Which Firm to Choose for Permanent Job? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Choices:

First-Half Firm
54%
Second-Half Firm
46%

Total votes: 13

Anonymous User

Which Firm to Choose for Permanent Job?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:09 pm

Have a dilemma, and was hoping for a sounding board…
I’m in the fortunate position of having 2 offers. I split in the same secondary market in the Midwest. I liked both firms, would be happy at both, and I am having a hard time deciding which offer to accept.

First-half firm:
-Small v100 office (20-30 attorneys).
-Have lost some attorneys in recent years. I asked a lot of questions about this, and I don't feel like the firm is in danger of folding or anything, but rather had a problem with a partner who took some attorneys with him. They are preaching stable, safe growth from here out.
-Pretty dependent on 2-3 big clients (work will not specifically be tied to just these clients, however).
-Offered in my ideal, niche area of law where I will be the only associate.
-Only 1-2 other young associates and some pretty awkward attorneys (but 3-4 people I would be working with are great and not awkward, and everyone’s really nice here, just pretty awkward…).
-Pay slightly more (only a few thousand base), bonus structure better as well.

Second-half firm:
-Decent sized NALP250 firm (70 or so attorneys)
-Growing in the market and top firm in the city already as far as local work is concerned.
-Bunch of young associates, great fit personality-wise with the firm, lots of cool older attorneys as well.
-General offer and they have no idea where I’ll be placed (like not even corporate or litigation)… and won’t know for 6-9 months or so… I could potentially be working with some great people/great practice area, or with some partners/in a practice area I’d hate…
-Pay slightly less

I guess it come down to the more stable firm with the better social life fit (firm 2) v. the firm with the guaranteed practice area fit with more career potential (firm 1). I am leaning towards firm 1, b/c even if I won't have any friends at the firm, at least I'll be doing the work I want to do.

Any thoughts or other things I should consider?

Kronk

Diamond

Re: Which Firm to Choose for Permanent Job?

Post by Kronk » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:14 pm

Two sounds better to me. Although lol social life.

Loose Seal

New

Post by Loose Seal » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:46 am

I'd go for the place where you are going to get job experience relevant to your long-term career interests. Then at least you'll have relevant exit options and will have moved your career forward in your first few years.

J. D.

New

Post by J. D. » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:53 am

Your're right, close call. For me, slight advantage for firm #2.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:00 pm

bump for after work crowd. any other thoughts?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”