Any consensus on the OCI market this year?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Any consensus on the OCI market this year?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:52 pm

Median at lower T14, 19 screeners, 1 CB so far. Hoping that some of the secondary market firms I targeted are moving slower and will get back to me later this week, but I've yet to hear back from any of the NYC firms I interviewed with.

The most CBs I've heard of anyone having so far is 5 (admittedly low sample size though, since I haven't talked to a ton of people about it).
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:55 pm

The top kids at my T20 are cleaning up. At least one person in the top 10% with ~8 callbacks, lots of kids with 5. But all preselect, so the same ~30 kids get all the interviews. Outside of the top 20% here it's mostly famine.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The top kids at my T20 are cleaning up. At least one person in the top 10% with ~8 callbacks, lots of kids with 5. But all preselect, so the same ~30 kids get all the interviews. Outside of the top 20% here it's mostly famine.

That's to be expected at a T20.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:38 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The top kids at my T20 are cleaning up. At least one person in the top 10% with ~8 callbacks, lots of kids with 5. But all preselect, so the same ~30 kids get all the interviews. Outside of the top 20% here it's mostly famine.

At this T20, is it the same breakdown with people who actually get interviews? I.e., feast or famine after bidding or feast or famine after screeners?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Median at lower T14, 19 screeners, 1 CB so far. Hoping that some of the secondary market firms I targeted are moving slower and will get back to me later this week, but I've yet to hear back from any of the NYC firms I interviewed with.

The most CBs I've heard of anyone having so far is 5 (admittedly low sample size though, since I haven't talked to a ton of people about it).

I was surprised how fast secondary markets moved during OCI at Penn. Philly firms mostly gave CB's the next day, and other secondary markets all seemed to give CB's within 2-3 days.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

At this T20, is it the same breakdown with people who actually get interviews? I.e., feast or famine after bidding or feast or famine after screeners?

Technically both but it starts at the screening phase because most interviews are preselects. That means that the top kids tend to get overwhelmingly preselected while the lower kids get next to nothing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:05 pm

The herd gets culled at the preselect stage, but then again at the screener stage. Plenty of people with a good number of screeners have 0 or 1 cb.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:22 pm

bk1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Technically both but it starts at the screening phase because most interviews are preselects. That means that the top kids tend to get overwhelmingly preselected while the lower kids get next to nothing.

I'm top 15% at a T20 with 100% preselect. 38 interviews (3 left), 1 callback to date. After about the top 20% interviews dropped off dramatically, and my feeling is that most of the lower 2/3 got none. I know of one person who is absolutely cleaning up with multiple V5 NYC callbacks and who may be pushing double digits (he also didn't bid on a ton of firms so his success rate is very high). There are a few other people who have gotten 3-5ish callbacks but for the most part it seems like people are looking at 0-2 (as of Thursday, anyway.)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:26 pm

Yeah from a T20 I had 18 screeners at OCI (half preselect half lotto). Only got 1 CB. Ended up hustling 9 CBs through other means though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:30 pm

rad lulz wrote:Yeah from a T20 I had 18 screeners at OCI (half preselect half lotto). Only got 1 CB. Ended up hustling 9 CBs through other means though.

How'd you do it?

AFS

Postby AFS » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Yeah from a T20 I had 18 screeners at OCI (half preselect half lotto). Only got 1 CB. Ended up hustling 9 CBs through other means though.

How'd you do it?

I'd like to know this too.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:44 pm

AFS wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

How'd you do it?

Job fairs (too late for yall really), mass mailing my hometown before I left, networking, symplicity. Usual stuff.

edit: if it helps by this time last year I only had 3 or so

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:11 pm

rad lulz wrote:
AFS wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

How'd you do it?

Job fairs (too late for yall really), mass mailing my hometown before I left, networking, symplicity. Usual stuff.

edit: if it helps by this time last year I only had 3 or so

looks like I might have to hustle too. although my hometown is Chicago, and I hear that's the hardest market to get into. hope mass mailing will help though.

TopTopham

Postby TopTopham » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:24 pm

For what it's worth ...

-At my lower T14's OCI, the number of firms present grew from last year and my friends are doing pretty well so far, and

-Class of '15 at many schools (e.g., Columbia) is substantially smaller than Class of '14 was, meaning less competition,

... so I think it could be a good season. But it's really, really early so who knows.

Return to “Legal Employment”