District Attorneys' Offices 2014

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: District Attorneys' Offices 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:08 pm

bump for any word from anything Massachusetts?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:bump for any word from anything Massachusetts?

I believe that Middlesex is pretty much done making offers. They were calling people about two weeks ago to invite them in for final interviews with DA Ryan on Jan 28. But Middlesex wanted a commitment beforehand that you would accept an offer at the interview. In other words, I assume that the people who went in for interviews on the 28th all accepted their offers on the spot since they had already committed verbally.

Suffolk is calling for first-round interviews.

Not sure about other counties in MA. I'd imagine that outside of Middlesex/Suffolk, the hiring process is more or less done on an as-needed basis with an office's 3L interns getting a big boost.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I believe that Middlesex is pretty much done making offers. They were calling people about two weeks ago to invite them in for final interviews with DA Ryan on Jan 28. But Middlesex wanted a commitment beforehand that you would accept an offer at the interview. In other words, I assume that the people who went in for interviews on the 28th all accepted their offers on the spot since they had already committed verbally.

Not sure about other counties in MA. I'd imagine that outside of Middlesex/Suffolk, the hiring process is more or less done on an as-needed basis with an office's 3L interns getting a big boost.

From what I have heard, it seems like Middlesex has not even interviewed a great deal of their pool (including myself). I certainly expect a first interview, given that I have done a 3:03 internship there. What makes you say that they are done making offers? Are you only basing that on the fact that you know that they have made some offers?

objctnyrhnr

Postby objctnyrhnr » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Are you willing to share how many offers were made, that you know of?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:32 am

objctnyrhnr wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Are you willing to share how many offers were made, that you know of?

I don't know exactly how many offers were made, although I do know that some were definitely made on the 28th.

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

From what I have heard, it seems like Middlesex has not even interviewed a great deal of their pool (including myself). I certainly expect a first interview, given that I have done a 3:03 internship there. What makes you say that they are done making offers? Are you only basing that on the fact that you know that they have made some offers?

I'm basing that conclusion on two things: (1) They said that they were planning on doing the final round interviews "all in one day on the 28th." (2) They required a commitment before the interview that you would definitely accept an offer if one were extended. I suppose that's not an airtight case for concluding that no more offers are coming. But I think it's a safe basis for inferring that a vast majority of offers have been made, which is essentially what I said in my OP.

Sorry if that's bad news for anyone. Just thought I'd pass along the information since this thread has been helpful in my search.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:38 am

some like 2-5 that you know of, or like 5-10, or what?

Also, making entry-level applicants commit to a job before meeting with an AG or a DA in MA is pretty standard.

Did the people that you know apply to the office directly, or did they do the BC OCI in the fall?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:59 pm

Philly ding via mail today. Good luck everyone else.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Philly ding via mail today. Good luck everyone else.

+1. Out of State

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:50 pm

Received/Accepted an offer from the Philly DA earlier this month. I've heard from others that they have sent out rejection letters. Possible that they are through w/ hiring for the cycle. But all offers are contingent on passing the PA Bar on the first try, so there's always a chance of getting an offer in Oct/Nov if some of the new hires fail.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:13 am

Anyone received an offer from Nassau or Queens?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone received an offer from Nassau or Queens?

I did. I also have a good friend who received an offer from Nassau almost an hour after her interview with DA Rice, and a Queens offer shortly after

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I did. I also have a good friend who received an offer from Nassau almost an hour after her interview with DA Rice, and a Queens offer shortly after

For the Queens offer(s), did either of you intern there previously?

encore1101

Postby encore1101 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I did, in the summer between 2L and 3L, but she didn't.

My time frame was: second round interview late november, third round was a week before X-Mas, got the offer shortly after New Years

Hers was a little different, I know she got first round through OCI, third round was mid January, and got the offer a week later, but that was because she had the pending offer from Nassau

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:38 am

encore1101 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I did, in the summer between 2L and 3L, but she didn't.

My time frame was: second round interview late november, third round was a week before X-Mas, got the offer shortly after New Years

Hers was a little different, I know she got first round through OCI, third round was mid January, and got the offer a week later, but that was because she had the pending offer from Nassau

Sort of crazy how these offices say they aren't hiring until February and April, respectively. Clearly that just isn't the case. Congrats to the two of you though- Did you both accept at Queens?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sort of crazy how these offices say they aren't hiring until February and April, respectively. Clearly that just isn't the case. Congrats to the two of you though- Did you both accept at Queens?

Thanks! Yeah, we both did. I'm sure it was because she had pending offers from other offices (even other than Nassau), and I've networked pretty extensively at Queens.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I had a final round in Nassau and was told I would hear in April, but if I got an offer somewhere else to contact them. Not sure of my confidence level now....

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I had a final round in Nassau and was told I would hear in April, but if I got an offer somewhere else to contact them. Not sure of my confidence level now....

I just got a letter to schedule a final round at Nassau. How was your final round? Hypos? Any tough questions? Also they didn't talk about my writing sample at all during my second round. Did DA Rice bring it up at all?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I just got a letter to schedule a final round at Nassau. How was your final round? Hypos? Any tough questions? Also they didn't talk about my writing sample at all during my second round. Did DA Rice bring it up at all?

Totally different experience. I got hammered on my writing sample in 2nd round. No hypos 3rd round, just rapid fire questions based on resume and interests. I thought it went well overall.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Also, from what I'm hearing everyone has had a different experience; luck of the draw.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also, from what I'm hearing everyone has had a different experience; luck of the draw.

She's also running for Congress so who knows what's going on in that office now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:06 pm

Has anyone heard from Miami State Atty's Office?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:10 pm

If more people are willing to share what the 3rd round with DA Rice in Nassau was like, I am very interested in hearing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from Miami State Atty's Office?

Current employee there. I know that 1 offer has gone out and has been accepted. And I know there were a few people who got round 3s who haven't heard anything yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from Miami State Atty's Office?

Current employee there. I know that 1 offer has gone out and has been accepted. And I know there were a few people who got round 3s who haven't heard anything yet.

(Am a different person than the Anon poster above)

Do you happen to know how many people who make it to the 3rd round get an offer? I've heard completely different things, from the 3rd interview being (almost) a formality and an offer is very likely, to making it to the 3rd round doesn't mean anything necessarily. And do you know the general timeline for hiring? Just wondering if I missed the hiring boat for Miami since I have no offer at this point.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:If more people are willing to share what the 3rd round with DA Rice in Nassau was like, I am very interested in hearing.

I interviewed with her last week. It was DA Rice and another Executive ADA. The Executive ADA actually spoke to me more than DA Rice did. There wasn't hypos given-- but more questions like 'do you think you could go forward if there was x, y and z.'

Pretty laid back and informal. About a half hour long.

Return to “Legal Employment”