Came into OCI strong, then got summer grades...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Came into OCI strong, then got summer grades...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:54 pm

So, finished 1L strong, ranked third in my class.

Took summer classes. Just got back my Ethics grade. C+. Lowest grade I've ever gotten. Ever. In Life.

I have more screeners next week and have to update my resume, etc...

Life is over, right?

Anonymous User

Re: Came into OCI strong, then got summer grades...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, finished 1L strong, ranked third in my class.

Took summer classes. Just got back my Ethics grade. C+. Lowest grade I've ever gotten. Ever. In Life.

I have more screeners next week and have to update my resume, etc...

Life is over, right?

Have you considered not updating your résumé?

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:06 pm

Surely you'll still be ranked really highly...?

ArtistOfManliness

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:07 pm

Dont update you're resume dumbass

User (0L) was warned.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:10 pm

If your resume has your old GPA on it then you have to update it before you hand out any more copies of it. Don't want to be misrepresenting yourself.

But it might not be too bad. You'll still have pretty dynamite grades it sounds like,

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:11 pm

ArtistOfManliness wrote:Dont update you're resume dumbass

Learn basic grammar, dumbass.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:33 pm

why did you take summer classes...?! geezus.

you need to update your resume now. when you update your grades for the firms that already got your old resume...well that's up to you.

RELIC

Postby RELIC » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:36 pm

What is your school ranked? HYS? T6? T14? T1? TTT?

Void

Postby Void » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:46 pm

RELIC wrote:What is your school ranked? HYS? T6? T14? T1? TTT?

Is there no TT anymore?

soj

Postby soj » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:49 pm

Hey 0L, how about you stop giving bad, redundant advice (or any advice at all) in the Employment Forum? Next time, you're banned.

soj

Postby soj » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:54 pm

soj wrote:

Hey 0L, how about you stop giving bad, redundant advice (or any advice at all) in the Employment Forum? Next time, you're banned.

Changed my mind.

You're this year's anewaphorist.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:35 pm

OP here. Let's just say pretty much TTT.

Was relying on my grades and unusual work experience to at least give me a remote shot at something fairly decent.

My GPA isn't abysmal, and I'm probably still top 10%, but... It's a big shock to the system. I just keep thinking "cold record, this looks like total dogshit."

Ugh.

Void

Postby Void » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Let's just say pretty much TTT.

Was relying on my grades and unusual work experience to at least give me a remote shot at something fairly decent.

My GPA isn't abysmal, and I'm probably still top 10%, but... It's a big shock to the system. I just keep thinking "cold record, this looks like total dogshit."

Ugh.

I'm honestly not saying this to sound like a dick, but the drop might not hurt you much because your chances weren't great to begin with from a TTT. I say this as a Second-Tier top 10% OCI strikeout myself.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:58 pm

Void wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Let's just say pretty much TTT.

Ugh.

I'm honestly not saying this to sound like a dick, but the drop might not hurt you much because your chances weren't great to begin with from a TTT. I say this as a Second-Tier top 10% OCI strikeout myself.

OP again. I hear you; I wasn't expecting much of OCI myself. But it's pretty fucking stupid to make your prospects that much worse with such a boneheaded move.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:04 pm

Are you at a school where a C+ is median? Or well below median (like a bottom 10% grade)? Because if it's the latter, if I were you, I'd double check to make sure the grade is accurate before putting it on your resume. Usually you don't just go from pretty much all A's to a super-low grade (however, if a C+ is median at your school, it's more likely accurate). Sometimes clerical errors *do* happen, and if I were you, I'd make sure this isn't one before you torpedo your OCI chances.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:18 pm

keg411 wrote:Are you at a school where a C+ is median? Or well below median (like a bottom 10% grade)? Because if it's the latter, if I were you, I'd double check to make sure the grade is accurate before putting it on your resume. Usually you don't just go from pretty much all A's to a super-low grade (however, if a C+ is median at your school, it's more likely accurate). Sometimes clerical errors *do* happen, and if I were you, I'd make sure this isn't one before you torpedo your OCI chances.

Yeah, C+ is median round here.

maximator

Postby maximator » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:47 pm

The conventional wisdom is that firms care about overall GPA and not your grades in any individual class. Presumably you still have a pretty decent cumulative GPA, which is a plus.

I also think it it is pretty much universally agreed that PR/legal ethics is an absolute joke class. So I think you are probably in the best possible position as far as having a one off bad grade.

Other than that, there really isn't much you can do at this point. There is no point in beating yourself up over one bad grade. It is pretty damn unusual for someone to go through law school and not get a median grade. Be confident and focus on your strengths and your positives in your upcoming screeners.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:35 am

maximator wrote:The conventional wisdom is that firms care about overall GPA and not your grades in any individual class. Presumably you still have a pretty decent cumulative GPA, which is a plus.

I also think it it is pretty much universally agreed that PR/legal ethics is an absolute joke class. So I think you are probably in the best possible position as far as having a one off bad grade.

Other than that, there really isn't much you can do at this point. There is no point in beating yourself up over one bad grade. It is pretty damn unusual for someone to go through law school and not get a median grade. Be confident and focus on your strengths and your positives in your upcoming screeners.

(OP.) Thank you, I know that's the most reasonable thing I could think or anyone could say. I'm just really disappointed in myself, but I'm old enough at this point to know I need to grow the fuck up, own it, and do what I can.

Thanks again for the honest assessment.

crysmissmichelle

Postby crysmissmichelle » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:24 am

Have you checked with the professor? I agree, could be a clerical error. . .worthwhile to know WTH happened either way.

Return to “Legal Employment”