OCI/Callback Interviewer Taking Questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
manofjustice

Re: OCI/Callback Interviewer Taking Questions

Postby manofjustice » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:45 am

ITT, law321 says "tell me you love me" and do it so well he'd be shocked to hear you say you love the firm OCIing in the hotel room next door.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:04 am

My grades are less than stellar, and during a callback I was asked about why I didn't do so well. How do you think it would be perceived if I offered to perform a task/assignment for them to prove my capabilities?

Note: I am being considered for a particular practice group, for which there is a clear need, and for which I have strong work experience. The office to which I applied does not currently have a summer program, I'm the only candidate they interviewed, and as best as I can tell they haven't decided one way or the other yet

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:My grades are less than stellar, and during a callback I was asked about why I didn't do so well. How do you think it would be perceived if I offered to perform a task/assignment for them to prove my capabilities?

Note: I am being considered for a particular practice group, for which there is a clear need, and for which I have strong work experience. The office to which I applied does not currently have a summer program, I'm the only candidate they interviewed, and as best as I can tell they haven't decided one way or the other yet

How would that work exactly? You would do a free project for them?
Didn't you give them a writing sample?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:09 am

NYstate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My grades are less than stellar, and during a callback I was asked about why I didn't do so well. How do you think it would be perceived if I offered to perform a task/assignment for them to prove my capabilities?

I got a callback on strength of resume. No writing sample, no transcript. First time I got asked about grades was during the CB

I'm applying directly to a specific practice group. It's a niche area that has nothing to do with typical 1L subjects. Not sure how it would work in practice, but, my grades suck. I need to overcome that hurdle somehow. In all other respects, they pretty much love me, but that's a sticking point I don't know if I can get over

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:13 am

if when scheduling a CB, HR asks me "do i have anyone in a particular practice gorup i would like to meet with, will it hurt me if i say "no" or " a mix would be perfect"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:44 am

How much will it hurt you in the hiring process if you know associates at ____ firm and you are not their favorite person? I was engaged to someone who is now a third year associate at a top NYC firm. For his first 2.5 years of law school, I hung out with him and his law school friends constantly. We broke up near the end of his 3L year and it was a messy break up. Many of his friends (who I know well but haven't talked to since the break up) work at firms for which I interviewed. I ran into 3 of these people at firm receptions earlier in the year for HLS 1Ls. How much can the impression of being unliked after the break up hurt me in my job hunt? I never cheated on my ex or did anything totally batshit, but the break up was ugly and his friends are HIS friends...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:45 am

Good luck to all!

cidergirl

Postby cidergirl » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:48 am

How much weight do you give to writing samples? I assume mediocrity probably doesn't have much of an impact?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:16 pm

Question on "biggest mistake?"

What is a decent answer to this?

In reality my biggest mistake was receiving a minor-in-consumption citation but I don't really want to say that in an interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:38 pm

I was invited in for a screener interview with a very selective law firm on the basis of my resume/transcript (i.e., not lottery). The interview went fine, but not extraordinarily well, and the firm is so selective I was not expecting much to come from it. But before the interview, on a whim, I sent my note (soon to be published) to a partner at the same firm (not my interviewer) who is an expert in the subject area I wrote about, wrote a treatise that I cited several times, and is likely one of their most well-known and highly-regarded lawyers.

To my surprise, he replied with effusive praise for my work, said that he would cite it in the next edition of his treatise, and said that he would forward it to my interviewer (but that it would likely be received after my interview). Obviously, this was really encouraging on many levels. Several people told me I should follow up aggressively with the firm to try to capitalize on the fact that he the partner liked my writing so much, but I am unsure how to best do this, or if it is something I should even do at all. Any ideas or suggestions? Emails to my interviewer? The recruiter? Thanks for any advice.

cidergirl

Postby cidergirl » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was invited in for a screener interview with a very selective law firm on the basis of my resume/transcript (i.e., not lottery). The interview went fine, but not extraordinarily well, and the firm is so selective I was not expecting much to come from it. But before the interview, on a whim, I sent my note (soon to be published) to a partner at the same firm (not my interviewer) who is an expert in the subject area I wrote about, wrote a treatise that I cited several times, and is likely one of their most well-known and highly-regarded lawyers.

