Reference Check- good sign?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Void

Reference Check- good sign?

Postby Void » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:56 pm

So, I recently had a final round interview with an employer for whom I would LOVE to work, and today they requested a list of references. I sent it to them, and within an hour they sent an email to at least one reference indicating that they are "interested in hiring" me. So I guess I'm just freaking out/excited, and wanted to obsess over it on TLS. Anyone have any stories of no-offers even after a post-final-round-interview reference request?

Anonymous User

Re: Reference Check- good sign?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:11 pm

It happened to me. Three rounds of interviews and then I was so excited when my references told me that they had been contacted. I even recieved a phone call from the employer that I'd be hearing "imminently" soon after I heard that my references were contacted. When I didn't hear anything for a week, I called them, and they told me the position had already been filled. Having said that, having references called is a very good sign, and at the minimum means that you are a finalist.

Void

Re: Reference Check- good sign?

Postby Void » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It happened to me. Three rounds of interviews and then I was so excited when my references told me that they had been contacted. I even recieved a phone call from the employer that I'd be hearing "imminently" soon after I heard that my references were contacted. When I didn't hear anything for a week, I called them, and they told me the position had already been filled. Having said that, having references called is a very good sign, and at the minimum means that you are a finalist.

Thanks- I assumed there would be at least one story. I'm not banking on this job or anything especially because it wouldn't be a sure thing even if I got the offer (contingent on bar passage, plus two other technicalities that needn't be addressed on TLS) but it does feel good to think that they at least haven't decided to reject me yet!

Return to “Legal Employment”