Paul Weiss v Quinn v Gibson Dunn v Latham v Wilmer v Cleary Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Paul Weiss v Quinn v Gibson Dunn v Latham v Wilmer v Cleary (All NYC)

Paul Weiss
25%
Quinn
28%
Gibson Dunn
18%
Latham
13%
Wilmer
7%
Cleary
9%

Total votes: 76

Anonymous User

Paul Weiss v Quinn v Gibson Dunn v Latham v Wilmer v Cleary

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:49 pm

If you were interested in litigation and getting substantive experience--and maybe even working your way up in the firm--where would you go? It would be great if you could elaborate.

Anonymous User

Re: Paul Weiss v Quinn v Gibson Dunn v Latham v Wilmer v Cleary

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:03 pm

OP here. What do I have to do to get you voters to elaborate? I cant even get a Quinn remains comment from Grizz..

I imagine that Quinn is in the lead because it bills itself as giving real experience to juniors. But I know that Quinn also has relatively high leverage, so how do you think that plays in? Again, really looking for any advice because I could see myself trying to stay at the firm for the long haul.

RELIC

Bronze

Post by RELIC » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:05 pm

This whole thread is humble brag.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:28 pm

RELIC wrote:This whole thread is humble brag.
Seriously. Or something.

OP you've got to be more specific. Can you really not narrow it down from 6 firms (which, BTW, you're not supposed to have 6 offers open at a time because most people can choose by that point) based on personality fit, etc?

If it were me, Paul Weiss or Cleary. They have the strongest Lit practices, and trying to make partner is a fool's errand at any of these firms.

I wouldn't go to Quinn because I would be miserable there. But we need to know how you feel about it.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:55 pm

Quinn remains

But srsly no one can help w out more info

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:00 pm

Enjoying OPs combo vague booking/humble bragging.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:08 pm

Quinn if you're really serious about getting some experience early on and can deal with the weirdness of the place.

Otherwise I would choose between Cleary and Paul Weiss. IMO Cleary is generally a better place to work because it's lock step, but PW has a slightly better rep for litigation.

OneMoreLawHopeful

Silver

Post by OneMoreLawHopeful » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. What do I have to do to get you voters to elaborate? I cant even get a Quinn remains comment from Grizz..

I imagine that Quinn is in the lead because it bills itself as giving real experience to juniors. But I know that Quinn also has relatively high leverage, so how do you think that plays in? Again, really looking for any advice because I could see myself trying to stay at the firm for the long haul.
I think the problem is that it's hard to believe you have offers from all these firms and absolutely NO IDEA about which is a good fit for you.

I did callbacks with 4 of those firms last year (admittedly at California offices), and I know they have wildly different cultures (Quinn and Latham in particular tend to have such extreme cultures that people either love them or hate them). It's really difficult to believe anyone could do callbacks with all six, get offers, get the emails/letters that come post offer, and still cannot knock one or two off the list.

Moreover, there is no one out there who says "I want to work for a firm that doesn't trust me with any responsibility for years, and is a bad long-term bet!" as a result, your question comes off as "Which firm will help me have a good career?"

I know this might sound harsh, but that's not my intention, I just want the OP to know why there aren't any helpful posts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:43 pm

bdubs wrote:IMO Cleary is generally a better place to work because it's lock step, but PW has a slightly better rep for litigation.
PW isn't lockstep? Not lockstep for partners or for associate bonuses? Both? For some reason I thought they were lockstep.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bdubs wrote:IMO Cleary is generally a better place to work because it's lock step, but PW has a slightly better rep for litigation.
PW isn't lockstep? Not lockstep for partners or for associate bonuses? Both? For some reason I thought they were lockstep.
Lockstep for partners. PW follows market for associates only.

suoicerp

New

Post by suoicerp » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:59 am

It's hard to say where you would have higher chances of making partner straight through. I would say definitely not PW, and it seems as though Quinn doesn't promote a lot of its associates. I don't know too much about the others but because Wilmer & GD are "satellite" offices, I would say maybe you have more of an opportunity to make a difference there as they try to bolster their practice in NY.

But I still vote Quinn for exit options.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:48 am

suoicerp wrote:It's hard to say where you would have higher chances of making partner straight through. I would say definitely not PW, and it seems as though Quinn doesn't promote a lot of its associates. I don't know too much about the others but because Wilmer & GD are "satellite" offices, I would say maybe you have more of an opportunity to make a difference there as they try to bolster their practice in NY.

But I still vote Quinn for exit options.
Quinn exit options are pretty much the same as any of the other firms on this list. Also, the hours are absolutely horrendous. The only upside is maybe you'd get more substantive experience early on which might let you gtfo earlier than you'd be able to at other firms.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”