To my surprise, he replied with effusive praise for my work, said that he would cite it in the next edition of his treatise, and said that he would forward it to my interviewer (but that it would likely be received after my interview). Obviously, this was really encouraging on many levels. Several people told me I should follow up aggressively with the firm to try to capitalize on the fact that he the partner liked my writing so much, but I am unsure how to best do this, or if it is something I should even do at all. Any ideas or suggestions? Emails to my interviewer? The recruiter? Thanks for any advice.

That is incredible. Congrats! I don't have advice, but good for you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:37 pm

If the interviewer at a callback asks if you have other offers and callbacks, would saying you don't feel comfortable answering or giving a vague (not naming specific places) answer hurt you?

Should I be trying to convey that I have other options?

*I have an offer and a few callbacks scheduled

law321

Postby law321 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If the interviewer at a callback asks if you have other offers and callbacks, would saying you don't feel comfortable answering or giving a vague (not naming specific places) answer hurt you?

Should I be trying to convey that I have other options?

*I have an offer and a few callbacks scheduled

These questions will come up at callbacks. The questions will probably be designed to be more specific - "tell me where else you are interviewing/you have callbacks/offers".

General rule of thumb - don't evade answering questions about other opportunities. If we want you badly enough, we will pursue you even if you have no other opportunities or lots of other opportunities.

law321

Postby law321 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was invited in for a screener interview with a very selective law firm on the basis of my resume/transcript (i.e., not lottery). The interview went fine, but not extraordinarily well, and the firm is so selective I was not expecting much to come from it. But before the interview, on a whim, I sent my note (soon to be published) to a partner at the same firm (not my interviewer) who is an expert in the subject area I wrote about, wrote a treatise that I cited several times, and is likely one of their most well-known and highly-regarded lawyers.

That is great - you should be psyched that an expert admires your work.

You don't need to do anything at this juncture. If this partner was as impressed as he sounded, he will have communicated with the right people. Frankly, even if your interviewer didn't get wind of this, the partner's glowing endorsement after an otherwise mediocre interviewer can absolutely lead to a callback (especially if the partner has a big book/is a major player at the firm).

law321

Postby law321 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Question on "biggest mistake?"

What is a decent answer to this?

In reality my biggest mistake was receiving a minor-in-consumption citation but I don't really want to say that in an interview.

Don't refer to criminal arrests/charges/convictions. Refer to a work-related error you made that also can serve as a strength.

law321

Postby law321 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:09 pm

cidergirl wrote:How much weight do you give to writing samples? I assume mediocrity probably doesn't have much of an impact?

I don't even look at them.

Edit - I should say, more accurately, I look at them VERY rarely. And, when I do, I scan them very quickly.

law321

Postby law321 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How much will it hurt you in the hiring process if you know associates at ____ firm and you are not their favorite person? I was engaged to someone who is now a third year associate at a top NYC firm. For his first 2.5 years of law school, I hung out with him and his law school friends constantly. We broke up near the end of his 3L year and it was a messy break up. Many of his friends (who I know well but haven't talked to since the break up) work at firms for which I interviewed. I ran into 3 of these people at firm receptions earlier in the year for HLS 1Ls. How much can the impression of being unliked after the break up hurt me in my job hunt? I never cheated on my ex or did anything totally batshit, but the break up was ugly and his friends are HIS friends...

