SA — In • Out • ?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

In • Out • ?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:12 am

Offered
91
62%
No Offered
33
22%
Still Waiting for outcome
23
16%
 
Total votes: 147

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: SA — In • Out • ?

Postby IAFG » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:22 am

J. D. wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
J. D. wrote:I have a friend who received his offer two weeks ago, but still nothing in writing. Is that unusual or perhaps SOP for some firms?

I think this falls under the “it’s always something” column.


There have always been rumors that this is how some firms cold offer. They then claim, hey, he never accepted our offer.

I do not think it has anything to do with a cold offer but rather just wanting to know if there are any “fine print” surprises.

We heard that one firm unexpectedly upped their salaries by $10K (one report said $15K). I read somewhere on TLS that one firm left the salary TBD. At this point all the firm’s delay accomplishes is fuel unnecessary questions.

It took my firm weeks to send my letter. Fairly sure it's just because sending out offer letters was recruiting's lowest priority at that time.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SA — In • Out • ?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:08 pm

V50 still waiting. This is getting comical. It's been over a month. If it works out, all good. I did three interviews this week, two of which, I think went extremely well. I went outside of OCI so I wasn't sure what to expect. What I got was basically the callback experience I had last year, without the preliminary screener.

Hoping on good news in the next week or two :)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SA — In • Out • ?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:V50 still waiting. This is getting comical. It's been over a month. If it works out, all good. I did three interviews this week, two of which, I think went extremely well. I went outside of OCI so I wasn't sure what to expect. What I got was basically the callback experience I had last year, without the preliminary screener.

Hoping on good news in the next week or two :)



V50 also still waiting

J. D.
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:20 pm

Re: SA — In • Out • ?

Postby J. D. » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:27 pm

The part that is mindboggling is that the SA firm spends a sizeable amount of $ on training the SA crew but because the firm delays and delays their offer the SA goes to OCI and picks up an offer within a week. Then the firm sounds puzzled when the SA says they’ve accepted an offer elsewhere.

How hard is it for the firm to understand that if the SA had been no-offered they would be stuck with $150K in debt? What’s up with that? Is it that remnants of ITE still linger on and it takes the firm forever to figure out the math or if it has always been this way?

lifesucks
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:39 pm

Re: SA — In • Out • ?

Postby lifesucks » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:43 pm

That's because 3Ls without jobs will gladly take those turned down offers. Let's be real, how much "training" actually went into the summer. Firms can easily fill those spots. Plenty of 3Ls at T14 still looking for a job.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SA — In • Out • ?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:56 pm

J. D. wrote:The part that is mindboggling is that the SA firm spends a sizeable amount of $ on training the SA crew but because the firm delays and delays their offer the SA goes to OCI and picks up an offer within a week. Then the firm sounds puzzled when the SA says they’ve accepted an offer elsewhere.

How hard is it for the firm to understand that if the SA had been no-offered they would be stuck with $150K in debt? What’s up with that? Is it that remnants of ITE still linger on and it takes the firm forever to figure out the math or if it has always been this way?



Agreed. I just received an offer from a mid-sized firm that I interviewed with on Friday. My V50 SA firm has not made decisions. I am now four weeks outside of the date that I'd hear at the latest. lol. I haven't accepted or decided whether I will (want to hear from two other interviews), but it's kind of funny.

At least I think it's funny. I'm very happy though to have an offer.

stoogesreal
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:20 pm

Re: SA — In • Out • ?

Postby stoogesreal » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:13 pm

Now that you have an offer, call your summer firm...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SA — In • Out • ?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:14 pm

stoogesreal wrote:Now that you have an offer, call your summer firm...


I get it. I'm probably going to call them though to tell them I'm accepting at firm xyz. I liked them a lot, but the other firm is a perfect fit for what I need.

Did not update earlier, but called other firm. I now have 2 offers and am waiting on SA firm.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SA — In • Out • ?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:42 am

This has come up a few times in this thread, but I thought I'd see how you all handled it. If you hear from another firm before you hear from the firm you SA at, what is the best way to tell your SA firm. Obviously, whether one wants an offer from SA firm or not, it is necessary to be polite, but how did you all do this? Did you do anything different if you wanted to accept non-SA firm v. basically asking for a SA offer?

J. D.
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:20 pm

Re: SA — In • Out • ?

Postby J. D. » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
J. D. wrote:The part that is mindboggling is that the SA firm spends a sizeable amount of $ on training the SA crew but because the firm delays and delays their offer the SA goes to OCI and picks up an offer within a week. Then the firm sounds puzzled when the SA says they’ve accepted an offer elsewhere.

How hard is it for the firm to understand that if the SA had been no-offered they would be stuck with $150K in debt? What’s up with that? Is it that remnants of ITE still linger on and it takes the firm forever to figure out the math or if it has always been this way?



Agreed. I just received an offer from a mid-sized firm that I interviewed with on Friday. My V50 SA firm has not made decisions. I am now four weeks outside of the date that I'd hear at the latest. lol. I haven't accepted or decided whether I will (want to hear from two other interviews), but it's kind of funny.

At least I think it's funny. I'm very happy though to have an offer.

Congrats on your offer.

I suppose the earlier point I was trying to make, not only does the SA firm have $ invested in SA training but also 10-12 weeks invested in evaluating their SAs. With that in mind, I do not understand the reason for delays, especially if the firm has a lot of business (which is what I experienced).

What I have come away with is that some firms are quick and others are slow as molasses. I guess some firms are OK with receiving daily emails thanking them for the experience from their “to be offered” candidates who accepted somewhere else. The fact that firms are not in lockstep with their timing is just the way it is.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SA — In • Out • ?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:55 am

My firm finally made offers today. It is a V50.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.