people interviewing with V10: cultural fit?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
potted plant
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:01 pm

Re: people interviewing with V10: cultural fit?

Postby potted plant » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:but what I'm saying is that I can both prepare my answers to standard interview questions and develop a new set of interests. Not 10 different sets, just one or 2 to appeal to firms I especially want.

And it won't be like I'd develop the interests a week before the interview.

Hence I'm asking what culture prevails at a given firm and how I can demonstrate that I share the culture @ e.g., WLRK, CSM, & DPW.

Firm culture isn't about a set of interests. It's about the general personalities of the people, the social hierarchy, the way people relate to each other on a daily basis. They're not looking for people to join their book club. They're looking for people they want to work with. As others have said, you either have the sort of personality they want or you don't.

Also, does the bolded mean you're a 0L? You're not supposed to be in this forum.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: people interviewing with V10: cultural fit?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:23 pm

what I meant was I wouldn't be starting from scratch a week out. Most of these things already have roots on the ground.

But re NYstate's comment on fitting in thru being smart, detail oriented, and easy to work with: does the easy to work with part mean you have to be energetic and exciting, or can you be more serious but still extroverted? kinda like Kobe vs Dwight Howard if any of you know what I'm talking about.

NYstate
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Re: people interviewing with V10: cultural fit?

Postby NYstate » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:what I meant was I wouldn't be starting from scratch a week out. Most of these things already have roots on the ground.

But re NYstate's comment on fitting in thru being smart, detail oriented, and easy to work with: does the easy to work with part mean you have to be energetic and exciting, or can you be more serious but still extroverted? kinda like Kobe vs Dwight Howard if any of you know what I'm talking about.


Serious but extroverted is good.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: people interviewing with V10: cultural fit?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:35 pm

well then how do you show them you're extroverted (or at least not a frozen introvert) if all they see is the seriousness?

watching Kobe's press conferences, you'd never be able to tell he's extroverted if it weren't for his constant yapping at teammates/opponents

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: people interviewing with V10: cultural fit?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:well then how do you show them you're extroverted (or at least not a frozen introvert) if all they see is the seriousness?

watching Kobe's press conferences, you'd never be able to tell he's extroverted if it weren't for his constant yapping at teammates/opponents

Either you're a fit, or not. As long as you're not particularly awkward or weird, don't worry too much about it. It's not hard to be normal and presentable for 20 minutes

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: people interviewing with V10: cultural fit?

Postby Old Gregg » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:well then how do you show them you're extroverted (or at least not a frozen introvert) if all they see is the seriousness?

watching Kobe's press conferences, you'd never be able to tell he's extroverted if it weren't for his constant yapping at teammates/opponents

Either you're a fit, or not. As long as you're not particularly awkward or weird, don't worry too much about it. It's not hard to be normal and presentable for 20 minutes


OP is either stupid or trolling you. Either way, you shouldn't waste your time.

staples88
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:50 pm

Re: people interviewing with V10: cultural fit?

Postby staples88 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:09 am

=====
Last edited by staples88 on Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22822
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: people interviewing with V10: cultural fit?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:16 am

staples88 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:well then how do you show them you're extroverted (or at least not a frozen introvert) if all they see is the seriousness?

watching Kobe's press conferences, you'd never be able to tell he's extroverted if it weren't for his constant yapping at teammates/opponents

Either you're a fit, or not. As long as you're not particularly awkward or weird, don't worry too much about it. It's not hard to be normal and presentable for 20 minutes


Yea but what I want to do is turn the "either you're a fit or you're not" to "you're a fit everywhere, at least as you appear to the interviewer."

Even if this is an unwise end, how is it best achieved?

It can't be. That's why it's unwise.

NYstate
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Re: people interviewing with V10: cultural fit?

Postby NYstate » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:17 am

Fresh Prince wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:well then how do you show them you're extroverted (or at least not a frozen introvert) if all they see is the seriousness?

watching Kobe's press conferences, you'd never be able to tell he's extroverted if it weren't for his constant yapping at teammates/opponents

Either you're a fit, or not. As long as you're not particularly awkward or weird, don't worry too much about it. It's not hard to be normal and presentable for 20 minutes


OP is either stupid or trolling you. Either way, you shouldn't waste your time.


Agreed. Starting to understand why he is so worried about fitting in.

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: people interviewing with V10: cultural fit?

Postby Old Gregg » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:24 am

OP made the crucial mistake of posting non-anonymously. Same author of that dumb as shit phi beta kappa thread.

frankc
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:41 pm

Re: people interviewing with V10: cultural fit?

Postby frankc » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:22 am

Fresh Prince wrote:OP is either stupid or trolling you. Either way, you shouldn't waste your time.

Yeah this has gotta be a troll, or the OP is so fucking stupid that choosing between WLRK/DPW/CSM/etc. is the least of his problems.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18410
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: people interviewing with V10: cultural fit?

Postby bk1 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:38 am

This forum is not for 0Ls. Read the rules before posting.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.