Largest number of callbacks for strikeout you ever heard?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Largest number of callbacks for strikeout you ever heard?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:14 am

What's the largest number of callbacks you heard someone got before he/she struck out eventually? I *think* my number of callbacks is pretty good but am unsure if there's still very possible chance of striking out. This is assuming that I got the callback to match what the interviewer thought the firm was looking for, and that I treat the callbacks similarly as I treated the screeners.

Anonymous User

Re: Largest number of callbacks for strikeout you ever heard?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:25 am

it probably depends on too many factors for there to be a meaningful answer to this question. what if it's a bunch of firms that offer to 70+% of their CBs? or only to 20% of their CBs? or a mix? and how can you even know which of these kind of firms your CBs are? on balance, questions like this probably do nothing more than contribute to law student anxiety. and there's already enough of that.

ETA: i mean, isn't this like asking about the largest number of screeners that ultimately lead to a strikeout? who knows whether that number would be useful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:it probably depends on too many factors for there to be a meaningful answer to this question. what if it's a bunch of firms that offer to 70+% of their CBs? or only to 20% of their CBs? or a mix? and how can you even know which of these kind of firms your CBs are? on balance, questions like this probably do nothing more than contribute to law student anxiety. and there's already enough of that.

Wasn't asking for a meaningful answer, trying to see what people have heard.

Anonymous User wrote:ETA: i mean, isn't this like asking about the largest number of screeners that ultimately lead to a strikeout? who knows whether that number would be useful.

Well, no. Lots of screeners and striking out would just mean you're a terrible interviewer. But if you have callbacks, the suggestion is otherwise.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:38 am

I've seen lots of people strike out with 5-6 CBS.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:What's the largest number of callbacks you heard someone got before he/she struck out eventually? I *think* my number of callbacks is pretty good but am unsure if there's still very possible chance of striking out. This is assuming that I got the callback to match what the interviewer thought the firm was looking for, and that I treat the callbacks similarly as I treated the screeners.

Don't reject any until you have an offer in hand. I had 20+ callbacks and didn't start getting offers until I had been through 7 or 8 of them (ended up doing 10 total with 4 offers, 4 rejections and 2 withdrew before hearing an answer). I would schedule them in order of priority/preference and feel free to cancel scheduled callbacks as long as you give 48 hours notice.

Also note that chances of striking out might rise as your callback mix leans more toward "regional" firms or firms with smaller classes. I am from HYS and I went 1/6 for regional/small firms and 3/4 for the supposedly more selective national firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:46 am

i saw someone on TLS say 5-10 callbacks -> strikeout isn't unheard of. but to me that just raises more questions, like what the interviewee was like, what school he went to, and what the firms were.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:30 am

12 callbacks --> 2 offers

My first 10 were all strike-outs, my last 2 were both offers. Had I been overconfident and cancelled my last ones because I felt 10 was enough, wouldn't have ended well for me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:47 am

Interesting. I wonder how it is for schools which give students less than 20 screeners. My school (Cornell) - it's by lottery and everyone ends up with 12 - 20 screeners for OCI. The highest number I heard this season that anyone got in number of callbacks was 9.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:48 am

It depends on all sorts of things. Some firms offer practically all their callbacks, some hardly any. I'd say 5 or less is the danger zone where you could do everything right and still strike out, 10 is where something would probably have to go wrong or you'd need some really bad luck. I'd guess the average is something like a 3:1 callback to offer ratio but some people will hit almost 100% and some might go 1 or 0 for 10.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:12 callbacks --> 2 offers

My first 10 were all strike-outs, my last 2 were both offers. Had I been overconfident and cancelled my last ones because I felt 10 was enough, wouldn't have ended well for me.

What changed in your last two callbacks? It sounds like a big turnaround

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:Interesting. I wonder how it is for schools which give students less than 20 screeners. My school (Cornell) - it's by lottery and everyone ends up with 12 - 20 screeners for OCI. The highest number I heard this season that anyone got in number of callbacks was 9.

Mass mail, d00d.

dixiecupdrinking wrote:I'd say 5 or less is the danger zone where you could do everything right and still strike out

You rang?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:12 callbacks --> 2 offers

What changed in your last two callbacks? It sounds like a big turnaround

I started off strongly targeting corporate, but backed off that and become more open to either. I ended up in litigation so it was smart to be more open-minded. Also, the last 2 firms were both lower ranked, perhaps more relaxed standards? My grades weren't great so I think that honestly some of it was just not being good enough to overcome my grades at the first 10.

arizonairish

Postby arizonairish » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:22 am

You just have to perform... People with as many as 20 have struck out (don't know if that is just legend) and people with as few as one have converted. Just take each one seriously, prep and be personable when the moment strikes.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:30 pm

I had 9 and struck out...people said it wasn't possible.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:44 pm

There's always a very real chance of striking out. If you don't have an offer (or don't have an offer you like), you should act as if none of your current leads will pan out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:47 pm

You obviously have to perform well, but personally I'd feel pretty comfortable with 5 or 6 CB's. The odds are definitely in your favor at that point.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You obviously have to perform well, but personally I'd feel pretty comfortable with 5 or 6 CB's. The odds are definitely in your favor at that point.

Definitely shouldn't feel comfortable with 5 or 6. From HYS, excellent interviewer, decent grades and decent work experience and I only converted 4 of 8 (with at least two others in Limbo that were more likely to be rejects). I didn't start cancelling or declining callbacks until I had at least one offer I was extremely happy with. If I had chosen to only do 5 or 6 callbacks and started declining others or if I had received only 5 or 6 callbacks from the "wrong" firms I could have easily struck out.

RELIC

Postby RELIC » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:43 pm

I knew of an 8 CB strike out last year. He ended up working for a non-profit over the summer. I always wondered what happened during those interviews.

RELIC

Postby RELIC » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:You obviously have to perform well, but personally I'd feel pretty comfortable with 5 or 6 CB's. The odds are definitely in your favor at that point.

Definitely shouldn't feel comfortable with 5 or 6. From HYS, excellent interviewer, decent grades and decent work experience and I only converted 4 of 8 (with at least two others in Limbo that were more likely to be rejects). I didn't start cancelling or declining callbacks until I had at least one offer I was extremely happy with. If I had chosen to only do 5 or 6 callbacks and started declining others or if I had received only 5 or 6 callbacks from the "wrong" firms I could have easily struck out.

Nice Humble Brag

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I didn't mean you should feel comfortable declining callbacks with 5 or 6. Obviously you should not decline ANY until you have an offer in hand. I'm just saying there is a high probability you won't strike out if you have 6 callbacks.

olive16

Postby olive16 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm just saying there is a high probability you won't strike out if you have 6 callbacks.

...and you're basing that on what?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:15 pm

fuck i only have 2 callbacks so far and i'm freaking the fuck out. looks like debtor's prison for me.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:20 pm

All ya need is one, m i rite.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:55 pm

olive16 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm just saying there is a high probability you won't strike out if you have 6 callbacks.

On math. If you have 6 callbacks, and each of them typically has a 1 in 3 chance of becoming an offer (many offer to callback ratios are often higher actually), statistically you have a 9% chance of striking out and 91% chance of getting one of them at least.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
olive16 wrote:

On math. If you have 6 callbacks, and each of them typically has a 1 in 3 chance of becoming an offer (many offer to callback ratios are often higher actually), statistically you have a 9% chance of striking out and 91% chance of getting one of them at least.

Your chances at each aren't independent variables. People who are bad at interviewing have much higher than 9% chance of striking out.

Return to “Legal Employment”