OCI/Callback Interviewer Taking Questions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
law321

New

Re: OCI/Callback Interviewer Taking Questions

Post by law321 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm about to do a CB with a very small satellite office of a national firm. Over half the associates in the office work in a pretty specialized area of transactional law, and the rest of the office does other stuff thats fairly closely related to that. I don't have any relevant WE in that area, but can I think I can talk fairly intelligently about it. Should I go in saying "yes, I want to work in X practice group (+related practice groups) for these reasons" or should I just go in saying "yes I want to work in corporate/transactional generally"?

I have a few pretty good reasons why I want to work in that practice area, but I dunno if it would come off as disingenuous since I don't have the relevant work experience.

I wouldn't find your statements to be disingenuous as long as you have reasonable/thoughtful reasons as to why you are leaning toward the speciality area.

Don't sweat this too much - The majority of law students don't have substantive experience in the areas in which they express an interest. So, there is some expectation you will at some point have to express an interest in something in which you may not have tons of experience.

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:08 am

law321 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If the interviewer at a callback asks if you have other offers and callbacks, would saying you don't feel comfortable answering or giving a vague (not naming specific places) answer hurt you?

Should I be trying to convey that I have other options?

*I have an offer and a few callbacks scheduled
These questions will come up at callbacks. The questions will probably be designed to be more specific - "tell me where else you are interviewing/you have callbacks/offers".

General rule of thumb - don't evade answering questions about other opportunities. If we want you badly enough, we will pursue you even if you have no other opportunities or lots of other opportunities.
Then what is the purpose behind the question? If the candidate has other offers, you move them up in the line?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:17 am

manofjustice wrote:
law321 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If the interviewer at a callback asks if you have other offers and callbacks, would saying you don't feel comfortable answering or giving a vague (not naming specific places) answer hurt you?

These questions will come up at callbacks. The questions will probably be designed to be more specific - "tell me where else you are interviewing/you have callbacks/offers".

General rule of thumb - don't evade answering questions about other opportunities. If we want you badly enough, we will pursue you even if you have no other opportunities or lots of other opportunities.
Then what is the purpose behind the question? If the candidate has other offers, you move them up in the line?
Yield prediction? Firms that aren't Winston try to plan for a summer class of a predetermined size.

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
manofjustice wrote:
law321 wrote:

Yield prediction? Firms that aren't Winston try to plan for a summer class of a predetermined size.
So the more interviews you have, the less attractive a candidate you are from a yield perspective? Bottom line, law321, is it's an out-of-line question. It's really none of the firm's business whom else I'm interviewing with. If the firm wants me, they extend me an offer. Your yield is not my concern.

aces

Bronze

Post by aces » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:12 am

Sometimes well-meaning associates/partners at firms ask a question like that at a callback to try and sell their firm vis-a-vis other "peer firms" you might also be interviewing at.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ragelion

Gold

Post by ragelion » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:15 am

manofjustice wrote:[
So the more interviews you have, the less attractive a candidate you are from a yield perspective? Bottom line, law321, is it's an out-of-line question. It's really none of the firm's business whom else I'm interviewing with. If the firm wants me, they extend me an offer. Your yield is not my concern.
The yield inquiry has nothing to do with the individual interviewee, you dense retard.

ragelion

Gold

Post by ragelion » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:17 am

aces wrote:Sometimes well-meaning associates/partners at firms ask a question like that at a callback to try and sell their firm vis-a-vis other "peer firms" you might also be interviewing at.
Or they just ask because they can. If I were remotely senior I'd do it every time for fun.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:52 am

law321 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I want to convey to firm X that they are sincerely my ideal firm (they really are). I have already hit it off well with the interviewer at a law review mixer this summer, so I also have that going for me.

Would it come off wrong to tell them during my screener that they are truly my number one choice? I want to try and convey that they are not just another firm I'm interviewing with.

Thanks!
It would certainty not come off wrong for me because I heavily value an applicant's expressed interest in my firm.
If we try to insert this during a screener, when is the best point to do so? At every interview? Only with the partners? With the legal recruiter?

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:09 am

ragelion wrote:
The yield inquiry has nothing to do with the individual interviewee, you dense retard.
The only thing that made sense from that post was "dense retard." Fucking five-year old.

What other firms are "you" interviewing at has nothing to do with the individual interviewee? Did you forget to write something?

In all industries I'm familiar with, it's an out-of-line question. I'm not the only one who thinks that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:36 am

MOJ, stop shitting up one of the most useful ongoing on-topic threads. No one cares about your definition of appropriateness.

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:51 pm

Danger Zone wrote:MOJ, stop shitting up one of the most useful ongoing on-topic threads. No one cares about your definition of appropriateness.
Fair enough. I'll bow out.

law321

New

Post by law321 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:23 pm

manofjustice wrote:
ragelion wrote:
The only thing that made sense from that post was "dense retard." Fucking five-year old.

What other firms are "you" interviewing at has nothing to do with the individual interviewee? Did you forget to write something?

In all industries I'm familiar with, it's an out-of-line question. I'm not the only one who thinks that.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

But, know that many (most?) interviewers in the industry you have chosen do not consider this question inappropriate.

law321

New

Post by law321 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
law321 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I want to convey to firm X that they are sincerely my ideal firm (they really are). I have already hit it off well with the interviewer at a law review mixer this summer, so I also have that going for me.

Would it come off wrong to tell them during my screener that they are truly my number one choice? I want to try and convey that they are not just another firm I'm interviewing with.

