Winston & Strawn offer rate Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Winston & Strawn offer rate

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:20 pm

have an interview coming up with their chicago office. nalp says only 22/31 summers received offers. anyone have insight into this?

Anonymous User

Re: Winston & Strawn offer rate

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:have an interview coming up with their chicago office. nalp says only 22/31 summers received offers. anyone have insight into this?
No offered half their Chicago summer class last year after intimating they would all get offers if they did well.

Also take this any way you'd like it: http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.com/a ... fice-space

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:34 pm

Decreased their summer hiring for this year's summer class substantially. I think there is no word yet on whether that was enough to ensure a higher offer %.

http://www.americanlawyer.com/PubArticl ... wn_in_2013

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:have an interview coming up with their chicago office. nalp says only 22/31 summers received offers. anyone have insight into this?
They were lousy, sneaky, and horrible to people. Those people had other offers, other places they could have gone for the summer. Winston can burn in hell for all I care.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:39 pm

Fuck that firm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:42 pm

I would take an offer from them only if it is the only shot you have. If you have other offers, strongly consider the other firms over Winston.

They treated last years summers worse than most firms did at the height of the recession.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:54 pm

Damn. Well this is discouraging.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Damn. Well this is discouraging.
The SAs they no offered have struggled. You don't want to trust Winston if you can get another job. If not, if that is your only offer, with reduced class size, maybe they won't have to no offer people again.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:12 pm

NYstate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Damn. Well this is discouraging.
The SAs they no offered have struggled. You don't want to trust Winston if you can get another job. If not, if that is your only offer, with reduced class size, maybe they won't have to no offer people again.
Thanks for the advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:19 pm

This firm sucks. Do not bid.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:03 am

Got a callback with this firm. Anyone know whether this summer class had similar offer rates or if they've adjusted the class size to be consistent with their actual needs? Also, everyone who has said to stay away and not bid this firm, is that related to the offer rate issue or are there other reasons?

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:Got a callback with this firm. Anyone know whether this summer class had similar offer rates or if they've adjusted the class size to be consistent with their actual needs? Also, everyone who has said to stay away and not bid this firm, is that related to the offer rate issue or are there other reasons?
I'm also really interested in hearing about this

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:32 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:Fuck that firm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:42 am

Don't go there. The summer before last they no offered 3 or 4 people out of 12 in NYC. I had a CB there last August and it was bizarre. The office was like a ghost town....

Edit to add more info: I already had an offer when I went in for my CB so I wasn't afraid to ask questions. I spoke with the partner about offer rates and he basically brushed off my question regarding offer rates. It didn't really seem like he gave a shit that summers who were depending on an offer in order to begin their careers got no offered for no good reason.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

splitsplat

Silver

Post by splitsplat » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:43 am

have a friend that summered there, her reviews were glowing and they basically told her she was going to be returning. was no-offerred.

BullShitWithBravado

Bronze

Post by BullShitWithBravado » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:47 am

splitsplat wrote:have a friend that summered there, her reviews were glowing and they basically told her she was going to be returning. was no-offerred.
That's horrible.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:Got a callback with this firm. Anyone know whether this summer class had similar offer rates or if they've adjusted the class size to be consistent with their actual needs? Also, everyone who has said to stay away and not bid this firm, is that related to the offer rate issue or are there other reasons?
It's a culture issue. A firm that tells all its summers coming in that if they don't screw up they'll be back after they graduate, then no-offers them and then acts like they were never hired in the first place is not somewhere you should go if you have other offers.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:40 am

Emma. wrote:

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:53 am

rad lulz wrote:
Emma. wrote:
Do not trust this firm.

This is just a year ago they were no offering a significant number of people after promising jobs to everyone. As far as I know, they did nothing to help people find other jobs and may have hurt people getting other jobs by not wanting to admit their financial position.

No firm is completely trustworthy; but, they have proven untrustworthy within the last year. If you have any other offer seriously consider that firm before commiting to them.

Edit to add: I think there was an article posted about them downsizing space. This is not a good sign. Something is obviously off with the firm financials.

RodneyRuxin

Bronze

Post by RodneyRuxin » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:17 am

rad lulz wrote:
Emma. wrote:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:36 pm

NYstate wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Emma. wrote:
Do not trust this firm.

This is just a year ago they were no offering a significant number of people after promising jobs to everyone. As far as I know, they did nothing to help people find other jobs and may have hurt people getting other jobs by not wanting to admit their financial position.

No firm is completely trustworthy; but, they have proven untrustworthy within the last year. If you have any other offer seriously consider that firm before commiting to them.

Edit to add: I think there was an article posted about them downsizing space. This is not a good sign. Something is obviously off with the firm financials.
Almost a quarter of their space in an office tower they share with one other tenant. They have a weird rep in Chicago, particularly having represented Jesse Jackson Jr and George Ryan long after they stopped paying their legal bills.

I know 3 of the people they no-offered in the Chicago office last year. All had other offers at peer firms. They told them very little about why they were no-offered and offered almost no assistance in securing a permanent position.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:31 am

Chicago SA here. No word yet, though they told us early in the summer we wouldn't hear until late August. They made multiple statements about intending to offer everyone, but the previous class said the same thing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Chicago SA here. No word yet, though they told us early in the summer we wouldn't hear until late August. They made multiple statements about intending to offer everyone, but the previous class said the same thing.

Thanks for posting. Can you update when you hear? I have a callback next week and it's going to be hard not to ask in some manner about offer rates/program competitiveness.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks for posting. Can you update when you hear? I have a callback next week and it's going to be hard not to ask in some manner about offer rates/program competitiveness.
Will do. For the record, I flat-out asked about offer rates, etc. on my callback last year during the lunch with junior associates.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Will do. For the record, I flat-out asked about offer rates, etc. on my callback last year during the lunch with junior associates.
Lol. What did they say about last summer's massacre?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”