How should I be preparing for callbacks?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How should I be preparing for callbacks?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:07 am

Have my first callback tomorrow, and I really have no idea how to prep for it. Should I basically be doing what I did to prep for the screener interview except much more intensely? I don't have many CB's so I need to maximize each one.

Anonymous User

Re: How should I be preparing for callbacks?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:19 am

I've talked to a bunch of upperclassmen, as well as associates at the firms I will be CB'ing at. All of them have said to just be relaxed. At this point, they already like you, so you don't have to put on a dog-and-pony show for them. Just prove to all your interviewers that you're someone who'll pass the "2am test" (will they be able to stand being around you on those late late nights?) and you'll have done all that you can. Also, research your interviewers a bit so that you can ask specific questions, but you already knew that from OCI.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:40 am

Don't prep so much that you sound like a robot

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:22 pm

rad lulz wrote:Don't prep so much that you sound like a robot

Haha, thanks. Definitely going to avoid doing this!

So basically, just relax and ask similar questions to OCI and I'll be fine? Also, I won't know who my interviewers are, so I guess its fine to ask them a bit about their practice and recent cases?

Loose Seal

Postby Loose Seal » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've talked to a bunch of upperclassmen, as well as associates at the firms I will be CB'ing at. All of them have said to just be relaxed. At this point, they already like you, so you don't have to put on a dog-and-pony show for them. Just prove to all your interviewers that you're someone who'll pass the "2am test" (will they be able to stand being around you on those late late nights?) and you'll have done all that you can. Also, research your interviewers a bit so that you can ask specific questions, but you already knew that from OCI.

Yep, this. Be likeable.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

So basically, just relax and ask similar questions to OCI and I'll be fine? Also, I won't know who my interviewers are, so I guess its fine to ask them a bit about their practice and recent cases?

Yeah relax. It's like doing a series of screeners. It will get repetitive

The firm usually sends you a schedule the day or 2 before

Ask the recruiting coordinator if you haven't already

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:53 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Already called and asked, they said they don't tell us who we're meeting with because it changes so frequently at the last minute.

sap

Postby sap » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Already called and asked, they said they don't tell us who we're meeting with because it changes so frequently at the last minute.

This actually sounds great, gives you plenty of question fodder which will absolutely lead to interviewers talking a lot if things ever become a lull, and because everyone will know you didn't have a schedule, you won't look like you didn't do your homework.

Return to “Legal Employment”