Thanks!
It would certainty not come off wrong for me because I heavily value an applicant's expressed interest in my firm.
If we try to insert this during a screener, when is the best point to do so? At every interview? Only with the partners? With the legal recruiter?
No right answer. My best advice would be to not "force it" - feel free to make mention of your interest when doing so would make sense/flow with the interview. For example, a "why XYZ firm" question would seem to be the ideal place to work it in. You could explain the many things you find great and conclude with "that's why this is my number one".

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:49 pm

What gets people dinged after callbacks?

I already failed to get an offer after one of my CBs, though I think it was an uphill climb for me anyway because it's a very selective firm and my grades were below their usual standards. But I still haven't heard back from a target firm with whom I had a very pleasant CB, so I'm expecting a rejection email to come very soon.

I have a decent amount of CBs, so I think I'm at least a capable interviewer. These firms were two of my top choices, and if I get dinged at both, it will be very deflating.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:50 am

Does it look bad to turn down lunch? I have a couple days scheduled where I have a CB in the morning and one in the afternoon (not by choice; this is the only way the scheduling worked out) but I'm concerned that if the morning firm invites me to lunch and I say no they'll think I'm not really interested/not a team player/etc. Should I be honest with them about having another callback, or just say I can't make it?

skw

Bronze

Post by skw » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:34 am

Say you would love to, but you have a prior commitment that afternoon. Perhaps discuss this with whomever is scheduling you when they give you the names of your interviewers. I was never surprised when the firm wanted to take me to lunch. I was always told prior to showing up for the interview.

law321

New

Post by law321 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does it look bad to turn down lunch? I have a couple days scheduled where I have a CB in the morning and one in the afternoon (not by choice; this is the only way the scheduling worked out) but I'm concerned that if the morning firm invites me to lunch and I say no they'll think I'm not really interested/not a team player/etc. Should I be honest with them about having another callback, or just say I can't make it?
Just be honest about having another commitment. Firms know you are shopping around. If you bailed on lunch without any reasonable explanation I would wonder why.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

law321

New

Post by law321 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What gets people dinged after callbacks?

I already failed to get an offer after one of my CBs, though I think it was an uphill climb for me anyway because it's a very selective firm and my grades were below their usual standards. But I still haven't heard back from a target firm with whom I had a very pleasant CB, so I'm expecting a rejection email to come very soon.

I have a decent amount of CBs, so I think I'm at least a capable interviewer. These firms were two of my top choices, and if I get dinged at both, it will be very deflating.

As an initial matter, it can take time to make decisions on offers. The hiring committee will need to meet to review your file, which can be tough to coordinate during this time of the year. So, don't read too much into longer timelines.

Having said that, people get dinged after callbacks for the same things that result in dings after screening interviews. Callbacks can get tricky because you meet with several different people in a row, each of whom is mid-stream during a workday. So, if you get unlucky, the interviewer may be frazzled/busy and expect you to really carry things. That is probably the biggest difference between screening interviews versus callbacks. Otherwise, I consider them to be the same. So, do on callbacks whatever you are doing on screening interviews, and be ready to ask tons of questions and really guide the callback interviews if need be.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:31 am

If firm X has given back CB to students and you did not receive one one, is it safe to say you were dinged? Do firms every do CB on a rolling basis or do they offer CB interviews all on the same day?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:37 pm

If you've been dinged, is there anything you can do to get another chance?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

law321

New

Post by law321 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If firm X has given back CB to students and you did not receive one one, is it safe to say you were dinged? Do firms every do CB on a rolling basis or do they offer CB interviews all on the same day?
Firm specific. But, I know with 100% certainty that at least some make callback offers on a rolling basis.

law321

New

Post by law321 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you've been dinged, is there anything you can do to get another chance?
Unfortunately, almost certainly no. I hedge a tad here because there's always an exception to the rule. But, short of knowing an important partner who will go out of his/her way to appeal your case to the hiring committee, probably very little chance of getting a second shot. I'd focus my efforts on upcoming interviews and job applications.

TooOld4This

Silver

Post by TooOld4This » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:35 pm

law321 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If firm X has given back CB to students and you did not receive one one, is it safe to say you were dinged? Do firms every do CB on a rolling basis or do they offer CB interviews all on the same day?
Firm specific. But, I know with 100% certainty that at least some make callback offers on a rolling basis.
Popping in again. :D

I agree with law321, but want to fend off false hope. If you know others have gotten callbacks from your school, you need to assume it is a no. There are many firms that don't ever send rejections, or don't reject the second cut (i.e., those that aren't auto-dings) rejections until they have finalized their summer programs.

Don't hold out hope at the expense of aggressively pursuing other avenues.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:51 am

law321 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What gets people dinged after callbacks?

As an initial matter, it can take time to make decisions on offers. The hiring committee will need to meet to review your file, which can be tough to coordinate during this time of the year. So, don't read too much into longer timelines.

Having said that, people get dinged after callbacks for the same things that result in dings after screening interviews. Callbacks can get tricky because you meet with several different people in a row, each of whom is mid-stream during a workday. So, if you get unlucky, the interviewer may be frazzled/busy and expect you to really carry things. That is probably the biggest difference between screening interviews versus callbacks. Otherwise, I consider them to be the same. So, do on callbacks whatever you are doing on screening interviews, and be ready to ask tons of questions and really guide the callback interviews if need be.
What goes into the review process with the hiring committee? Is it taking another look at resume, writing sample, and interviewer evaluations? How many attorneys are typically on the hiring committee? I heard that it will only take the committee less than twenty minutes to decide to make an offer/hold/reject. Any truth to this?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”