What to do after an unexpected no-offer...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What to do after an unexpected no-offer...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:08 am

Just got a no-offer after a good summer for a firm that offers almost everyone (everyone in the past three years got an offer). The one negative on my review was for an assignment that was an hour late for a guy I had lunch with on the day it was due. I felt like I was well liked throughout the summer and there were no complaints about work product. The problem is, because the firm generally offers everyone, I didn't apply for 3L OCI because there are so few slots and I felt that in the event that I actually didn't get an offer, that will be almost impossible for me to explain away for another peer firm.

What do I do now that I'm in this situation? The partner who called me said that it was because of fit, but I think they just drew the short straw to make the call. I wouldn't mind a real explanation but I do have decent fall back options outside of law as an engineer. I'm going to try to contact some people at the firm that worked with me more to see what happened but right now, I'm trying to see how I can get some last minute interviews at other places...

Re: What to do after an unexpected no-offer...

Postby 09042014 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just got a no-offer after a good summer for a firm that offers almost everyone (everyone in the past three years got an offer). The one negative on my review was for an assignment that was an hour late for a guy I had lunch with on the day it was due. I felt like I was well liked throughout the summer and there were no complaints about work product. The problem is, because the firm generally offers everyone, I didn't apply for 3L OCI because there are so few slots and I felt that in the event that I actually didn't get an offer, that will be almost impossible for me to explain away for another peer firm.

What do I do now that I'm in this situation? The partner who called me said that it was because of fit, but I think they just drew the short straw to make the call. I wouldn't mind a real explanation but I do have decent fall back options outside of law as an engineer. I'm going to try to contact some people at the firm that worked with me more to see what happened but right now, I'm trying to see how I can get some last minute interviews at other places...

You didn't draw the short straw, you got dinged on personality. They didn't like you. You made a bad impression on somebody/everybody.

But, if you have an engineering background you should start sending out mass mail bursts ASAP. There are plenty of firms needing IP people and not a lot of IP people without offers. You'll be a semi-decent position. An acquaintance got no offered and he got another offer within a month or two.

Getting no offered sucks, but you can still pull yourself up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:32 am

OP here, I guess I'd have to say that if you asked the rest of my summer class, I would not have been a likely candidate for a no-offer, but how should I approach firms that I didn't get a summer offer from? Especially the ones where I had already had callbacks etc.

Either way, its time to update my resume etc.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:46 am

Desert Fox wrote:You didn't draw the short straw, you got dinged on personality. They didn't like you. You made a bad impression on somebody/everybody.

Eh, firms make stuff up. Fit is an easy explanation because it can't be challenged. I would take everything a firm says about why you were no-offered with a grain of salt.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:50 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:You didn't draw the short straw, you got dinged on personality. They didn't like you. You made a bad impression on somebody/everybody.

Eh, firms make stuff up. Fit is an easy explanation because it can't be challenged. I would take everything a firm says about why you were no-offered with a grain of salt.

True. But unless others were no offered it doesn't smell of economic problems at the firm. And if they give 100% offers for 3 years, it isn't likely they just have a unspoken rule that not everyone gets an offer. And if it was work product, they probably would have mention it over fit.

But like you said, it could be anything.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:22 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

True. But unless others were no offered it doesn't smell of economic problems at the firm. And if they give 100% offers for 3 years, it isn't likely they just have a unspoken rule that not everyone gets an offer. And if it was work product, they probably would have mention it over fit.

But like you said, it could be anything.

I think what will always bother me is that I don't know who I could have pissed off that had the clout to make sure that I would not get an offer. I had partners on the hiring committee introducing me to their families etc. during the last week of the summer program and the head of the practice group I did the most work for definitely liked me, so somehow I don't think the ding could have been from the one bad review I was told of from a mid level...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:32 pm

i also received a completely unexpected no-offer from a firm that had 100% offer rate for the office the past couple of years... and this was my second summer there. similar to you, i only had one negative evaluation and was given no indication of poor work product at my reviews. i actually asked for a meeting so i could get more clarification so maybe you can do the same. since the rest of my work was great and everyone seemed to like me there i had a couple associates reach out to me and offer recommendations and i plan on emailing other people i worked well with for recommendations, advice, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:14 pm

I do have the disadvantage that my grades were never the best and even though they are up since 1L, they aren't stellar still... The first time around I was able to convince a few firms to take a shot on me without the grades but this time, I need to work around both the grades and the no offer...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:20 pm

Just thought about something else, I have friends from the summer who are playing Fantasy football with me and who I've otherwise committed to meeting with throughout the year. How weird do you guys think those relationships are going to be now? Also, I guess I need to find references but who can I trust to go to in order to get a good one at this point? Most of my work was for a couple of senior associates who liked me and for a partner on the hiring committee who I was pretty sure liked me (he was at my final review and said he put in a good review)...

hoopydoodie

Postby hoopydoodie » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I do have the disadvantage that my grades were never the best and even though they are up since 1L, they aren't stellar still... The first time around I was able to convince a few firms to take a shot on me without the grades but this time, I need to work around both the grades and the no offer...

Would you mind PMing me with how you were able to convince a firm to take a shot on you without the grades? I'm entering 2L OCI having not heard back about an offer from my 1L firm and my grades took a drop 2nd semester 1L year that look like they could take me out of the running for some 2L summer firms.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:01 pm

hoopydoodie wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I do have the disadvantage that my grades were never the best and even though they are up since 1L, they aren't stellar still... The first time around I was able to convince a few firms to take a shot on me without the grades but this time, I need to work around both the grades and the no offer...

Would you mind PMing me with how you were able to convince a firm to take a shot on you without the grades? I'm entering 2L OCI having not heard back about an offer from my 1L firm and my grades took a drop 2nd semester 1L year that look like they could take me out of the running for some 2L summer firms.

Pretty inconsiderate poast dude

Use your head

Void

Postby Void » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:33 pm

rad lulz wrote:
hoopydoodie wrote:

Pretty inconsiderate poast dude

Use your head

He's like a crab picking from the corpse of another crab.

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:50 pm

Sorry to hear about this.

The best thing you can do for yourself is get over any feelings of anger, insecurity, regret, remorse, etc. as soon as possible. I don't mean for this to sound preachy or callous, but there's nothing else that has the potential to hurt you in your future interviews more than these kinds of feelings. You can't control your past grades. You can't control the fact that you were no offered. You can control your confidence and your attitude moving forward.

I would definitely reach out to the senior associates and partner who liked you and ask them, carefully and tactfully, for any help they might be willing to offer you. Don't come across as desperate, but your situation is no secret to them and I have to believe that somewhere in their cold, dead biglaw hearts is at least an ounce of sympathy for you and a desire to help you. Other than that, you know what you have to do: hustle.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:12 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:Sorry to hear about this.

The best thing you can do for yourself is get over any feelings of anger, insecurity, regret, remorse, etc. as soon as possible. I don't mean for this to sound preachy or callous, but there's nothing else that has the potential to hurt you in your future interviews more than these kinds of feelings. You can't control your past grades. You can't control the fact that you were no offered. You can control your confidence and your attitude moving forward.

I would definitely reach out to the senior associates and partner who liked you and ask them, carefully and tactfully, for any help they might be willing to offer you. Don't come across as desperate, but your situation is no secret to them and I have to believe that somewhere in their cold, dead biglaw hearts is at least an ounce of sympathy for you and a desire to help you. Other than that, you know what you have to do: hustle.

Agree w this

I will say be very careful who you ask to help

To the extent you can figure out what they're gonna say first

Return to “Legal Employment”