District Attorneys' Offices 2014

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: District Attorneys' Offices 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if Miami asking you to fill out a background check means they plan on making an offer? Or do they ask everyone who makes it to the second and third rounds to fill it out?

And has anyone in general heard anything out of Miami lately?

I believe they make everyone who makes it to the second round fill it out.

I had my 3rd round with Miami about a month ago, but have not heard anything.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey everyone,

I don't know if this was addressed somewhere already in this thread, but when would you advise current 3L to start applying to DA offices? I know most offices don't hire until after the summer bar, so I didn't know if we should wait until the end of the spring semester. Thanks!

You should apply to DAs offices in August/September/October of your 3L year. Most NY offices have deadlines that passed, but I do not believe that they all do.

Thank you for the response.

I'm probably asking a question that you don't know the answer to, but do you know if other markets generally want us to apply that early?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey everyone,

I don't know if this was addressed somewhere already in this thread, but when would you advise current 3L to start applying to DA offices? I know most offices don't hire until after the summer bar, so I didn't know if we should wait until the end of the spring semester. Thanks!

You should apply to DAs offices in August/September/October of your 3L year. Most NY offices have deadlines that passed, but I do not believe that they all do.

Thank you for the response.

I'm probably asking a question that you don't know the answer to, but do you know if other markets generally want us to apply that early?

All of the main markets (Philly, Queens, Chicago) are done if you havent already applied. You would have to try small towns etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:12 am

Has anyone heard back on a timeline for decisions for the Philly 2L program?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard back on a timeline for decisions for the Philly 2L program?
Has anyone heard about 3L positions yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard back on a timeline for decisions for the Philly 2L program?
Has anyone heard about 3L positions yet?

the first wave of hiring 3Ls went out about a month ago

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:17 pm

Anyone else apply to the Baltimore City SAO? Their website doesn't really have any info about how the hiring process works (timeline, number of interviews, number of offers etc). Just curious if anyone had some insight.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else apply to the Baltimore City SAO? Their website doesn't really have any info about how the hiring process works (timeline, number of interviews, number of offers etc). Just curious if anyone had some insight.

I sent a resume in September and got a letter back saying they don't hire pre-bar.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:44 pm

To the poster who said Philly had already started their hiring...where did you get that information? When I did my second round they said they wouldn't make decisions for 3Ls until almost the new year. Did they up that timeline?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else apply to the Baltimore City SAO? Their website doesn't really have any info about how the hiring process works (timeline, number of interviews, number of offers etc). Just curious if anyone had some insight.

I sent a resume in September and got a letter back saying they don't hire pre-bar.

OP here. That's odd. I've already had a panel interview with them. Didn't think to ask the panel about the hiring process though. Maybe they make some offers pre-bar? I have no idea.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:To the poster who said Philly had already started their hiring...where did you get that information? When I did my second round they said they wouldn't make decisions for 3Ls until almost the new year. Did they up that timeline?

I'm not the person who posted that. But Philly's website says that they make some offers to their 2L summer interns in November. Maybe that's what the poster was referring to?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I hear that Baltimore has some strange hiring practices. Big emphasis on clerkships and/or rank of your law school. Several people who had been hired don't have any prior prosecution or criminal defense internships. Some people have even been upfront at the interview that they intend to use the job as a stepping stone for private practice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I hear that Baltimore has some strange hiring practices. Big emphasis on clerkships and/or rank of your law school. Several people who had been hired don't have any prior prosecution or criminal defense internships. Some people have even been upfront at the interview that they intend to use the job as a stepping stone for private practice.

Thanks for the info. I really liked the office when I interviewed there and am pretty sure it's my top choice. Do you know if they make any offers pre-bar?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To the poster who said Philly had already started their hiring...where did you get that information? When I did my second round they said they wouldn't make decisions for 3Ls until almost the new year. Did they up that timeline?

That was me. I go to school with people who have received and accepted offers. And to clarify, I'm talking about 3Ls being hired as ADAs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:38 am

Has anyone had or scheduled a 3rd round with the bronx?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone had or scheduled a 3rd round with the bronx?

I know of people who have had 3rd rounds. I was also told that more 3rd rounds are happening this week. I had a 2nd myself last week and am hoping to hear good news asap.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:41 am

I had a third round, but it was for the January class. Are you a current 3L? Just a guess, but they might be doing the January class third rounds before the September class.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I had a third round, but it was for the January class. Are you a current 3L? Just a guess, but they might be doing the January class third rounds before the September class.

I know they are doing 3rd rounds for Sept. There were a bunch of us there last week interviewing for the Sept. class. It seems they are moving forward quickly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:tagged

new to the message boards; what does "tagged" mean? :oops:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:15 pm

Hey, has anyone who had a 3rd round with Manhattan hear back yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I know they are doing 3rd rounds for Sept. There were a bunch of us there last week interviewing for the Sept. class. It seems they are moving forward quickly.

How long ago was your second round? Were references called before the third round?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey, has anyone who had a 3rd round with Manhattan hear back yet?

I had my 3rd round in early november, have not heard back yet

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey, has anyone who had a 3rd round with Manhattan hear back yet?

I had my 3rd round in early november, have not heard back yet

Did they give you a timeline, other than the general few weeks to a few months and no news is good news?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

How long ago was your second round? Were references called before the third round?

I would also like to know if references were called - has everyone that is currently doing a third round with the bronx had their references called? If so - were those references different from the ones who submitted letters with the application?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:33 pm

For the Manhattan AP's, im not sure if this helps but i was recently called to schedule my 3rd and did so for early Jan. I asked them about the interviews and was told that they will be doing a bulk of third rounds through JAN but a few have had fourth rounds. They make offers on a rolling basis and said i wont be disadvantaged for having a third round in middle of JAN.

Also, i heard back about 3-4 weeks to schedule my third round.

Return to “Legal Employment”