Thoughts on an overseas rotation during an SA?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Thoughts on an overseas rotation during an SA?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:14 pm

I have a callback coming up with a V5 firm that allows SAs to spend part of their summer with the firm's overseas offices. I've been considering the pros and cons spending a few weeks in Hong for transactional work - my screening interviewer seemed pretty receptive to the idea, but I'm leery about expressing too strong of an interest/jeopardizing my chances of getting an offer at the end of the summer. Anyone have any insight on this?

Anonymous User

Re: Thoughts on an overseas rotation during an SA?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:06 pm

If this is for DPW, the firm will ask everyone who has accepted a summer associate offer to apply to do an overseas rotation during their summer. So you can express an interest in it during your callback, especially if you're interested in capital markets, but it's not something you need to be really sure about during a CB because the application process comes later anyway. So if you're worried bringing it up would hurt your chances to get an offer for the summer, mention it but don't harp about it. And you don't need to worry about it having an effect on your permanent offer status at all should you end up summering with the firm--the firm isn't going to penalize you for going on an overseas assignment that it sent you on, and offers are always ~100% anyway.

bdubs

Re: Thoughts on an overseas rotation during an SA?

Postby bdubs » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:36 pm

Absolutely do it if you have the chance but save talking about it too much during a CB. None of the firms that do this will guarantee you a spot on the rotation so they don't want it to be a deal breaker. Ask a lot of follow up questions about likelihood of going after you get the offer.

Return to “Legal Employment”