Started as Associate This Week... Not Billed Yet Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Started as Associate This Week... Not Billed Yet

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:41 pm

I started as an associate this week but haven't had any work. I've talked to the person who is responsible for coordinating work everyday but nothing's come my way. Suggestions on what I can be doing while waiting?

frankc

New

Re: Started as Associate This Week... Not Billed Yet

Post by frankc » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:43 pm

Take some really long dumps.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:08 pm

Not really helpful... Anyone else?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:14 pm

Go out to lunch with a senior person. Make the most of your downtime.

This really isn't the forum to ask this question. It really depends on how your firm does things. Talk to somebody at your firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:17 pm

Feel lucky?

For context, here are my first few months in billables:

First month: ~40

Second month: ~140

Third month: ~200

Fourth month: ~290

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Feel lucky?

For context, here are my first few months in billables:

First month: ~40

Second month: ~140

Third month: ~200

Fourth month: ~290
This. However, in an effort to be helpful, if you're in corporate, I would recommend reading some articles on PLC (http://us.practicallaw.com/). I did this my first few months, specifically reading some of the "Practice Notes" they have and found them very useful (though a bit boring). If you're not sure what topics to look up, ask a junior associate for the documentation of the last deal they did and look up some terms you see but don't know.

If you're in litigation, sorry, this doesn't really help. Play online poker or watch Netflix or something.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:46 am

I'm pretty sure your hours don't get counted during your stub year anyway so it doesn't really matter?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:07 pm

Just relax. The work will come.

It is natural to take even 2 or 3 months before you really get busy. It is hard to plug someone into new cases or deals as you simply don't know anything. And it is not like there are lots of 1-off research projects that you can be doing.

If a case enters a new phase which is busier or the client realizes the need to expend more resources on it, then you may get staffed on it. Alternatively, someone might leave for some reason (e.g., maternity leave, to clerk, lateral, etc.) and you can fill their spot. This does not happen that often though.

Most likely, you will just be waiting until there is new work which has not yet been staffed. Then you will start to get work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:36 pm

It can take a long time to get real work. I'm a junior corporate associate at a V20 so I just went through this. For someone new it's to put them onto a new deal. Deals are very slow at the beginning and then ramp up. The less experience you have the more time they have to spend teaching you, so you'll basically have to wait until a new deal starts that they want to put you on.

Also if your firm has a pro bono office you can ask what pro bono assignments are available. It gets you experience and at least you're doing something.

I think I billed like 20 hours my first month. After a year or two you'll settle into a pattern. I can have months below 100 hours and months above 250. It can go up and down. Just go with it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”