District Attorneys' Offices 2014

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: District Attorneys' Offices 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any one receive a first round with Suffolk (LI) yet?

Applied 4 weeks ago. Just got an email today saying they'd like to interview me. I assume that all people who made it to the first round will be getting this email in the next day or so. It seems like interviews are being conducted the first few weeks of January.

Mind sharing your stats? I applied as soon as they started accepting apps (can't remember when that was, Aug or Sept). Also, does anyone know if they let people who are rejected know?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:13 am

Got the same email about Suffolk this morning too. Out-of-town, stats are horrible, but a lot of great prosecution stuff on my resume. We'll see how it goes!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:Got the same email about Suffolk this morning too. Out-of-town, stats are horrible, but a lot of great prosecution stuff on my resume. We'll see how it goes!

Do you have Long Island ties?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:Got the same email about Suffolk this morning too. Out-of-town, stats are horrible, but a lot of great prosecution stuff on my resume. We'll see how it goes!

When did you apply?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:

When did you apply?

I applied back in Aug./Sept. And yes I have LI ties.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Applied 4 weeks ago. Just got an email today saying they'd like to interview me. I assume that all people who made it to the first round will be getting this email in the next day or so. It seems like interviews are being conducted the first few weeks of January.

Mind sharing your stats? I applied as soon as they started accepting apps (can't remember when that was, Aug or Sept). Also, does anyone know if they let people who are rejected know?

OP Here. Top 10% at midwest school that is lower T to higher TT. Law Review, done mostly criminal law work including with PD and DAs. Like I said applied 4 weeks ago, no LI or NY ties (yet). Also I applied via email, so maybe they are mailing out letters to those who applied via mail.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

OP Here. Top 10% at midwest school that is lower T to higher TT. Law Review, done mostly criminal law work including with PD and DAs. Like I said applied 4 weeks ago, no LI or NY ties (yet). Also I applied via email, so maybe they are mailing out letters to those who applied via mail.

Thanks for sharing! I'm top 1/3 at a T20 out of state and I have significant ties to LI. Some criminal experience. I also applied in Aug/Sept. ( I think the first day they were accepting apps) but I sent an updated resume a few weeks ago, I'm hoping that they're still sending out emails, Suffolk is my first choice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm hoping that's the case - I mailed in an app and have yet to hear

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:42 pm

Another 3L hoping for a DA job. Here's how I've been doing so far

Bronx DA: 3rd round 2 weeks ago and now just waiting
Nassau: 3rd round interview scheduled today
Queens: rejected for a third round
Suffolk: applied back in September-- still haven't heard anything.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Another 3L hoping for a DA job. Here's how I've been doing so far

No Manhattan?
And re: Bronx - did you get any sense when you would hear from them?

Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Another 3L hoping for a DA job. Here's how I've been doing so far

No Manhattan?

Good luck!

Applied to Manhattan in early September but not even a screener :(

Bronx didn't give me any sense of when a potential offer could come. The sense I'm getting is that they seem to be trying to lock down their January class first as they are starting them in just a few weeks.

I think last year offers started going out around the 15th or 16th.

Thank you!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

No Manhattan?

Good luck!

Bronx didn't give me any sense of when a potential offer could come. The sense I'm getting is that they seem to be trying to lock down their January class first as they are starting them in just a few weeks.

Thank you!

I see, thanks. And I was rejected by Manhattan after two interviews so I can empathize. Here's to hoping something else sticks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

No Manhattan?

Good luck!

Thank you!

I see, thanks. And I was rejected by Manhattan after two interviews so I can empathize. Here's to hoping something else sticks.

Let's hope! I would be very happy in the Bronx so I'm really hoping that one comes through

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

When did you apply?

A little disappointed that I didn't receive this e-mail as I have strong LI ties and got interviews at the other NY offices. Hopefully that wasn't the only day they're e-mailing about first rounds and more of us will hear next week. I would really like to live in Suffolk.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

When did you apply?

A little disappointed that I didn't receive this e-mail as I have strong LI ties and got interviews at the other NY offices. Hopefully that wasn't the only day they're e-mailing about first rounds and more of us will hear next week. I would really like to live in Suffolk.

That's how I'm feeling. I've gotten such a strong response from NYC offices and the Nassau office that I'm surprised that I haven't heard a thing from Suffolk

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
When did you apply?

That's how I'm feeling. I've gotten such a strong response from NYC offices and the Nassau office that I'm surprised that I haven't heard a thing from Suffolk

Me too. I don't want to presumptuous but I'm surprised I haven't heard back. I've interviewed at a number of NY offices and I have ties to Suffolk. I'm really hoping that there are more emails going out. Since all the people who have heard back applied early maybe they're going in the order that apps were received.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:16 am

Any 2nd rounds for Queens scheduled lately? [OCI or otherwise?]
Any 4th rounds or rejections for Manhattan? [without other competing offers]

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:55 am

I have a third round at Manhattan coming up in a few weeks. Can anyone who has had a third round there give me a sense of what the interview was like? I know that the interview is with the executive panel, but were the questions similar to the first two rounds? Were there hypos, etc.? Appreciate the info.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a third round at Manhattan coming up in a few weeks. Can anyone who has had a third round there give me a sense of what the interview was like? I know that the interview is with the executive panel, but were the questions similar to the first two rounds? Were there hypos, etc.? Appreciate the info.

I have a second round, could you shed any light on what the second round is like? I know there are hypo's, but do they grill you pretty hard? About how long was the second round? Thanks

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Me too. I don't want to presumptuous but I'm surprised I haven't heard back. I've interviewed at a number of NY offices and I have ties to Suffolk. I'm really hoping that there are more emails going out. Since all the people who have heard back applied early maybe they're going in the order that apps were received.

Got the call from Suffolk this morning for a first round in January

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:52 pm

Had 2nd and 3rd round in early November / late October.

2nd Round: three ADAs, some hypos. Like every poster has said here, don't worry about knowing substantive law. They want to know what your instincts are. This interview felt way more casual (at least to me) than I had expected. They didn't really grill me, they gave me plenty of time to answer questions thoroughly before following up.

3rd Round: executive panel. This was way more intense. Panelists would jump in and interrupt me halfway through answers. We talked a lot more about substantive law. They based their questions off of my 2L summer work experience (working in DOJ section) and my writing sample. They also grilled me more about me personally: why I wanted to be an ADA, why DANY / NYC, etc.

Felt horrible after round 3, but I think that's pretty common. Just smile and try to get through it, honestly.

Anyway, no word from them yet on 4th Round or rejection. According to DANY-specific thread, rejection comes by mail, so I'm wearily keeping an eye on my mailbox.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Got the call from Suffolk this morning for a first round in January

Congrats! Me too

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Got the call from Suffolk this morning for a first round in January

Congrats! Me too

Hey just curious are you guys from/do you go to school out of state? Still hoping for a call/e-mail here myself.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Congrats! Me too

Hey just curious are you guys from/do you go to school out of state? Still hoping for a call/e-mail here myself.

Yes, I am from out of state.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Congrats! Me too

Yes, I am from out of state.

Cool. Was just asking because it seems like everyone ITT who has gotten a call/e-mail about a first round has been out of state. I'm not and haven't gotten a call, so hoping there's something to that.

Return to “Legal Employment”