Questions to ask at interview

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
echooo23

Questions to ask at interview

Postby echooo23 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:16 am

What are some questions that you have asked at interviews that led to successful dialogue? What are some questions that led to bored stares and one sentence answers? What kind of questions should never be asked? How much research should be done on an interviewer until it crosses the creepy/stalker line? What are some questions that are trite and tired? How many questions should we have prepared?

Kage3212

Re: Questions to ask at interview

Postby Kage3212 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:12 pm

This is relevant to my interests as well.

Our CSO has been hammering home that you need to connect on some level with the questions. For example, see if that person has written an article/spoke at an engagement about an area where you may have some experience. Finding common ground seems the best way to go, its just hard finding that ground.

Recycleable Questions:
1.) Why did you initially decide to join the firm and what has kept you here throughout the years
2.) How did you end up/decide to pursue a career in XYZ practice area?
3.) What are the most rewarding aspects of working as an attorney for XYZ Firm?
4.) What is some of the best advice you have received throughout your legal career?
5.) If unknown, ask how summers are staffed on projects.

Hopefully some other can chime in as our OCI starts next Monday.

Kage3212

Postby Kage3212 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:25 pm

shameless bump

DaftAndDirect

Postby DaftAndDirect » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:46 pm

1. How do you manage your workflow when things are slow/insanely busy?
2. Do you have any advice on how to make the most of your support staff? Answers will probably be generic but at least it will show that you understand that efficiency/ability to delegate is important even for a first-year associate.

Kage3212

Postby Kage3212 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:31 pm

Thoughts on asking about previous clerkships?

For example, "I noticed that you clerked for X circuit, how do you think that has helped you become a better attorney/advocate for your clients?"

Yay or Nay?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:40 pm

Kage3212 wrote:Thoughts on asking about previous clerkships?

For example, "I noticed that you clerked for X circuit, how do you think that has helped you become a better attorney/advocate for your clients?"

Yay or Nay?

Honestly, I think the "how has that helped you" part sounds kind of suck-up-y. If you're looking for stuff to ask about, I would just ask what that was like, did they enjoy it, did they find it beneficial. Maybe ask whether the firm supports people clerking (though that might be dodgy in that if they don't, they might ding you for wanting to clerk. But if they have lots of former clerks on staff, they probably do support it and would be happy you want to try it).

Another question might be, what are the goals for the firm in the next 5-10 years?

Return to “Legal Employment”