District Attorneys' Offices 2014

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: District Attorneys' Offices 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Had second round interview with Bronx right before Thanksgiving, and I know they called at least one of my references last week- when should I be hearing about 3rd round?

For Bronx 2nd Round - did anyone else get a really hard hypothetical?

Mine was extremely easy. Death of a witness.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:04 pm

[quote="Anonymous User"]Yeah, every office says that bit about another offer. So is it that there is actually a designated time in the year where offers are given OR is there a separate timetable for "special" people who manage to extract an early offer from another office? I demand that all offices fall in line with my dichotomy. And I demand transparency, generally.

Sadly, I have absolutely no stature with which to make such demands.

I think most offices follow a designated schedule...unless you either 1. interned at the office or 2. have an offer from another reputable office and they really like you. I've heard of people with offers that end up getting rejection letters from other places. It really is a crapshoot and depends on if your interviewers really like you or not.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:39 pm

Just got the call to schedule a 3rd round interview. 2nd round interview was in the first week of November[/quote]

did you schedule the 3rd round before christmas?[/quote]

Yea I scheduled it for next week.

Re references: My references told me they were called about a week after my second round interview.

linkx13

Postby linkx13 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone ITT elaborate what they did in law school that they think helped them get an interview? Putting your school is also useful, if you want.

Criminal Law work for me. Did an PD internship 1L summer, a DA internship 2L summer, now in my schools Prosecutor Clinic.

Also interested in this. Any other opinions?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:33 pm

linkx13 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone ITT elaborate what they did in law school that they think helped them get an interview? Putting your school is also useful, if you want.

Criminal Law work for me. Did an PD internship 1L summer, a DA internship 2L summer, now in my schools Prosecutor Clinic.

Also interested in this. Any other opinions?

I go to a iowa/uiuc/indiana/minn type school. Got interviews with all the usual places and recently accepted at a west coast office. Resume screamed DA/Govt work. internships with state AG office and various prosecutor offices 1L summer, throughout 2L year, 2L summer, and 3L year. Took every crim/trial ad class offered 2nd year.

i think the most important thing is just showing commitment to the job. a lot of students i know now who are gunning for DA/PD work have nothing on their resume related to that type of work, or, if they do, it doesnt show up until it seems like they are out of options.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:57 pm

Have a third round scheduled for next week. References were not called.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have a third round scheduled for next week. References were not called.

Assuming this is for Bronx, when was your second round?? And how long after were you contacted?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Have a third round scheduled for next week. References were not called.

Assuming this is for Bronx, when was your second round?? And how long after were you contacted?

Yes it is for the Bronx, my bad. Interview was mid-November. Took about three weeks to hear back.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:06 pm

If anyone had a third round, can you please give some insight into what to expect? Also, did you receive an offer after the third or have to wait?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If anyone had a third round, can you please give some insight into what to expect? Also, did you receive an offer after the third or have to wait?

The third round is very short; 5 to 10 minutes at the most. It is with the DA and a couple other senior ADAs and I think it is just to see if you are someone they would be comfortable putting in front of a jury. The questions are simple "why prosecution, why Bronx," so I don't know how they decide who to cut based on this interview. Maybe it depends on your recommendations.

I did not get an offer on the spot, although I did get an offer via phone later the same day.

Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:51 pm

Has anyone gotten a rejection letter from Manhattan yet? If so, in what form? Snail mail or email?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone gotten a rejection letter from Manhattan yet? If so, in what form? Snail mail or email?

rejection came via snail mail.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If anyone had a third round, can you please give some insight into what to expect? Also, did you receive an offer after the third or have to wait?

The third round is very short; 5 to 10 minutes at the most. It is with the DA and a couple other senior ADAs and I think it is just to see if you are someone they would be comfortable putting in front of a jury. The questions are simple "why prosecution, why Bronx," so I don't know how they decide who to cut based on this interview. Maybe it depends on your recommendations.

I did not get an offer on the spot, although I did get an offer via phone later the same day.

Good luck!

Congrats! And according to the Bronx DA website, last year DA Johnson interview 122 and 80 were hired...so it isn't just a formality.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Good luck!

Thank you!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone gotten a rejection letter from Manhattan yet? If so, in what form? Snail mail or email?

I'm sorry to hear. After which round?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Damn, sorry to hear that. :( How long since your last round until you received the rejection?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm sorry to hear. After which round?

It was about two weeks or so after round 2..got the letter a few weeks ago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:50 pm

For the poster who got the call the same day, were you interviewing for the Sept. class or the Jan. class? Trying to get a sense if Sept. offers have begun going out since they have been doing third rounds.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For the poster who got the call the same day, were you interviewing for the Sept. class or the Jan. class? Trying to get a sense if Sept. offers have begun going out since they have been doing third rounds.

Sorry this was in reference to the Bronx offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For the poster who got the call the same day, were you interviewing for the Sept. class or the Jan. class? Trying to get a sense if Sept. offers have begun going out since they have been doing third rounds.

January. I don't know whether offers have been made for the September class, sorry.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

January. I don't know whether offers have been made for the September class, sorry.

No worries. Thanks for the good info!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:19 pm

Scheduled third round with Queens DA today; had second round about two-three weeks ago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Good luck!

Congrats! And according to the Bronx DA website, last year DA Johnson interview 122 and 80 were hired...so it isn't just a formality.

Still a pretty sizable chunk though; there's bound to be people included in there that had third round with Bronx but decided to work elsewhere. I'd imagine its somewhere in between formality and actual interview, but more leaning towards formality.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Good luck!

Still a pretty sizable chunk though; there's bound to be people included in there that had third round with Bronx but decided to work elsewhere. I'd imagine its somewhere in between formality and actual interview, but more leaning towards formality.

Only 60 were actually hired though (there is a press release about it on the website)-- that means that 20 probably turned them down for one reason or another and they sent out a second wave of offers

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:05 pm

Congrats! And according to the Bronx DA website, last year DA Johnson interview 122 and 80 were hired...so it isn't just a formality.[/quote]

Still a pretty sizable chunk though; there's bound to be people included in there that had third round with Bronx but decided to work elsewhere. I'd imagine its somewhere in between formality and actual interview, but more leaning towards formality.[/quote]

Only 60 were actually hired though (there is a press release about it on the website)-- that means that 20 probably turned them down for one reason or another and they sent out a second wave of offers[/quote]

Actually, the 80 ADA figure seems to combine the 60 in the September class and the 20 in the January class in 2013. So I'd assume the entire statistic represents hiring for both classes.

Return to “Legal Employment”