Exit Options: Name or Substance?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Exit Options: Name or Substance?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:32 pm

I am deciding between two firms for transactional/corporate work. Firm A is a V20 firm (for whatever that's worth) whereas Firm B is NLJ250/AmLaw100 but claims to offer more substantive experience. So I'm curious as to what matters more to later employers down the line when hiring laterals. Do in-house positions and other law firms place more weight on the name brand of the previous firm or the experience you actually received? Or is it basically a wash depending on the individual?

chem

Re: Exit Options: Name or Substance?

Postby chem » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am deciding between two firms for transactional/corporate work. Firm A is a V20 firm (for whatever that's worth) whereas Firm B is NLJ250/AmLaw100 but claims to offer more substantive experience. So I'm curious as to what matters more to later employers down the line when hiring laterals. Do in-house positions and other law firms place more weight on the name brand of the previous firm or the experience you actually received? Or is it basically a wash depending on the individual?

Based on my summer experience's and talking to both in house and firm attorneys, the easiest transition from firm to in house is going in house for one of the firm's clients. For firm to firm, seems like name matters more. No idea for public service/ gov

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am deciding between two firms for transactional/corporate work. Firm A is a V20 firm (for whatever that's worth) whereas Firm B is NLJ250/AmLaw100 but claims to offer more substantive experience. So I'm curious as to what matters more to later employers down the line when hiring laterals. Do in-house positions and other law firms place more weight on the name brand of the previous firm or the experience you actually received? Or is it basically a wash depending on the individual?

You're anonymous, gotta have a better idea on the firms. This is almost for sure the V20 though unless you're talking Jones Day or White and Case IMO. Then I think you need to name the other firm. I mean. It's practice group v practice group.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:

You're anonymous, gotta have a better idea on the firms. This is almost for sure the V20 though unless you're talking Jones Day or White and Case IMO. Then I think you need to name the other firm. I mean. It's practice group v practice group.

OP here. Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I'm less concerned about my specific firms than what the general perception is when it comes to name vs. experience.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:39 am

My understanding is that experience is generally better but you have to be in the right general neighborhood... i.e., you're likely to have the best options to go work for business that are firm clients so if the "better" experience means running deals earlier but for the kinds of matters you're not interested in then it's not worth very much.

That aside, I think the reason people want more info is because you probably shouldn't take this lower-ranked firm's claims at face value. You're probably looking at similar experiences at both firms, so you should go with V20 all things equal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Just curious, why those two firms?

Return to “Legal Employment”