CL/Resume - Email/Physcial Address (Mass Mail)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

CL/Resume - Email/Physcial Address (Mass Mail)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:32 pm

Hello,

This may seem like a stupid thing to use anonymous for, but I have told some folks I would be asking this question, and I would rather not reveal my username to them as I have posted extensively as a 0L.

I'm a 2L at a T1 law school, getting ready any day now to begin a "mass" mailing campaign to firms in my hometown and other areas where my regional law school's name carries power.

I have two questions:

On cover letters and resumes, should I use my school email address: "InitialInitial322Initial@bubbalaw.edu" or my (to me more professional sounding) "myname@gmail.com" ??

My main question, however, is when embarking on a mass mail campaign, particularly if targeting non big-law firms that you actually intend to snail mail, would it serve any purpose to rent a post office box and use that as the address on my documents? It just seems like it would look cleaner than my home address. Or would it look evasive? I realize the answer will probably be that it is entirely unnecessary. If it makes any difference, the mail at my current residence has proved itself to be less than reliable and the postman regular puts people's mail in the wrong boxes, so that is a slight concern as well, which has had my thinking of getting the box anyway.

lmr

Re: CL/Resume - Email/Physcial Address (Mass Mail)

Postby lmr » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:11 pm

use the more professional email address. I don't think either address option will make a difference in the end. As long as PO box is in the same region as the employer then it should be fine. It's not a big deal but I think the home address is better/cleaner plus they won't be mailing you acceptances so the whole issue of lost mail doesn't really apply. Is there a reason you are using regular mail than email?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:36 pm

Thanks for the reply. You are certainly right that nothing would be coming TO the post office box, so maybe a moot point.

As for mailing applications, I am hedging my bets and sending out resumes to very small firms and even a few higher profile solos in my hometown (where I wouldn't at all mind practicing) Some of these don't have email addresses anywhere I can find and in other cases I had thought about sending a snail mail resume/CL and then following up via email a week or so later.

I have read on TLS that email is really the only way to go so this may be a mistake, I don't know.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:04 pm

Lexis Advance has an attorney search feature that gives you email addresses.

Return to “Legal Employment”