Largest number of callbacks for strikeout you ever heard?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Largest number of callbacks for strikeout you ever heard?

Postby cinephile » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:37 pm

He didn't strike out, but I know a guy who had 11 callbacks, and then only two offers. Considering the number of callbacks he had, it's not great. And if he had had fewer, he might've struck out.

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7310
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Largest number of callbacks for strikeout you ever heard?

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
olive16 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm just saying there is a high probability you won't strike out if you have 6 callbacks.


...and you're basing that on what?


On math. If you have 6 callbacks, and each of them typically has a 1 in 3 chance of becoming an offer (many offer to callback ratios are often higher actually), statistically you have a 9% chance of striking out and 91% chance of getting one of them at least.


Your chances at each aren't independent variables. People who are bad at interviewing have much higher than 9% chance of striking out.

Though, assuming you get that many callbacks, how terrible of an interviewer can you be?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Largest number of callbacks for strikeout you ever heard?

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:00 pm

Danger Zone wrote:Though, assuming you get that many callbacks, how terrible of an interviewer can you be?

You'd be surprised. Some people can hold it together for 20 minutes yet may fall apart in a string of interviews at the same firm. Alternatively, the firm might not be offering a callback more on the strength of grades than anything else.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Largest number of callbacks for strikeout you ever heard?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interesting. I wonder how it is for schools which give students less than 20 screeners. My school (Cornell) - it's by lottery and everyone ends up with 12 - 20 screeners for OCI. The highest number I heard this season that anyone got in number of callbacks was 9.

FYI at Cornell as well. I know 2 people that had 25 screeners and 3 people with 12+ CBs.

enibs
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:28 am

Re: Largest number of callbacks for strikeout you ever heard?

Postby enibs » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:34 pm

bk1 wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:Though, assuming you get that many callbacks, how terrible of an interviewer can you be?

You'd be surprised. Some people can hold it together for 20 minutes yet may fall apart in a string of interviews at the same firm. Alternatively, the firm might not be offering a callback more on the strength of grades than anything else.


Some firms will give callbacks to just about everyone above a certain grade threshold, figuring they're not going to write off someone with good grades on the basis of a single 20-minute interview. But if the person is a terrible interviewer on the callback, the grades alone won't get the person an offer. This is one profile of a person with a number of callbacks who may be at high risk of striking out.

The converse is someone with mediocre or bad grades who is great at interviews. The screening interviewer may make a connection and give a discretionary callback because he/she really likes the person. But ultimately when it gets to committee, the grades can end up being a killer even if the person did well in the interviews.

If you fit one of these profiles, there may be cause for worry. But if you interview well and your grades are in range for the firms where you have callbacks, then your chances for converting the callbacks to offers should be above average.

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Largest number of callbacks for strikeout you ever heard?

Postby PDaddy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:i saw someone on TLS say 5-10 callbacks -> strikeout isn't unheard of. but to me that just raises more questions, like what the interviewee was like, what school he went to, and what the firms were.


TITCR!

This thread should be called "Who was the sorriest douchebag interviewee you ever encountered?"

If you have eight callbacks from solid firms and can't land one offer, you could be very unlucky, but you more likely are doing something wrong.

A savvy interviewee should be able to land at least one out of four in a good, strong economy, and maybe one out of eight in today's economy. A URM should be at least one out of four regardless. If you get 15-20 callbacks and strike out that's pretty sad.

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Largest number of callbacks for strikeout you ever heard?

Postby PDaddy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:42 am

cinephile wrote:He didn't strike out, but I know a guy who had 11 callbacks, and then only two offers. Considering the number of callbacks he had, it's not great. And if he had had fewer, he might've struck out.


Subpar but not "horrible". Somebody liked him. He held his own, which is more than you can say for most. He probably should have had at least one more offer in order to make a respectable showing. I say one out of four is generally a fair standard - that's the minimum to which I would hold myself - but firms are unpredictable.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Largest number of callbacks for strikeout you ever heard?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:15 am

I struck out with 6. The offer rate of firms and size of the summer program is a huge variable. 5 of the 6 were in my hometown, and I had 4 of those locked up before I even set foot in OCI. So I targeted nothing but reach firms thinking my odds were pretty good in my hometown....yeah. 2 of the firms I was interviewing at had only 1 SA spot. And by the time I realized what the fuck was going on, the boat on big law had sailed.

Note: This was Fall 2010 OCI, and I currently work as a prosecutor, so my story had a somewhat happy ending.

ajr
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:50 pm

Re: Largest number of callbacks for strikeout you ever heard?

Postby ajr » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:32 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
olive16 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm just saying there is a high probability you won't strike out if you have 6 callbacks.


...and you're basing that on what?


On math. If you have 6 callbacks, and each of them typically has a 1 in 3 chance of becoming an offer (many offer to callback ratios are often higher actually), statistically you have a 9% chance of striking out and 91% chance of getting one of them at least.


Your chances at each aren't independent variables. People who are bad at interviewing have much higher than 9% chance of striking out.


Terrible attempt at trying to show off probability knowledge. What you wanted to say was just "People who are bad at interviewing have much lower than 1 in 3 chance of converting a CB." Your first statement is irrelevant to the second.

User avatar
unc0mm0n1
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: Largest number of callbacks for strikeout you ever heard?

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:03 am

RELIC wrote:I knew of an 8 CB strike out last year. He ended up working for a non-profit over the summer. I always wondered what happened during those interviews.


+1 friend of mine had 8 and struck out ended up working for a non profit. It's terrible because he's a great guy he's just very shy and it comes off weird in interviews. Grades were about median from HYS.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Largest number of callbacks for strikeout you ever heard?

Postby rad lulz » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:11 am

If you're just trying to freak yourself out OP, I know a dude who got rejected from 13 CBs, but got an offer from his last one, the 14th.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Largest number of callbacks for strikeout you ever heard?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:58 pm

rad lulz wrote:If you're just trying to freak yourself out OP, I know a dude who got rejected from 13 CBs, but got an offer from his last one, the 14th.


I think you also get better at these as you go along.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.