Interviewer from school that I just transferred out of Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Interviewer from school that I just transferred out of

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:27 am

I transferred because (on top of the obvious jump in rankings and access to firms at OCI) the national recognition of my new school can help me get back to my home state. But because my home market is tough to break into, I also bid on firms where my old and new school is. Now I have a screener with a firm in my school's city and with someone who graduated from the school I just transferred out of.

How should I field the "Why did you transfer" question, if it comes up? Also, the interview comes from a job fair in my school's city - not from my new school's OCI - so I can't exactly say, "I transferred to get a shot at interviewing in front of you."

Anonymous User

Re: Interviewer from school that I just transferred out of

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:16 pm

I've been fielding this question with "obviously, prestige is a factor, but my old school is really geared towards public service and new school seems more interested in corporate practice rather than public interest, and I have very corporate interests." I think just cutting off the "obviously prestige..." part would be a good answer that doesn't offend. If there's an identifiable professor in your interest that you're really excited about, that would also be a good response.

jess

Post by jess » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:58 pm

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:24 pm

I don't think I would say that your old school was too "public interest oriented." That doesn't really mean anything unless you're transferring from, say, CUNY or Northeastern. And the interviewer will know it's bullshit if he went there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”