District Attorneys' Offices 2014

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
linkx13

Re: District Attorneys' Offices 2014

Postby linkx13 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:20 pm

Can anyone give me an idea about how hard it is to get a summer internship in a NYC DA office as a 1L?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from the Bronx after Christmas about a 3rd round? I had heard they were making all/most offers by Christmas but haven't received a rejection yet, so still hoping.

I'm in the same boat. People earlier in this thread (or the Bronx DA thread) said they received rejections so I'm holding out hope until I hear bad news.
I would think that nothing is happening until after Jan 1 though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from the Bronx after Christmas about a 3rd round? I had heard they were making all/most offers by Christmas but haven't received a rejection yet, so still hoping.

I'm in the same boat. People earlier in this thread (or the Bronx DA thread) said they received rejections so I'm holding out hope until I hear bad news.

I'm also still waiting to hear.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:09 pm

Has anyone had a second round with Nassau? How did it go?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:27 am

linkx13 wrote:Can anyone give me an idea about how hard it is to get a summer internship in a NYC DA office as a 1L?

Only for the Manhattan DA's office.

I was there as a 1L. Each class has 50 legal interns made up of mostly 2L's. My class I was one of nine 1L's (I think, maybe 10). If memory serves me right, their application closes on 12/15, so hope you've already applied there if that's one you're looking at. Manhattan is definitely the most competitive since it's the only one that pays. I believe the other boroughs are easier to get into. I was hypo'd several times during my interview on topics like Brady, likelihood of suppression, etc., but they weren't testing the Crim Pro/Evidence knowledge I did not have (yet) as much as they were testing my instinctual reaction.

That said, best internship I've had. It's a fantastic office and if you put into it as much as they do, you'll have a great summer and be in a very good position coming back in to the 2L job search.

linkx13

Postby linkx13 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
linkx13 wrote:Can anyone give me an idea about how hard it is to get a summer internship in a NYC DA office as a 1L?

Only for the Manhattan DA's office.

I was there as a 1L. Each class has 50 legal interns made up of mostly 2L's. My class I was one of nine 1L's (I think, maybe 10). If memory serves me right, their application closes on 12/15, so hope you've already applied there if that's one you're looking at. Manhattan is definitely the most competitive since it's the only one that pays. I believe the other boroughs are easier to get into. I was hypo'd several times during my interview on topics like Brady, likelihood of suppression, etc., but they weren't testing the Crim Pro/Evidence knowledge I did not have (yet) as much as they were testing my instinctual reaction.

That said, best internship I've had. It's a fantastic office and if you put into it as much as they do, you'll have a great summer and be in a very good position coming back in to the 2L job search.

That's awesome info thanks. What did you do as a 1l that helped you? Feel free to pm me. I appreciate the info thanks a lot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone had a second round with Nassau? How did it go?

I had one recently. I'm sure it will depend on who is interviewing you, but I did not get a single hypo implicating crim pro or evidence rules. The focus was entirely on why I wanted to be a prosecutor, why I would be great at it, and whether I would do the right/ethical thing. I think that the generality of the discussion just happened naturally as a result of my initial answers, so I would not rule out getting the more traditional hypo stuff. Either way good luck! I had two interviewers, one pretty high up the chain and one very high up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I had one recently. I'm sure it will depend on who is interviewing you, but I did not get a single hypo implicating crim pro or evidence rules. The focus was entirely on why I wanted to be a prosecutor, why I would be great at it, and whether I would do the right/ethical thing. I think that the generality of the discussion just happened naturally as a result of my initial answers, so I would not rule out getting the more traditional hypo stuff. Either way good luck! I had two interviewers, one pretty high up the chain and one very high up.

I too had an interview about 3 weeks ago. Similar questions, why DA, why Nassau. The hypos I got were ethically based and 1 Brady-type tangent. No evidence or anything like that. Similar interviewers to the above posting. To the responder above: When was your interview, have you heard anything yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I too had an interview about 3 weeks ago. Similar questions, why DA, why Nassau. The hypos I got were ethically based and 1 Brady-type tangent. No evidence or anything like that. Similar interviewers to the above posting. To the responder above: When was your interview, have you heard anything yet?

It was only last week. I know their website says you will hear within 30 days but the interviewers said they expected to let me know in about 2 weeks - so I'm guessing somewhere in between those.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:37 pm

Had my second round with Nassau today. They were not as aggressive as the Bronx, but definitely kept me on my toes. They didn't make any reference to my writing sample at all, which I was surprised at. Has anyone heard about third rounds yet? What was the turnaround period like?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

got my rejection today after 2nd round..i am local

desiballa21

Postby desiballa21 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:29 pm

If there's anyone here that's interviewed w/ Manhattan their 1L year, could you PM please. thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:24 pm

Just got an offer from Queens DA. Had my third round on December 19, 2013.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

got my rejection today after 2nd round..i am local

Yep, me too. I was OOS.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just got an offer from Queens DA. Had my third round on December 19, 2013.

Is this for fall class? Did you have a prior connection to the office (internship, paralegal, etc)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just got an offer from Queens DA. Had my third round on December 19, 2013.

Is this for fall class? Did you have a prior connection to the office (internship, paralegal, etc)?

Interned there summer of 2013, had two different ADAs as adjunct professors

A shot in the dark

Postby A shot in the dark » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

If you have any advice, please PM. I really would like to work in Queens.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:54 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:From what I've heard Manhattan, Nassau, Philadelphia and the Bronx all made offers today.

Where did you hear that information from? I got an email from Nassau today specifically stating that they will select the class once the interview process is finished.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:54 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:05 pm

to the person who said they got an email from nassau da - did you have or were you notified about a third round interview there yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It's second hand - I called for a status update on my application at one of the offices and was told that they had a number of applicants call today with offers and specifically said that one of the offers was Nassau.

So they specifically said that they got an offer from Nassau but no where else?

Where did the information from all the other offices come from?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:12 pm

Anyone have any insight into what NY case law you should know before an interview?

Brady
and what else

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any insight into what NY case law you should know before an interview?

Brady
and what else

I've found it to be important to simply know the name of hearings and know what they do.
Know what a Sandavol hearing is, know what a Huntley hearing is, know what a Wade and Mapp hearings are.

Which I guess is all technically case law so

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:From what I've heard Manhattan, Nassau, Philadelphia and the Bronx all made offers today.

The holidays are finally over, it would make sense that offers would start going out. We can probably assume that this will be happening until probably the end of the month if not beyond for some offices

Return to “Legal Employment”