying for are particularly targeted at my specialty area, so I am qualified and do have demonstrated interest.

Basically, does anyone have any statement of interest tips? They usually can only be about a page long. Thanks.

Return to “Legal Employment”