Quinn v. Skadden v. others 4 IP lit

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Quinn v. Skadden v. others 4 IP lit

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:58 pm

Trying to narrow down callbacks to firms I'm truly interested in working at. Goal is patent lit on the west coast.

Quinn offer in hand. Have callbacks with Skadden, W&C, Cooley. Still waiting to hear from some others (Latham, Orrick), but not sure if I should even be looking much further.

I'm not concerned with the "sweat-shop" reputation, in fact I prefer that and know what it means to work long hours - my last job had me putting in 80+ hours a week, and weeks/months away from home & family at a time. So I'm not particularly interested in those comments.

Since Quinn is an IP lit powerhouse, is there even any reason to consider other firms? What would be the upside to working at Skadden, whose focus isn't solely litigation?

Re: Quinn v. Skadden v. others 4 IP lit

Postby RodneyRuxin » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:10 pm

Quinn is TCR here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:17 pm

Hi, I know a bit about Quinn and patent lit in California and have a couple thoughts for you.

First, is there a particular area within patent litigation that interests you? If so, it may be worth looking at the particular focuses of the different offices you're considering. Specific to that office. My understanding is copyright and trademark are bigger in Silicon Valley and Los Angeles than San Francisco for Quinn. My understanding is that Cooley does privacy work, whatever that means.

A second consideration is the size of the cases you'll be working on, and the size of the clients you'll be dealing with. My guess is that Quinn is primarily big, important PI matters (Google, Samsung, Yahoo, etc.), but that you might get on a smaller case at some of the other places. This is probably not a consideration at Skadden, but I imagine Cooley might work with some smaller firms; probably even more true at WSGR or SV-local firms.

I'd also recommend considering whether you like the senior associates and partners - would you get along with them well? I've liked almost everybody at the firms you've mentioned, but you might have a different view, and it's worth considering.

Postby bdubs » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:43 pm

Quinn is great for IP lit but it's just a really different environment than all of the other firms, both in terms of the mix of work and the people. I would do callbacks at any place you think you would seriously consider an offer from and then make up your mind.

Also, not sure what has been happening there since the Samsung cases have slowed down. That was consuming an inordinate number of time for an awful lot of people. I wouldn't necessarily expect layoffs at QE like there were at WH because of it, but I would be concerned about things changing as a result if they don't have many other big patent cases to fill the gap.

Why no MoFo, K&E, Covington, or Irell?

Postby kolokena » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:20 pm

I was told that Quinn SF/SV are heavily IP focused, while Quinn LA is about 50% IP (with more soft-IP in the mix from the entertainment industry). So, one consideration is which office you're looking at.

But, all offices have a reputation for early responsibility and very little handholding. This, in my opinion, is a good reason to pick Quinn over other firms (except maybe Irell for West Coast IP) if you value getting actual litigation experience as a junior associate.

Return to “Legal Employment”