What to expect when you're callback

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What to expect when you're callback

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:15 pm

I've gotten my first callback booked, which includes meetings with several attorneys + a video conference with the head of a practice group I have expresses a strong interest in. Here's my question:

What the hell is a callback? There's plenty of information here about bidding, OCI and interviewing, but, what should I expect during the callback? I'm seriously clueless, and this firm is my top choice. Please help me out here, so I don't screw up

Anonymous User

Re: What to expect when you're callback

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've gotten my first callback booked, which includes meetings with several attorneys + a video conference with the head of a practice group I have expresses a strong interest in. Here's my question:

What the hell is a callback? There's plenty of information here about bidding, OCI and interviewing, but, what should I expect during the callback? I'm seriously clueless, and this firm is my top choice. Please help me out here, so I don't screw up

In my limited experience, a call back is basically 4-6 screeners in a row.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've gotten my first callback booked, which includes meetings with several attorneys + a video conference with the head of a practice group I have expresses a strong interest in. Here's my question:

This isn't universally true. The best source for information on the format of a callback is a 3L or recent alum at your school who's familiar with the firm and their process.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:31 pm

Nelson wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This isn't universally true. The best source for information on the format of a callback is a 3L or recent alum at your school who's familiar with the firm and their process.

2 problems:
1. the firm has never conducted OCI at my school
2. the firm only has a satellite office in my (major) market and normally only hires laterals
Before anyone asks, it is a major, name brand firm; 500+ lawyers, offices in a dozen cities, seven figure PPP, and all the other fun stuff.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:48 am

I thought the general consensus was that morning callbacks usually involve lunch. I've had one callback in the morning where the interviews ended at lunch and that was it - no lunch, and I've got another one scheduled for morning and there was no mention of lunch when I was setting the callback up.

Are people finding that firms are moving away from lunches out for those that interview in the morning?

harbin

Postby harbin » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I thought the general consensus was that morning callbacks usually involve lunch. I've had one callback in the morning where the interviews ended at lunch and that was it - no lunch, and I've got another one scheduled for morning and there was no mention of lunch when I was setting the callback up.

Are people finding that firms are moving away from lunches out for those that interview in the morning?

So far I have had or scheduled four morning callbacks, three of those included lunch or mentioned in my scheduling they will include lunch. Personal anecdote, but at least in my experience they aren't moving away from it.

law321

Postby law321 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:20 pm

harbin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I thought the general consensus was that morning callbacks usually involve lunch. I've had one callback in the morning where the interviews ended at lunch and that was it - no lunch, and I've got another one scheduled for morning and there was no mention of lunch when I was setting the callback up.

So far I have had or scheduled four morning callbacks, three of those included lunch or mentioned in my scheduling they will include lunch. Personal anecdote, but at least in my experience they aren't moving away from it.

Biglaw interviewer (OCI/callbacks, etc) willing to answer some questions.

Callback format varies among firms. But, for preparation purposes, treat them like several screening interviews in a row. And, have many questions at the ready. Sometimes, they can be geared more toward educating you about the firm.

shj2013

Postby shj2013 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:57 pm

So are the callback interview questions generally the same types as for the screeners?

law321

Postby law321 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:20 pm

shj2013 wrote:So are the callback interview questions generally the same types as for the screeners?

Generally, the ones I ask, yes. I tend to treat them like screeners so I can get a feel for the applicant's personality, goals, work experience, etc, then I allow the applicant to fire away with questions.

The only difference to the extent there is one at all (for me personally), is the applicant has more time to ask more questions about the firm. Otherwise, callback = screener.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:25 pm

law321 wrote:
shj2013 wrote:So are the callback interview questions generally the same types as for the screeners?

Generally, the ones I ask, yes. I tend to treat them like screeners so I can get a feel for the applicant's personality, goals, work experience, etc, then I allow the applicant to fire away with questions.

The only difference to the extent there is one at all (for me personally), is the applicant has more time to ask more questions about the firm. Otherwise, callback = screener.

Also, remember that the CB interviewers will talk to each other or at least write up something about you so you need to keep answers consistent (i.e. don't tell all the lit interviewers you are dying for litigation and all the M&A guys you want corporate).

law321

Postby law321 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:43 pm

Icculus wrote:
law321 wrote:

Also, remember that the CB interviewers will talk to each other or at least write up something about you so you need to keep answers consistent (i.e. don't tell all the lit interviewers you are dying for litigation and all the M&A guys you want corporate).

Very good point. Notes will indeed be shared, so keep that in mind.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:17 pm

Icculus wrote:
law321 wrote:

OP here.

This won't be a problem, because I'm interviewing for a particular practice group, and am only meeting people from that practice group. I am afraid of running out of questions. Any other tips that I should be aware of?

law321

Postby law321 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Icculus wrote:
law321 wrote:

OP here.

This won't be a problem, because I'm interviewing for a particular practice group, and am only meeting people from that practice group. I am afraid of running out of questions. Any other tips that I should be aware of?

Memorize a bunch of questions that are not likely to be covered by your conversation (i.e., do SAs ever have the opportunity to collaborate with each other on projects, do SAs ever have an opportunity to write client alerts or articles, etc.).

Eat something before the interview so you aren't lightheaded/starving.

And, be yourself - I can tell when an applicant is putting on a show.

Return to “Legal Employment”