Interview at V20 firm as a T14 transfer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Interview at V20 firm as a T14 transfer

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:35 pm

I'm a TT to lower T14 transfer with grades that are good but not great (let's just say they're good-ish but not straight As, and likely my WE played a factor in acceptance). At OCI, I bid conservatively, mostly NYC. Then, following advice here, I threw my final few bids at satellites of highly ranked firms in my hometown, a big secondary market, thinking few would bid and maybe I'd get in some extra interview practice. I got two of those bids.

Should I continue to look at this as simply interview practice? Or is it possible that I might have a legit, albeit small, shot at a CB? My GPA is technically within both firms' CB range, but then not really, cause I'm a transfer.

Would it be wise to confront the issue head-on? For example, should I just up front say, "I know that you are interviewing many students who are very, very qualified, but I bid your firm because I really want to work there for X, Y, and Z compelling reasons and I can bring A, B and C value to your firm?"

TLSwag

Re: Interview at V20 firm as a T14 transfer

Postby TLSwag » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Should I continue to look at this as simply interview practice? Or is it possible that I might have a legit, albeit small, shot at a CB?

I don't really get this. The fact that it is a V20 firm shouldn't change your interview at all, except possibly to the extent that if you want this firm more than your others, you should prepare for and take the interview even more seriously. Don't do anything out of the normal because it is a more prestigious firm than your other interviews, and you probably have a shot at a CB especially in a secondary market regardless FWIW.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:16 pm

TLSwag wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Should I continue to look at this as simply interview practice? Or is it possible that I might have a legit, albeit small, shot at a CB?

I don't really get this. The fact that it is a V20 firm shouldn't change your interview at all, except possibly to the extent that if you want this firm more than your others, you should prepare for and take the interview even more seriously. Don't do anything out of the normal because it is a more prestigious firm than your other interviews, and you probably have a shot at a CB especially in a secondary market regardless FWIW.

My concern comes from the fact that V20s are generally more grade selective firms. And while my GPA may technically be within CB range, because I'm a transfer I should probably consider myself median instead.

I'm not saying that I will do anything out of the ordinary. I'll still prepare like hell for it, if only for the practice. But with a firm where my chances aren't zero/totally minuscule, I'm not gonna say, "Hey, other people are way more qualified, but hire me for X reasons," which would just highlight that other people are more qualified. But since this is a firm where I probably have a barely there, if any, chance, should I just go balls in and confront the issue? Should I say, "I know others are more qualified in terms of GPA, but I can bring value in other ways?"

And, it's a big secondary market at which many T14 students with ties strike out.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
TLSwag wrote:

My concern comes from the fact that V20s are generally more grade selective firms. And while my GPA may technically be within CB range, because I'm a transfer I should probably consider myself median instead.

I'm not saying that I will do anything out of the ordinary. I'll still prepare like hell for it, if only for the practice. But with a firm where my chances aren't zero/totally minuscule, I'm not gonna say, "Hey, other people are way more qualified, but hire me for X reasons," which would just highlight that other people are more qualified. But since this is a firm where I probably have a barely there, if any, chance, should I just go balls in and confront the issue? Should I say, "I know others are more qualified in terms of GPA, but I can bring value in other ways?"

And, it's a big secondary market at which many T14 students with ties strike out.

No no no. Never mention other candidates in an interview. The firm can sort that out for themselves. They are interviewing you for a reason. Don't put yourself down. Sell yourself as being a great fit for the firm. Don't over due it though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:29 pm

NYstate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
TLSwag wrote:

No no no. Never mention other candidates in an interview. The firm can sort that out for themselves. They are interviewing you for a reason. Don't put yourself down. Sell yourself as being a great fit for the firm. Don't over due it though.

Got it! Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:18 pm

NYstate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
TLSwag wrote:

Exactly this - you can, and should, convey why you are qualified and interested, i.e. what you were saying in your OP ("I bid because... and I can bring ...") just without the preliminary qualifier discussing other students.

Return to “Legal Employment”