District Attorneys' Offices 2014 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: District Attorneys' Offices 2014

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Congrats! Me too
Hey just curious are you guys from/do you go to school out of state? Still hoping for a call/e-mail here myself.
Yes, I am from out of state.
Cool. Was just asking because it seems like everyone ITT who has gotten a call/e-mail about a first round has been out of state. I'm not and haven't gotten a call, so hoping there's something to that.
Hi I also got the call this morning and I am not from out of state

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Hey just curious are you guys from/do you go to school out of state? Still hoping for a call/e-mail here myself.
Yes, I am from out of state.
Cool. Was just asking because it seems like everyone ITT who has gotten a call/e-mail about a first round has been out of state. I'm not and haven't gotten a call, so hoping there's something to that.
I'm the second poster who got a call, I go to school out of state also but am from LI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:12 pm

Seems my theory has become defunct.

tootiefruitie523

New

Post by tootiefruitie523 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:44 pm

Has anyone heard anything from Philly? I had my second (and final) round in mid-November, was told that they would start telling people towards the end of December; counting time off for Xmas, it is getting towards the end of December.

Also, anyone apply to and/or hear anything from Boston (Suffolk County)? I applied on Oct. 31 (first day app was open), and haven't heard nary a word, good or bad.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Seems my theory has become defunct.

I wouldn't read too much into if you got called back or not just yet. Their interview scheduling is slightly odd "E-mail us your non-availability during the first two weeks of January." There's no way they could fit everybody they were interested in. I'm sure there's a method to their madness.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had 2nd and 3rd round in early November / late October.

2nd Round: three ADAs, some hypos. Like every poster has said here, don't worry about knowing substantive law. They want to know what your instincts are. This interview felt way more casual (at least to me) than I had expected. They didn't really grill me, they gave me plenty of time to answer questions thoroughly before following up.

3rd Round: executive panel. This was way more intense. Panelists would jump in and interrupt me halfway through answers. We talked a lot more about substantive law. They based their questions off of my 2L summer work experience (working in DOJ section) and my writing sample. They also grilled me more about me personally: why I wanted to be an ADA, why DANY / NYC, etc.

Felt horrible after round 3, but I think that's pretty common. Just smile and try to get through it, honestly.

Anyway, no word from them yet on 4th Round or rejection. According to DANY-specific thread, rejection comes by mail, so I'm wearily keeping an eye on my mailbox.

YMMV.

My second round was more intense. I had one hypo, but the ADAs grilled me and they looked at me like I was crazy when I answered. At one point, one said said "Wow, that's really your answer?" It was unnerving, but at least they seemed engaged.

Third round was completely opposite. They asked me general stuff, I probably said some stuff I shouldn't have, but I did in the interest of being completely honest. No hypo, but they asked me about a Moot Court competition I had recently won. One started to argue with me about the issue of the moot court problem, even though I agreed with him, but I had to defend my position as if I didn't. Odd. The interviewers seemed more disinterested than my first round ADA or the second round panel.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I wouldn't read too much into if you got called back or not just yet. Their interview scheduling is slightly odd "E-mail us your non-availability during the first two weeks of January." There's no way they could fit everybody they were interested in. I'm sure there's a method to their madness.
I completely agree. If there's one thing I've learned during this process is you can't predict how the offices are handling their interviewing/scheduling. They all have their own timetables and procedures

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I completely agree. If there's one thing I've learned during this process is you can't predict how the offices are handling their interviewing/scheduling. They all have their own timetables and procedures
I agree, however I do find it odd that they're calling some people and e-mailing others. I wonder why that it is.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:35 am

tootiefruitie523 wrote:Has anyone heard anything from Philly? I had my second (and final) round in mid-November, was told that they would start telling people towards the end of December; counting time off for Xmas, it is getting towards the end of December.

Also, anyone apply to and/or hear anything from Boston (Suffolk County)? I applied on Oct. 31 (first day app was open), and haven't heard nary a word, good or bad.
I was told the same thing by Philly (they said they are trying to get offers out by the New Year)- I still haven't heard

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My second round was more intense. I had one hypo, but the ADAs grilled me and they looked at me like I was crazy when I answered. At one point, one said said "Wow, that's really your answer?" It was unnerving, but at least they seemed engaged.

Third round was completely opposite. They asked me general stuff, I probably said some stuff I shouldn't have, but I did in the interest of being completely honest. No hypo, but they asked me about a Moot Court competition I had recently won. One started to argue with me about the issue of the moot court problem, even though I agreed with him, but I had to defend my position as if I didn't. Odd. The interviewers seemed more disinterested than my first round ADA or the second round panel.
Disinterest is definitely the right word to describe round 3.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I agree, however I do find it odd that they're calling some people and e-mailing others. I wonder why that it is.
Now you freaked me out. I got an email instead of a call

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Now you freaked me out. I got an email instead of a call

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:26 am

Does anyone know whether a competing offer helps or hurts your chances with another office? Particularly if that office is very select and takes a long time to respond?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:28 pm

Anyone know whats the consensus on sending thank yous after a first round interview with a DA's office?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know whether a competing offer helps or hurts your chances with another office? Particularly if that office is very select and takes a long time to respond?
I think it can go either way to be honest. When I left my third round interview at the Bronx they told me to call them if I got any other offers which I think in my case would help me. At the same time, I know of people who have gotten other offers and informed their other prospects and were simply taken out of the running.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:04 pm

Anyone who had a third round for the Bronx Sept. class heard about an offer? I saw one poster in the Bronx thread who received an offer, didn't know if there was anyone else.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone who had a third round for the Bronx Sept. class heard about an offer? I saw one poster in the Bronx thread who received an offer, didn't know if there was anyone else.
I had my third round yesterday, and I received an offer last night.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone who had a third round for the Bronx Sept. class heard about an offer? I saw one poster in the Bronx thread who received an offer, didn't know if there was anyone else.
I am 'patiently' waiting for a call from them. How long ago did you interview? I'm at 2 and a half weeks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
can I ask if you have another offer or something somewhere that made them make a decision so quickly?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
can I ask if you have another offer or something somewhere that made them make a decision so quickly?

Interested in this too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:27 pm

Regular mail ding from Suffolk. Pretty surprised since I have had interviews with every other NY office, was born and raised on LI and went to undergrad in Suffolk. Oh well.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Interested in this too.
No other offers. The only thing I can think of that made them send me a decision so early was I'm farther along in other offices

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I had my third round yesterday, and I received an offer last night.

Interested in this too.
No other offers. The only thing I can think of that made them send me a decision so early was I'm farther along in other offices
Thanks for letting us know.
This is the second time I've heard about someone getting a really quick turn around on the decision and it's starting to make me pretty nervous to be honest

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:16 pm

I have a few friends who were hired in the last few classes, and their timeline for a response was anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. I'm honestly beginning to think that the timing of these responses from offices are just to mess with your head.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a few friends who were hired in the last few classes, and their timeline for a response was anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. I'm honestly beginning to think that the timing of these responses from offices are just to mess with your head.
Yeah, it really seems like "no news is good news" is the only approach to take. And reading this thread is certainly not helping my anxiety about hearing back.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”