Well, it depends. You won't want to hear this, but this can definitely hurt you if your ex-fiance is somehow involved with recruiting/close with those who are.

law321

Postby law321 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:if when scheduling a CB, HR asks me "do i have anyone in a particular practice gorup i would like to meet with, will it hurt me if i say "no" or " a mix would be perfect"

The latter is better, while the former is not necessarily a bad or wrong answer. We don't expect you to know exactly what you want to do. But, I think the better approach is evidence an interest in meeting with people from various areas to show you are interested in figuring out your preference, rather than making the firm pull from thin air who to set you up with.

law321

Postby law321 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
NYstate wrote:

I got a callback on strength of resume. No writing sample, no transcript. First time I got asked about grades was during the CB

I'm applying directly to a specific practice group. It's a niche area that has nothing to do with typical 1L subjects. Not sure how it would work in practice, but, my grades suck. I need to overcome that hurdle somehow. In all other respects, they pretty much love me, but that's a sticking point I don't know if I can get over

Interesting idea, but they would never allow that for various reasons (conflicts, confidentiality, lack of employment relationship, etc.). Don't offer to do this.

law321

Postby law321 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:18 pm

manofjustice wrote:ITT, law321 says "tell me you love me" and do it so well he'd be shocked to hear you say you love the firm OCIing in the hotel room next door.

This makes no sense.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:27 pm

I have had two screeners where interviewers talked a majority of the time. I would ask a question and then they would not stop talking, to the point where it was hard to interject.

Is this bad when you don't get to say much?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:48 pm

law321 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How much will it hurt you in the hiring process if you know associates at ____ firm and you are not their favorite person? I was engaged to someone who is now a third year associate at a top NYC firm. For his first 2.5 years of law school, I hung out with him and his law school friends constantly. We broke up near the end of his 3L year and it was a messy break up. Many of his friends (who I know well but haven't talked to since the break up) work at firms for which I interviewed. I ran into 3 of these people at firm receptions earlier in the year for HLS 1Ls. How much can the impression of being unliked after the break up hurt me in my job hunt? I never cheated on my ex or did anything totally batshit, but the break up was ugly and his friends are HIS friends...

Well, it depends. You won't want to hear this, but this can definitely hurt you if your ex-fiance is somehow involved with recruiting/close with those who are.

Right. I wonder if it could hurt me even if he is friends with someone in recruiting. For CBs do you meet pretty much everyone in your practice area/division at a firm? My ex-fiance is incredibly charismatic and persuasive and could easily make me seem like a bad candidate without looking like he is badmouthing. He makes a point of being "friends" with everyone. I have few enough CBs that this is really starting to worry me. Please tell me if I am overreacting or any advice on trying to ameliorate this situation. Thank you!

law321

Postby law321 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have had two screeners where interviewers talked a majority of the time. I would ask a question and then they would not stop talking, to the point where it was hard to interject.

Is this bad when you don't get to say much?

This happens. Sounds like the interviewer was the more chatty type. Unlikely s/he will hold that against you.

law321

Postby law321 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
law321 wrote:

Right. I wonder if it could hurt me even if he is friends with someone in recruiting. For CBs do you meet pretty much everyone in your practice area/division at a firm? My ex-fiance is incredibly charismatic and persuasive and could easily make me seem like a bad candidate without looking like he is badmouthing. He makes a point of being "friends" with everyone. I have few enough CBs that this is really starting to worry me. Please tell me if I am overreacting or any advice on trying to ameliorate this situation. Thank you!

For anyone who has gone through law school, this will come as no surprise: firms can be gossip mills where people share their/others stories like teenagers in high school. And, attorneys often share with recruiting dept./interviewers their views on candidates they know.

Having said that, do not freak out. It stands to reason the ex won't say anything - he will probably realize any negative comments he makes about you may be interpreted to stem from the break-up....and, as such, such comments could make him appear incapable of separating his personal and professional life. I think under these circumstances, there's a very good chance he keeps his mouth shut out of his interest for self-preservation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:11 pm

I'm about to do a CB with a very small satellite office of a national firm. Over half the associates in the office work in a pretty specialized area of transactional law, and the rest of the office does other stuff thats fairly closely related to that. I don't have any relevant WE in that area, but can I think I can talk fairly intelligently about it. Should I go in saying "yes, I want to work in X practice group (+related practice groups) for these reasons" or should I just go in saying "yes I want to work in corporate/transactional generally"?

I have a few pretty good reasons why I want to work in that practice area, but I dunno if it would come off as disingenuous since I don't have the relevant work experience.

Return to “Legal Employment”