How long does it generally take to get a callback?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How long does it generally take to get a callback?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:04 pm

I had OCI this week and have heard complete silence from every single one of the firms where I had my screeners. Mostly LA offices.

Will they at least do you the courtesy of letting you know they're dinging you instead of stringing you along?

Anonymous User

Re: How long does it generally take to get a callback?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had OCI this week and have heard complete silence from every single one of the firms where I had my screeners. Mostly LA offices.

Will they at least do you the courtesy of letting you know they're dinging you instead of stringing you along?

I'm in the same boat. Starting to freak out a bit and it's probably going to be a very long weekend.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:26 pm

Varies from firm to firm. Some firms will give callbacks the same day as the screener, some within a day or two, some will only give callbacks after a hiring committee meeting and for those you could be waiting a week or so. Does your school have an OCI thread? For a lot of firms they'll call for callback invites but mail dings, so it might be worth checking your school's OCI thread (if there is one) to see whether callback calls have already gone out for the firms you are waiting on.

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:48 pm

I think it goes w/o saying but start mass mailing right now if you have not already. Sure, you could get a ton of CBs, but every day that goes by now, another gate closes on getting an SA.

Some firms extend by the end of the week they OCI at your school... some firms go through 3-4 schools (or all) before deciding who gets a CB.

As to your second Q: No, a lot of firms will never send you a ding message in a reasonable time. By that I mean late September or never at the earliest. What worked for me: If no response from firm after 2 weeks, the snail mail rejection was either in the mail or on HR's list of things to do.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:42 pm

So, I mean, if it's been a week and you haven't heard anything, is there anything you should do to follow up? Email the recruiter? Or just sit around twiddling my thumbs? (I know I need to be mass mailing).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:25 pm

I interviewed with a number of LA offices last week. I just got a callback today for a firm I interviewed with last Monday. Got a callback yesterday for a firm I interviewed with on Wednesday. I think it's still early but more firms should be making calls in the next few days.

And I'd wait before bugging the recruiter.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:31 pm

I went through OCI last week and it seems as though most of the firms I interviewed with (between 20 and 30) have already sent out CB invitations. I had straight A's during my 1L year and have some good softs, but I don't have any CBs at this point. Almost all of my interviews seemed to go well, there were no awkward silences, I had firm-specific questions, and I have no idea what to do at this point. I've considered dropping out, but I don't have any career to fall back on as my UG major was political science (lulz).

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I went through OCI last week and it seems as though most of the firms I interviewed with (between 20 and 30) have already sent out CB invitations. I had straight A's during my 1L year and have some good softs, but I don't have any CBs at this point. Almost all of my interviews seemed to go well, there were no awkward silences, I had firm-specific questions, and I have no idea what to do at this point. I've considered dropping out, but I don't have any career to fall back on as my UG major was political science (lulz).

Don't you think dropping out would be a little extreme? Are you young? You sound young. Can you talk to CSO? They should at least have an idea if callbacks are happening for all the firms you interviewed with. If you're anxious talk to them first. I think you need to give it more time. But if you aren't getting a job through OCI, you need to get on your job search, mass mail, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:46 pm

NYstate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I went through OCI last week and it seems as though most of the firms I interviewed with (between 20 and 30) have already sent out CB invitations. I had straight A's during my 1L year and have some good softs, but I don't have any CBs at this point. Almost all of my interviews seemed to go well, there were no awkward silences, I had firm-specific questions, and I have no idea what to do at this point. I've considered dropping out, but I don't have any career to fall back on as my UG major was political science (lulz).

Don't you think dropping out would be a little extreme? Are you young? You sound young. Can you talk to CSO? They should at least have an idea if callbacks are happening for all the firms you interviewed with. If you're anxious talk to them first. I think you need to give it more time. But if you aren't getting a job through OCI, you need to get on your job search, mass mail, etc.

I'm 24. Dropping out would be extreme, but so would graduating with six-figure debt and either no job or a shitlaw job.

Finished UG a year early and worked for a small firm for the "gap" year before heading to LS. I've scheduled an appointment to speak with CSO tomorrow. Other students have indicated that they have callbacks at almost every firm I interviewed with. I've sent out about 100 mass-mails and received either no response or a ding.

UnderrateOverachieve

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:49 pm

Some firms it could two days some two weeks. Although, the firms that took longer specifically mentioned it to me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:26 am

If a firm has given out callbacks and dings but you haven't gotten either, are you stuck in their pile of alternates? Anyone have any experience with this and is there anything I can do besides hope?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If a firm has given out callbacks and dings but you haven't gotten either, are you stuck in their pile of alternates? Anyone have any experience with this and is there anything I can do besides hope?

Along these lines, does there become a point after a screener where you can contact the recruiting person or the person who interviewed you and let them know you've not heard back and you're still interested in their firm?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If a firm has given out callbacks and dings but you haven't gotten either, are you stuck in their pile of alternates? Anyone have any experience with this and is there anything I can do besides hope?

Along these lines, does there become a point after a screener where you can contact the recruiting person or the person who interviewed you and let them know you've not heard back and you're still interested in their firm?

I've heard people talk about sending LOCI, but I'm also unsure of when it becomes time to send one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Wondering this myself. Been a week since my first screeners. Should I start emailing after like 2 weeks, or what?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Wondering this myself. Been a week since my first screeners. Should I start emailing after like 2 weeks, or what?

This isn't going to help but just posting to say I am also wondering this. If anybody has any advice on the best time to start following up, it'd be appreciated. Also -- should you address your email to the recruiter or the person who did your screening interview?

bemusedcapybara

Postby bemusedcapybara » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:01 pm

I've been told/heard that you can follow up if you'd like after 3 weeks with no contact one way or the other.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:16 pm

bemusedcapybara wrote:I've been told/heard that you can follow up if you'd like after 3 weeks with no contact one way or the other.

What if you know CBs have gone out but all you got is a letter saying, basically, "We're holding you on ice and we'll let you know in a few weeks"? Should I send a follow up email to thank them for the update?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:26 pm

bemusedcapybara wrote:I've been told/heard that you can follow up if you'd like after 3 weeks with no contact one way or the other.

What do you write in a LOCI to a firm?

guano

Postby guano » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

What do you write in a LOCI to a firm?

Please please please please please

Return to “Legal Employment”